Textbooks for UNSW Med (1 Viewer)

pravski

HSC
Which textbooks should I get for first year med, I don't want to wait until they tell me, because then the cheap ones are gone.

Thanks

doctordev

HSC
Yeah, i require assisstance in this department too. I got 6 books. Still need 2 more. I have yet to get my histology and embryology texts. would i need them in 1st sem or can i wait till winter break to get them?

spoon3er

HSC
N/A
Getting textbooks at this stage really isn't necessary... especially if you're thinking of buying them from somewhere other than the UNSW Medsoc Bookshop, which gives members a 20% discount on all texts. Wait till the faculty provides you with a list of what to get... you won't need most of what's recommended. (Trust me, I'm speaking from experience!!)

I remember getting about 9 texts in one go at the end of the 1st week, and some of them I still haven't touched! Seriously, I think the best way to go is to determine that you'll definitely be needing a book before getting it.

Exceptions do apply however - you'll most certainly need an anatomy book from the beginning of 1st yr. Apart from that, I've found the physiology, pathology and histology books to be very handy for assignments and exam preparation. And oh yes, the faculty will also want you to get a 'skills for communicating with patients' book - they're very particular about which texts are good, etc - but I confess I haven't even once looked at it... really not necessary till the end of 2nd yr when you start preparing for the end of phase clinical exam.

+:: $i[Q]u3 ::+

Jaded Member
HSC
Before I start, I'll just say here that textbooks are only useful if you actually plan on using them. Having said that, spoon3er is right and you'll find an anatomy, physiol, path and histo book especially useful. The ones on the official list are:

- Moore & Dalley: Clinically Oriented Anatomy
- Kumar, Cotran & Robbins: Robbins Basic Pathology
- Boron & Boulpaep: Medical Physiology
- Junqueira & Carneiro: Basic Histology

In addition to the Moore, you might find an anatomy atlas useful. Atlases don't have explanations, but they have awesome pictures.
- Netter: Atlas of Human Anatomy (pretty painted colour-coded pictures)
- Rohen, Yokochi & some guy starting with L: Color Atlas of Anatomy (PHOTOS... sexiest anatomy book of all time).

If you want to spend more, instead of the baby Robbins above, Robbins Pathological Basis of Disease might be a good investment.

Boron's physiol is a bitch to read. My advice: AVOID IT. I bought one and I'm only keeping it out of spite. Buy a Guyton instead. I've also heard good things about Sherwood, but can't say anything from personal experience.

Histology is useful, but not necessary. There are enough histo resources on the web.

---

At some point during first year, you'll also want

Larsen: Human Embryology
(oh God I hate I hate I hate embryol... This textbook is really hard and boring but I think it's because embryol is hard and boring... If anyone has any better suggestions I'm open here.)
---

If you did not do biology in high school, Campbell & Reece's Biology is a real lifesaver. Totally awesome explanations of genetics, cell cycle, and some basic biochem. But know that you're also paying for 600 pages of non-human biology, i.e. stuff like the mosquito life cycle.

---

Epstein et al: Clinical Examination.
I wish I had used this more. You'll want this.

---

Those are the only ones I'd really recommend you to pay money for. I've also got a microbiology, a pharmacology, a neuro and a biochem but you'll either find that 1) you dont need to use them very often, or 2) you need them more in 2nd year.

Hope that helps, and make sure you go to medcamp.

Jaded Member
HSC
One other thing,
I know it feels like getting the latest edition is really really important.
But sometimes it doesn't make a huge difference.
Obviously, try to avoid stuff from the 80s, but have a look at the publishing date. If the newest edition is published 2006 and the previous one is published 2000, then don't be afraid to opt for the slightly older one. (A good idea is to have a look at hte book and read the bit where it says "what's new in this edition"...)

doctordev

HSC
Oh well, should have read this before going on my buying spree. Now, i just need to get my embryology and histology texts to complete my set. thankfully, i bought guyton and not boulpaep.

Btw, I notice nobody mentions Gray's Anatomy as a preffered anatomy text. I have bought that. Hopefully, it wasn't a mistake.

