textbooks & course notes (1 Viewer)

aLeeOh!

about to explode
HSC
i know it may be a silly question, but to eliminate any little doubts and worries in my head, not all subjects require you to purchase textbooks right? ive checked up my subjects for autumn semester what textbooks i need, and all except one require none... that or they just havent put it up yet.(is that possible?)

the one that did mention anything at all said "course notes" and had no price. cant remember where i read it, but do we have to order them? buy them later on? or can we download them from home?
btw, its for CCS105

Last edited:

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
If it has no text for the subject they probably just haven't put it up yet (although that would be leaving it a bit late) so keep an eyes out.

One of my subject has course notes with no prices too, but Im assuming thats cos they're not yet in stock.

santaslayer

HSC
aLeeOh! said:
i know it may be a silly question, but to eliminate any little doubts and worries in my head, not all subjects require you to purchase textbooks right? ive checked up mu subjects for autumn semester what textbooks i need, and all expect one require none... that or they just havent put it up yet.(is that possible?)

the one that did mention anything at all said "course notes" and had no price. cant remember where i read it, but do we have to order them? buy them later on? or can we download them from home?
btw, its for CCS105
If your particular subject is only an elective than save the money if you possibly can. Friends of mine survived the Economics electives without the aid of the textbook...but then it requires you to attend most of your lectures...your choice...

Some courses will let u download the notes off webct...again, keep your eyes out...

MiuMiu

Somethin' special....
HSC
My boyf goes to Sydney and never buys textbooks....I don't know how you could get through a course without it?

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
Some lecturers tell people what textbooks they need in the first lecture. It'll also say it in the subject outline handed out at the first lecture. Unishop + IT are open later in the first two weeks of session (or maybe only the first week), so that people can purchase their books.

Sometimes Unishop hasn't ordered the textbooks in yet, and there's little in stock. If that's the case, and you want that book. Get it elsewhere. Try other university bookshops, we're not too far from the sandstone ones in Sydney, so it's not that big a hike. Unless you travel to Wollongong weekly and live elsewhere (like Wagga Wagga or something). Don't wait for the books to come in. They don't come in until about week eight.

Mark Darcy

HSC
Can you please tell me how you know what books to buy for your subjects? Is it on the UOw site?

Ninga

HSC
Its in SOLS, under textbook information, usually. Or you can look up your subjects on the UoW website or in the unishop website, and it tells u in there too. I think...

Mark Darcy

HSC
It says no textbook information is currently available.
Does that mean that I do not need to purchase any books, or they are simply not ready yet?

HSC
Mark Darcy said:
Does that mean that I do not need to purchase any books, or they are simply not ready yet?
Could mean either I guess, but it's far more likely to be the second. For some reason it seems to be a real challenge to give people some warning in advance of the texts required.

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Mark Darcy said:
it means you need to look in unishop website.

the text books are definately up by now

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
it means you need to look in unishop website.

the text books are definately up by now
If we charitably assume that anyone has bothered to post the information :) I've had sessions where no information has been available via sols or the unishop website at all for the duration of session, with the lecturer just telling us what to get in person instead.

I'd like to hope that's a rarity though, so yeah, good idea, checking the Unishop site is good advice :)

poloktim

\(^o^)/
HSC
I just wait for the subject outline. The lecturer normally explains the textbooks then anyway. I think Japanese is the only one I don't. But that's because we get textbooks explained at the end of the previous session in Japanese. :)

Raiks

Enigma Unlimited
HSC
You'll find out about what books you need during your first lecture.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)