Textbooks? (1 Viewer)

cheesegrater

Overlord of the universe
is it like school were there is a class set you can use or do you have to purchase one for i guess each subject? if so how much do they cost roughly (for a science degree) and does UTS have a second hand textbook shop, if so is this worth it or are they already highlihted thru ect. thx

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
from my understanding you have to buy them, not sure though..

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I wish we had class sets! lol. No you have to buy them. Textbooks can range between $50 - $200 new, depends on the type of book you buy. You will receive a 16% discount on most of your textbooks from the co-op bookshop. Most science textbooks will be around the $100 price range. Usually there is one textbook for each subject yes, but sometimes you will find you don't need the textbook to get through the subject. If you understand the subject material from the lecture notes and notes you have taken alone, then that is usually fine.

UTS does have a 2nd hand bookshop and its good. Most textbooks are in good condition (ie. not highlighted through). The textbooks will range in prices (so the highlighted through ones usually cost less!). Its best to go to the 2nd hand bookshop as soon as you know what books you need, as they will have limited books for each of your subjects (if any) and they will run out fast. I've bought books (and sold books) from there, and its good :).

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
roughly how much would a 2nd hand text book cost?

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I sold my IT textbooks for around $50-$60 each, but thats because they were in almost new condition :) (ie. I hardly used them!). You choose the price of the textbook but you are only allowed to sell it for a max of 2/3 of the price you bought it for. So my above textbooks were around $90-$100 each when I bought them new.

On that note, if you going to buy textbooks from there then the max price you should pay is 2/3 of that of a new one, but usually they are less. I bought my Accounting textbook for $40 (which is $120 new, lol) but it was 2 years old, but still in good condition.

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
cheesegrater-get them 2nd hand if at all possible, then sell them when you are done

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
but arent you meant to read certain parts of it before lecs/tutes etc? how would you get by with the net?

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
same as me ... (can you transfer into all courses after first semester or only those that start mid yr-i thought you had to do all of first yr)
so im going to buy the textbooks as cheaply as possible then sell them at the end (for the first year) and then once i get into my desired degree i will prob buy them new and keep them as reference material for once i finish

evilc

I am a fish
HSC
Originally posted by jayz
maybe i am a highly optimistic optimist, but isn't there a place called the library?
yes, but there are about 4 million other people who share your optimism

Nightshade

Pain in the ass
HSC
Guys, it really depends what course ur doin. Im doin the BscIT course, and realised its a waste of money to get the textbooks. But a major tip is befriend someone in second year, then buy ur textbooks off them...

Jayz, yeah the library does have copies of some textbooks, but there are limits as to how long u can use em for (der).

As for the two people that want to transfer after first semester, it really depends where you want to change to. I know that if you want to transfer into an IT course, they only look at it in the beginning of every year (so you can only change after second semester)... but check with the faculty that you want to go into for more details - and i guess buying textbooks could help, because when u transfer, they look at ur previous semesters work along with other stuff.

jayz

walking
To my 'dear' friend Nightshade

Originally posted by jayz
MAYBE I AM A HIGHLY OPTIMISTIC OPTIMIST, but isn't there a place called the library?
Originally posted by Nightshade
Jayz, yeah the library does have copies of some textbooks, but there are limits as to how long u can use em for (DER).
:p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
If we know which subjects we want to take in our first semester, can we find the text list now? I'm trying to get my books as soon as I get the offer on Monday to beat the rush.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Sometimes they change the textbook list, but don't worry. The co-op bookshop website will usually have a textlist up a few weeks before uni starts or so.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)