Textbooks for year 12 (1 Viewer)

Lilabear

HSC
Can anyone recommend one or two 'essential' textbooks that will help me during my hsc year?

Subjects include:
- Economics (school uses Tim Riley)
- Legal Studies (school uses Cambridge)
- English advanced + extension (not sure if there are suitable textbooks since school do different topics?)
- Modern history + extension

Also wondering about the study guides and checkpoint, are they useful to have? If so, please recommend some brands.

Thanks!

gallen88

HSC
Hi,
I'm commencing Year 12 next year and we just received our booklist. Considering you do different subjects to me (exception of Modern History and possibly Extension History - don't know if I'm good enough to do it) I have looked up the textbooks you have mentioned and discovered the ones my school recommends are different.

- Economics: Australia in the Global Economy by Tim Dixion and John O'Mahony (latest edition).
- English Advanced: It depends on the modules. My school focusing on Dystopia, the prescribed text is 1984 by George Orwell.
- English Extension: It depends on the module you are doing. Based off the booklist, I've figured our school is doing After The Bomb for Year 12 Extension English. The books for this module are: An Artist of the Floating World (Ishiguro, Kazuo) and Good Night and Good Luck (George Clooney).
- Modern History: Russia and the Soviet Union - Autocracy Dictatorship - Cantwell.

Hopefully this has helped a little bit.

All the best! :read: :spin:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
You shouldn't really be buying a textbook for English subjects..

gallen88

HSC
Sorry, I meant the options for English were just books my school adviced us to purchase. Not textbooks. : ) ^^ (Forgot to quote).

Last edited:

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
What do you mean? Like can you expand on that please?
Technically more like you shouldn't need a textbook for English, because in English you will get worksheets provided by the teacher and that will give you sufficient background to the text you are studying usually, you will find that in no textbook will the analysis be good enough to help you get a band 6, a lot of it comes from your own analysis and understanding and practising good essay writing, which basically involves many cycles of feedback and marking. English is one of those subjects where you will really need to exercise your thinking and analysing skills, rather than just buying a textbook, using points from it and hoping no one realised... and also in English you will need to find related text, which further means you need to read widely and the connections between your related and prescribed-you will often have to find it yourself (unless you want to use overused related text material).

Also there is almost no textbook you can buy for your standard/advance english subject that can cover precisely all the texts you are studying at school. They often only select one/two text-and there is no point wasting money buying a book if you can only use 1/4 of the information, it might be better to just borrow such textbooks when you need it rather than buy it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)