• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Textbook with worked solutions? (1 Viewer)

lacklustre

HSC
Anyboy here know of any textbook that contains thorough worked solutions (or at least many good examples)? I am sick of trying to find where i went wrong - usually wastes my time. (Cambridge and Fitz esp). I want a book that contains challenging questions also.

Thank you.

kony

HSC
for ext1, it's very uncommon to have worked solutions - i know of a few independent excel books like "maths extension 1 sample exam papers" which has a lot of practice questions.

also there is the phoenix book (green cover) with complete worked solutions, but not a very large number of questions. although, seeing as how it's pretty close to the hsc, it'll probably suffice.

lacklustre

HSC
ssglain said:
Try Terry Lee. He's got pretty coloured diagrams, too.
Can i get this from Dymocks rather than his website?

And why are they goddamn so expensive?

getridofns

Banned
HSC
dont buy terry lee...... the soln. suck and are not beautiful.... maybe that might b the 4 unit books only...

ssglain

HSC
s-AINT said:
Understanding Series is great...
They're great if you're struggling with the basic concepts and need something to guide you along, but don't rely on them to get you through exams. Personally, I really don't like those books because they offer no depth of understanding.

lacklustre said:
Can i get this from Dymocks rather than his website?

And why are they goddamn so expensive?
I think so, but Dymocks would be more expensive. Those damn coloured diagrams. I don't own one, but kony got his for a good price (or not?) - ask him.

morganforrest

HSC
The Fast Track Excel Step-by-step guide isn't too bad....the questions aren't extremely difficult but they give u good grounding in the process you need to follow to tackle harder questions....and i agree that the excel sample exam papers book has heaps of good questions in it

lacklustre

HSC
getridofns said:
dont buy terry lee...... the soln. suck and are not beautiful.... maybe that might b the 4 unit books only...
Is this the general consensus?

*So WOnderful*

HSC
Terry Lee's ext 2 maths book is quite pretty (colouful borders and diagrams - visually appealing:p) and they have worked solutions but he leaves out many of the simple steps (- a good and bad thing).

The Terry Lee ext 1 book, you can't buy from retailers - I think (I don't have access to a Dymocks though) so I just ordered it from Terry Lee myself and had him post it up to me. I'm told there's a new edition of the ext 1 book coming out soon (2008?). His current version is all right, however they don't have worked solutions and the pages have a purple tinge to them and the printing is a bit shoddy at times, but still extremely readable.

morganforrest said:
The Fast Track Excel Step-by-step guide isn't too bad....the questions aren't extremely difficult but they give u good grounding in the process you need to follow to tackle harder questions....and i agree that the excel sample exam papers book has heaps of good questions in it
I concur :uhhuh:

:):)

*So WOnderful*

HSC
lacklustre said:
Is this the general consensus?
:rofl:

I haven't used Terry Lee much. I do when I absolutely don't get a concept and you know how fitzy he leaves out some of the answer (ie graphing), which leaves me unsure.

I'm borderline then...:p

HSC
just find the "worked solutions" to the fitzpatrick books. ask your teacher or library for them. pay me and ill post up the chapters that ive photocopied =D

getridofns

Banned
HSC
why do u guys want colour all the time!

big deal about the colour and the diagrams.. they wont be like that in the tests

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
getridofns said:
errrrr...the soln are great mate dont noe what u talking about he just realised a new ext 1 book...also sometimes he even shows two or three methods of getting the final solution....very few text books are like that

they might be expensive but its worth it!

2syllables

Dango Daikazoku
HSC
getridofns said:
why do u guys want colour all the time!

big deal about the colour and the diagrams.. they wont be like that in the tests
people study better with pictures and colour also the books are colour coded....if the a topic is red then the solution is in red.

and its not FULLY FULLY AND EVERYWORD COLOUR just the edges and some words not much

Teo.Kai

HSC
getridofns said:
Terry Lee Ext. 2 is actually good. You just need to appreciate the variety of approaches he takes to questions of the same type. And they're not too hard to follow either >>"

Extension Two textbook Excel by S.K. Patel comes with worked solutions as well. Though visually, I perfer the Terry Lee book for its colourfulness. >>" and colour is a a good change from dull black and white text books

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)