Textbook (1 Viewer)

mazza_728

Manda xoxo
HSC
Hey we have conquering from around the 1970's which isnt very useful as new elements have probably been discovered! Anyway know wat is the best chemistry textbook around?? please im so sick of conquering

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
haha i have that version too

go pathways~ by thickett

Toodulu

werd!
HSC
chem context is good but you need to do more questions.
i quite like conquering chem... i've got the 2000 version
i also find reading those sample answers for extended responses quite helpful

kini mini

HSC
All the current editions of Pathways, Contexts and Conquering are pretty decent. I personally prefer the first two for their explanations and questions.

Chand

Reflect the lights
HSC
i thoughty surfing is just summaries..very general...for school we use pathways n contexts... i like contexts better though

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
surfing is good for understanding concept to prepare you for answering exam type questions ( by doing the surfing questions )

Darkiris

mooie!
Originally posted by kini mini
All the current editions of Pathways, Contexts and Conquering are pretty decent. I personally prefer the first two for their explanations and questions.
i have all 3 text books

my preference is context and conquering

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
We only have conquering chem (pov school, but at least it is the 2001 version) but in the way of study/revision guides I have Excel, a couple of Surfing books, Success One (great for practise questions), Chemistry Revision cards and today I bought this new book "Macquarie Revision Guide: HSC Chemistry" which I think is really quite good... it's based on the revised syllabus, has a good answer for each dot point and has a lot of practise questions in it.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
contexts is set out pretty well, conq is ok, i havent used any others

Akira_Tikira

What I found is that use your major textbooks for theory, but DON"T ATEMPT THE QUESTIONS......EVER
they are so out of date that I don't think one will ever come up in the exam....

Use Surfing and Sucess One and Trial Paper.....but the most important thing is to have understanding and integration of knowledge

Giant Lobster

HSC
Originally posted by Akira_Tikira
What I found is that use your major textbooks for theory, but DON"T ATEMPT THE QUESTIONS......EVER
they are so out of date that I don't think one will ever come up in the exam....

Use Surfing and Sucess One and Trial Paper.....but the most important thing is to have understanding and integration of knowledge
Are you sure the questions are obsolete?

kini mini

HSC
Originally posted by Akira_Tikira

I think you're exaggerating a little - some questions are out of date, some are not. There is more to doing textbook questions that preparing for exams - some are written specifically to reinforce your understanding of the material, so they may be primarily learning tools rather than assessment preparation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)