xeuyrawp

ive got the books for AHST205/6 already, but for:

AHST100:
Title: Egypt World Of The Pharaohs
Author: Schultz
Notes: Availability*: Available
Member Price: $45.45
Price: $49.95

Text, but I personally rarely used it. It's a great outline, but tbh, you won't be using it much for assignments.

Title: Burial Customs In Ancient Egypt: Life In Death For Poor And Rich
Author: Grajetzki
Member Price: $52.78
Price: $58.00

I haven't seen that... Don't buy it unless you know you'll use it.

Title: Egyptian Pottery
Author: Hope
Member Price: $18.19
Price: $19.99

Great book - I like the Uphill stuff. Ceramics is definitely the most difficult thing to get your head around. But, it's a pretty small book (I photocopied it...)

Title: Egyptian Textiles
Author: Hall

I wouldn't get it unless you know you'll need it. They didn't even really do textiles when I did 100... Ceramics book is much more expensive.

Title: Egyptian Shabtis
Author: Stewart

I wouldn't get it unless you know you'll need it. Shabtis are important, but I don't remember them being a massive theme (in the assignments, course, or exam).

Title: Egyptian Towns & Cities
Author: Uphill

I'd get it, personally. Settlement vs Burial archaeology is a big theme in 100. Alternatively, wait until you know you need it.

And for AHST103:

Title: Civil Wars
Author: Appian
Member Price: $20.88
Price: $22.95
I never really used it extensively - don't get it at first. If you know you want it, then get it. Otherwise, photocopy the ~30 pages relevant to you at the time.

Title: Roman Lives: A Selection Of Eight Lives
Author: Plutarch
Member Price: $19.06
Price: $20.95
I'd get that one - we used a big range from it.

Title: From The Gracchi To Nero
Author: Scullard
Member Price: $58.24
Price: $64.00
Great book, get it! :)

Ive got a $100 coop book voucher but i don't think it'll go very far...
See the red (all my opinion)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Thank you! that sorts things out a bit :) and asylum, i can live on 30c noodles if need be i guess...

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Thank you! that sorts things out a bit :) and asylum, i can live on 30c noodles if need be i guess...
Too expensive! My friends and I used to pitch in for a cup of chips for the 5 of us, then when we finished, go back and fill the cup up with chicken salt...that was our meal for the rest of the day!

*Baby-K*

HSC
Im going in tomorrow for academic advising and something else ... i tend to forget. I dont even know what subjects im taking , time tables or anything.. or what to bring or how to pay etc. The joy. All i know is i have to be there .... to do all those things which i have mentioned i have no clue about. Im guessing you have already attented you days ? Man im nervous.
Ok if you are so clueless I recommend that you sit down tonight and go through the handbook online Home - 2009 Course Handbook - Macquarie University
Look at units you would like to do and try your best at filling out the proposed program form (PPF)- seriously it will save you ALOT of time!!!

EDIT- I wrote this long long advice but for some reason it only posted the 1st part. Sorry

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Too expensive! My friends and I used to pitch in for a cup of chips for the 5 of us, then when we finished, go back and fill the cup up with chicken salt...that was our meal for the rest of the day!
oh god i hate chicken salt... what a wonderful life to look forwards to.

jake2.0

. . .
HSC
I can't find any books for ACST151 or MATH132?
for ACST151 the lecturer gets you to buy a textbook from a separate supplier which includes access to online quizzes on a site different to Blackboard.

For math132/133 you don't need a textbook as the lecture notes are excellent.

Also I assume you're doing stat171? Don't bother buying the textbook for that either, since the lecturers (Suzan Curtis) notes are excellent too.

Peartie

HSC
is this why they took the chicken salt away last semester (ie sem 1) and did it themselves!?!?! YOU BASTARD!!!!!!

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
My boyfriend was telling me that at UNSW, if you buy a book from their co-op bookstore and it turns out you don't need it, you can exchange it for like a credit voucher (of the same price as the book), which you can use on other books. Is this the same at Macquarie?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
My boyfriend was telling me that at UNSW, if you buy a book from their co-op bookstore and it turns out you don't need it, you can exchange it for like a credit voucher (of the same price as the book), which you can use on other books. Is this the same at Macquarie?
Should be, since Co-op bookstores share the same policy, ie, no refunds but they'll give you store credit instead.

HSC
hey! do we have to have all our textbooks by the 1st day of uni?? like the 'text' ones. surprisingly i have no recommended books just text ones..

Leggs

HSC
hey! do we have to have all our textbooks by the 1st day of uni?? like the 'text' ones. surprisingly i have no recommended books just text ones..
You don't have to have them by the first day
You don't really HAVE to have them at all

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
No, but by second week (when you usually start tutorials) you will have been expected to.

Leggs

HSC
No, but by second week (when you usually start tutorials) you will have been expected to.
It does really depend on the subjects and course though.
I bought a couple of texts I was supposed to have last year and ended up not needing them at all.
Some subjects you can easily get through without any text books.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
It does really depend on the subjects and course though.
I bought a couple of texts I was supposed to have last year and ended up not needing them at all.
Some subjects you can easily get through without any text books.
Whether you buy it or not, the tutor/lecturer will go on the expectation that you've bought it (unless there is a shortage or other uncontrollable issue).

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Decided to buy them all, got the ones i know i'll probably use online and the ones im not that sure about at coop, so i can exhange them for store credit if they turn out to be useless. Guess i wont be doing anything fun for a while, moneys are severly depleated :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)