Textbook cost~~~ (1 Viewer)

Kalashnikov47

HSC
I've only got buy 4 (compulsory) textbooks for this semester, which will cost me nearly $400 if I buy all of them brand new from the uni bookshop (after 10% discount).

I think textbooks are ridiculously expensive, some of which have absolutely no use at all throughout the semester and cost about $80!

So I'm starting this thread simply to express my discontent and let it be a hate thread against textbook price.:jedi::jedi::jedi:

piitb

HSC
IN ABOUT 3/4 OF SUBJECTS I dont buy textbook. they are waste of money and too in depth and dont follow the lectures at all......

depends on the subject though....

Andi0390

HSC
My Philosophy book costs me $80 and is written by the lecturer. That kind of annoys me. I mean he says he wrote it especially for this course (he has been teaching for like 40 years) but why would it cost $80? Its like our fees are paying the lecturer, and with our limited extra money we are paying him though royalties, through a book which he could have easily done as a cheaper brick version or something.

To top it of he said in the lecture that 1/3 of the information is in the lectures 1/3 in the the course reader and 1/3 in the textbook. So if I want to know that 1/3 for the test or essay I have to buy the stupid book. Which I did today. I had three books for Sociology, but they were only $30 each and none of them was written by the author, which is how the world should be.

All textbook type things should be limited with a $30 cost.

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
My Philosophy book costs me $80 and is written by the lecturer. That kind of annoys me. I mean he says he wrote it especially for this course (he has been teaching for like 40 years) but why would it cost $80? Its like our fees are paying the lecturer, and with our limited extra money we are paying him though royalties, through a book which he could have easily done as a cheaper brick version or something.

To top it of he said in the lecture that 1/3 of the information is in the lectures 1/3 in the the course reader and 1/3 in the textbook. So if I want to know that 1/3 for the test or essay I have to buy the stupid book. Which I did today. I had three books for Sociology, but they were only $30 each and none of them was written by the author, which is how the world should be.

Maybe for your useless wanky subjects, but this wouldn't work for thick science textbooks.

Kalashnikov47

HSC

I know I know! My uni makes up a rubbish course and a useless textbook and expect to sell it to students for $80 each (which had use at all throughout the course)!

black_kat_meow

hihiwhywhy
HSC
They can't MAKE you buy a textbook. Get them second hand if you can, and check with previous students/ lecturers as to whether it's really necessary to own one, the library copy may be sufficient when needed.

Stop fucking whining like little kids, you're the kind of people at uni who need punch to get over themselves.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
I've only got buy 4 (compulsory) textbooks for this semester, which will cost me nearly $400 if I buy all of them brand new from the uni bookshop (after 10% discount).

I think textbooks are ridiculously expensive, some of which have absolutely no use at all throughout the semester and cost about $80!

So I'm starting this thread simply to express my discontent and let it be a hate thread against textbook price.:jedi::jedi::jedi:
Thats the life of a uni student. I wouldn't complain, as a law student $400 is cheap for a semester. This semester for three subjects mine are about $550 and thats not too bad, I've spent like $800 before. Often we need the new edition as the law changes. Meh, they are expensive but its uni not much you can do about it

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Thats the life of a uni student. I wouldn't complain, as a law student $400 is cheap for a semester. This semester for three subjects mine are about $550 and thats not too bad, I've spent like $800 before. Often we need the new edition as the law changes. Meh, they are expensive but its uni not much you can do about it
:santa:

Doomah

HSC
actually even if you has 3 year old law textbooks, you still could use it and get very high marks. yeah the law changes but not THAT MUCH.

mcflystargirl

HSC
N/A

tbh 80 bucks is not that bad for a textbook, i know most of mine are like 120, and i consider myself lucky in comparison to what i have heard about some students paying.

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
actually even if you has 3 year old law textbooks, you still could use it and get very high marks. yeah the law changes but not THAT MUCH.
That is true, but you must then be very alert to changes in the law as what you are reading is out of date. Just because legislation has not changed, does not mean that the relevant authorities have not. Plus using old editions means you need to figure out what page is required to be read etc!

bregitta

Red is for Rad
HSC
To be honest, I'd be happy paying $80 for a brand new book! That's the going price for secondhand ones for me this semester, with all my books around $120 new. The annoying part for me is that I will only use these textbooks for the one semester, then they will be of no use again. So on top of HECS that's a $350 I'd rather spend elsewhere.

Last year I studied in the medical faculty and was happy to pay over $1000 for all my books, because I'd be using them throughout uni and my career. Shame I hated the course...

jaimebien

HSC
skut8, I got my books (English novels) this semester from BookDepository.co.uk and spent AU$47 in all. It would have cost me $75.33 at Co-op, even after the 10% discount. I do love the free shipping, and within a few days of my order, I got my first book in the mail. The only thing is that the site probably only works for literature or history students. Anyway, if you can find your texts on it, go through this link for a further 10% discount: We missed you The Book Depository

Studentleader

HSC
N/A
Mine was a little like

Sem 1
MATH1010: $130
CITS1200: $130
ECON1101: $75+$11
ACCT1101: $130+$24

Sem 2
MATH1020: $100
CITS1210: $110
ECON1102: $75+$11
CITS2221: $11 + Downloaded notes from Yale University

I doubt I'm going to buy any more after this semester, I have so many E-Books on mathematics, economics, finance and programming its not funny

Uncle

Banned
HSC

louy

HSC
N/A
Books are always expensive. Buying them new is always my last option. Second hand, Library, or even try to blag without a textbook are always prefered choice

HSC
45+21 (core subject - social enterprise shit)
35+3.40 (great books)
105 (intro to forensic psych)
and i havent seen the creative writing dossier yet.

so ~$220 all up.

im pleased.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)