Textbook recommendations (1 Viewer)

idkkdi

HSC
Any SPECIFIC recommendations for Chemistry?
From experience I guess.
strive.
might need in focus if ur school likes the prac bs. some half decent stuff.
********* topic tests is quite good i think. atar____notes topic tests book.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
strive.
might need in focus if ur school likes the prac bs. some half decent stuff.
********* topic tests is quite good i think. atar____notes topic tests book.
Yeah, I would have gone with those content-hard textbooks but my school wants us to use In Focus. I was planning on using Pearson for questions, good decision or In Focus and ATAR____Notes Topic tests/KISS Q's better?
Also, I'm planning on buying the ATAR___Notes Topic Test for Chem and Phys, good investment from personal experience or?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Any SPECIFIC recommendations for Chemistry?
From experience I guess.
I don't do chemistry but pretty sure what idkkdi said is what my friends who do chem use as well, and strive physics is also really good because it organises questions in modules so I would assume its naturally good for chem as well. For physics I find pearson the best to use for learning and questions rather than focus or other brands. Most people would stick away from physics textbooks and thats fair since teachers are usually better at teaching the content or they get tutoring but for me I dont have the best physics teacher to put it lightly so I rely on textbooks and online resources to self teach and I've found pearson to be the most effective. Personal preference.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
I don't do chemistry but pretty sure what idkkdi said is what my friends who do chem use as well, and strive physics is also really good because it organises questions in modules so I would assume its naturally good for chem as well. For physics I find pearson the best to use for learning and questions rather than focus or other brands. Personal preference.
Yep, my school uses Pearson as well :D If my school library doesn't have it, I'll have to think about buying it, we'll see.
Also, do you use the Topic Test A___Notes books or heard anything good/bad about them?

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yep, my school uses Pearson as well :D If my school library doesn't have it, I'll have to think about buying it, we'll see.
Also, do you use the Topic Test A___Notes books or heard anything good/bad about them?
ATAR Notes? I'm not sure what you're referring to but Im assuming you're talking about ATAR Notes topic test. I didn't get it currently since I haven't found an online version and I'm not bothered to buy because the Strive Physics Textbook serves the same purpose which I already have. I have seen samples of it and I guess if you have some money to spend, then it could be good? Not sure.

KISS booklets are good as well, my school gives them out for homework. They are good as a form of revision and their explanations are good as well. I just like the formatting of it. I don't think you need to buy it because theres copies floating around the internet but if you want to, then I would say its worth it.

idkkdi

HSC
Yeah, I would have gone with those content-hard textbooks but my school wants us to use In Focus. I was planning on using Pearson for questions, good decision or In Focus and ATAR____Notes Topic tests/KISS Q's better?
Also, I'm planning on buying the ATAR___Notes Topic Test for Chem and Phys, good investment from personal experience or?
do strive chem qs.
what investment? the book is like 30 bucks. worst case scenario u lose 3 big macs.
the chem book is better than the phys. phys has more wrong solutions.

if u do buy pearson you're probably going to end up reading both in focus and pearson. both are somewhat lacking in some areas iirc.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Plus pearson is costly, its like 51 dollars so its quite expensive, but if you can get it for free then its good. Its better off just using your focus book if you already have it. @SweatyAsian#1 By no means am I suggesting you should use textbook for getting better at physics, I find the Strive physics book and other exam module tests more helpful in improving skill. I use the textbook mainly for depth studies and also for some explain/analyse questions which requires content knowledge. I do occasionally do the chapter reviews after finish past papers so I've noticed that the questions in pearson are harder than focus.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Plus pearson is costly, its like 51 dollars so its quite expensive, but if you can get it for free then its good. Its better off just using your focus book if you already have it. @SweatyAsian#1 By no means am I suggesting you should use textbook for getting better at physics, I find the Strive physics book and other exam module tests more helpful in improving skill. I use the textbook mainly for depth studies and also for some explain/analyse questions which requires content knowledge. I do occasionally do the chapter reviews after finish past papers so I've noticed that the questions in pearson are harder than focus.
Yeah, I think my school has Pearson Chemistry textbooks. Also, did you buy the Strive Physics Textbook or your school provides it?

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
do strive chem qs.
what investment? the book is like 30 bucks. worst case scenario u lose 3 big macs.
the chem book is better than the phys. phys has more wrong solutions.

if u do buy pearson you're probably going to end up reading both in focus and pearson. both are somewhat lacking in some areas iirc.
Should I buy Strive Textbooks for Physics and Chemistry, or ATAR___Notes Topic Tests for Physics and Chemistry? Both are the same price i think.

idkkdi

HSC
Should I buy Strive Textbooks for Physics and Chemistry, or ATAR___Notes Topic Tests for Physics and Chemistry? Both are the same price i think.
both

not too sure on atar___notes phys tho, they have quite a few wrong sols.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Yeah, I think my school has Pearson Chemistry textbooks. Also, did you buy the Strive Physics Textbook or your school provides it?
My school doesn't provide Strive Physics, I bought it. Its 32 dollars to be exact but its definitely worth it as it is exam-styled.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
both

not too sure on atar___notes phys tho, they have quite a few wrong sols.
Damn, few wrong solutions?! Kinda leaning towards Strive textbooks instead lol, if you had to choose only one, Strive or ATAR__Notes? (Hypothetically).
Honestly, I'll see if I want to spend more than $50 from what I'm already paying for tutoring.

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
My school doesn't provide Strive Physics, I bought it. Its 32 dollars to be exact but its definitely worth it as it is exam-styled.
Ahh, very nice.
Also, Same question as above, Strive Textbooks or ATAR___Notes? (If you were forced to choose one).

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
Ahh, very nice.
Also, Same question as above, Strive Textbooks or ATAR___Notes? (If you were forced to choose one).
Have you tried ordering from your library? I've seen some libraries with ATAR note books. I have most of my resources from the library and if I really like it, I just buy it.

idkkdi

HSC
Damn, few wrong solutions?! Kinda leaning towards Strive textbooks instead lol, if you had to choose only one, Strive or ATAR__Notes? (Hypothetically).
Honestly, I'll see if I want to spend more than $50 from what I'm already paying for tutoring.
strive, but atar____notes chem is good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)