textbook editions (1 Viewer)

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
UNSW's textbook list just came out and I am looking to buy second hand textbooks. I am just wondering whether the editions matter? E.g the list says i need 4th edition but can I use 3rd edition?

Thanks

Omium

Knuckles
HSC
UNSW's textbook list just came out and I am looking to buy second hand textbooks. I am just wondering whether the editions matter? E.g the list says i need 4th edition but can I use 3rd edition?

Thanks
It doesnt matter if its a 1 edition difference.

More than that and its usually still ok.

decypher

HSC
It will depend on the textbook. Usually the editions are very similar (e.g. only types updated, formatting may be different etc). However sometimes there is a huge jump between editions (say if there is a new law passed or scientific discovery) so it really depends on the subject matter as to whether you can get away with the old book. If it's 1st year maths or some intro course then you'll be good with the older cheaper edition, but i wouldn't advise an old law textbook.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

Thanks
I imagine it would just be annoying but not a big issue, like the page numbers will be different, so your lecturer/tutor may tell you to turn to page 80 or something and your page 80 wouldn't be the right one.

wrong_turn

the chosen one
HSC
Uni Grad
just wait until your first lecture and they will tell you whether an older edition is acceptable for the material to be taught

KD

HSC
N/A
Look at the latest edition in the bookstore. There will be a section at the front telling you what has changed since the last edition.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)