Jaded Member
HSC
Gray's is an excessively detailed anatomy text and has been referred to as the "bible" of anatomy. For med students, it is not as useful as a Moore. The Moore has fugly pictures but it's got these dead useful tables of muscles and their attachments, vessels and the regions they supply etc. Moore + Atlas is the best combination. The other thing is, the entire Gray's is available online at: http://education.yahoo.com/reference/gray/

Having said that, Gray's is a beautiful book with some of the best pictures around, and I've always wanted one for the sake of having one. =)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yeah Gray's is a bit too detailed for when u start

i think its more a wait a lil while then get..

Moore's is generally the introductory text u want to use for medical school

for good gross details.. Rohen+Yokochi
then for further details.. Gray's or Netter's
(gray's online is not comprehensive lik the book tho)

There seems to be issues with UNSW not recommending a beginners guide to human anatomy and physiology for the basics.. but that was in my day.. I think as Sique said.. there is Campbell's biology..

borrow the books.. and try a topic u know about.. and see if its enough details

i think unless ure on a book scholarship... just buy whats needed cos u may not use it

pravski

HSC
I went to medsoc today and the guy informed me of a few changes

1. Gray's Student Version is going to be used instead of Moore's Anatomy in 2006
2. Levy's Physiology will be used instead of Boron and Guyton.

Also he says Epstein is a must, and apparently a "how to communicate with patients" is more popular than before....funny that with the whole interview and UMAT things.

A biology book is recommended, Campbell is good but so is the one called "life" forgot the authors name sorry.

pravski

HSC
Changes

I went to medsoc today and the guy informed me of a few changes

1. Gray's Student Version is going to be used instead of Moore's Anatomy in 2006
2. Levy's Physiology will be used instead of Boron and Guyton.

Also he says Epstein is a must, and apparently a "how to communicate with patients" is more popular than before....funny that with the whole interview and UMAT things.

A biology book is recommended, Campbell is good but so is the one called "life" forgot the authors name sorry.

Keen

MD
HSC
Re: Changes

I don't know how strict they are on the designated texts at UNSW but let me tell you a few things.
I used Gray's students extensively to do my revision for last years anatomy exams and I found the book quite rubishy in most aspects, except as a quick very brief refresher and preferred my summarised notes from Moore.

The new edition of Moore's came out last year/this year and looks pretty good, I'd recommend this even though it takes a bit of time to get a grasp of it (and my anatomy is sucky) it has nearly everything you need.

Physiology, went out and bought the new Guyton last year, rarely use it. If you want to learn physiology Sherwood is 100% the best place to go. Sometimes if you want some more detail on specific questions you have Guyton's great for a reference (but can be used to learn from - especially the newer edition - but isn't hte best choice I think).

Anyway good luck

Keen

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

funnybunny said:
if the uni prescribes gray's anatomy for students then don't u HAV to buy it? is it still ok to buy moore's / do they care?
No they dont care
just see which one lets u do best .. sadly its through trial and error..

see thing is.. me and Keen are at uni together..
i dont use sherwood.. i use guyton..

and yet we are both in 3rd yr.. .. find the best method for u.. :)

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC

i bring a pen.. and some paper.. ure notes.. and usually a cup of coffee.. some food is nice too if ure tutor lets u..

umm i wouldnt normally bring a textbook.. but mabbe its diff at UNSW

mervvyn

Marshm'ello
Somewhere over the rainbow... yes, that rainbow.
HSC

yeah - what dexter said pretty much covers it. scenario group sessions are the closest thing unsw has to regular tutorials and you almost never need your textbooks - they tell you if you do, and the library is very close to all the SG rooms. There are a few normal style tutorials every now and then, to focus on aspect of something eg liver pathology was one last year but you wouldn't bring anything special to them.
All in all, textbooks stay at home, where they are most useful :) (as bloody expensive paperweights) some lecturers or prac teachers will specify useful chapters to read from a given book, but you don't have to read it and you definitely don't have to have any book. just whatever you need to perform to an academic level of your satisfaction.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)