Textbooks (1 Viewer)

lh95

HSC
Hi all,
I'm starting B Business and B Laws this year and was wondering about the textbooks I'll need.
I've looked up my subjects on the Co-op Bookstore and they state a core textbook and several optional ones.
http://www.coop.com.au/bookshop/action/DataSubjSelect
One of my subjects 70102 - Foundations of Law has 7 optional textbooks that appear to be quite helpful to a first year.
All my business subjects only state one core textbook which I am fine with.
My question is it smart to buy the core textbooks before classes actually start? And if any of those optional textbooks are necessary or helpful?

TafeHereICome

HSC
Yea I was thinking exactly the same, should I buy my textbooks before the actually class and start reading them.

SHuynhVP

HSC
Hi there!

Currently third year B Business/B Laws and the VP of the UTS Business Society. If you haven't already, you should get onto registering for O'Camp! (http://utsbsoc.com/ocamp/#.Uu9GUbR9XUM)

To answer your question though, do get the Foundation of Law textbooks, the Accounting textbooks and BStats textbook. The others are kind of a bit iffy (I would recommend against getting the IBP textbook).

Hope that helps!

zhusalmz

HSC
Hi there!

Currently third year B Business/B Laws and the VP of the UTS Business Society. If you haven't already, you should get onto registering for O'Camp! (http://utsbsoc.com/ocamp/#.Uu9GUbR9XUM)

To answer your question though, do get the Foundation of Law textbooks, the Accounting textbooks and BStats textbook. The others are kind of a bit iffy (I would recommend against getting the IBP textbook).

Hope that helps!
Why do you advise against the IBP textbook and if so what would you recommend strictly for IBP (non law student)?

zhusalmz

HSC
i live in a forest so it may be relevant to my interests.

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Hi all,

One of my subjects 70102 - Foundations of Law has 7 optional textbooks that appear to be quite helpful to a first year.
I've got most of these already ;)

A quick tip - have a look at 2nd hand textbooks on studentvip, that is where I got a few texts for a quarter of the price. And look out for e-book versions if you have an ipad or other e-reading device.

SHuynhVP

HSC
Why do you advise against the IBP textbook and if so what would you recommend strictly for IBP (non law student)?
Trust me. I talk to a lot of first years and they always go against my word and buy the textbook. I'll be careful in what I say, but IBP is a subject that doesn't require a textbook whatsoever. It just requires hard work and a teamwork. You'll only need the Barron Law textbook.

Also, never get the optional textbooks for any subjects. The required textbook will always suffice. Don't bother wasting money on textbooks that aren't required (unless it is crim law and the Elements textbook).

Galapagos

HSC
N/A
Also, never get the optional textbooks for any subjects. The required textbook will always suffice. Don't bother wasting money on textbooks that aren't required (unless it is crim law and the Elements textbook).
Actually I recommend buying them if you can afford them. Provided you actually read them they WILL be of some use to you. Considering most people are like the person above, you will be at an advantage for reading them. Of course, they are optional for a reason - you don't need them to pass. But if you want a D or HD these books will significantly increase your chances as they provide more perspective on a given topic, especially in law where there is usually no definitive answer for many questions you may come across.

I foresee many people jumping on me to say they got a D/HD in subject x and only bought the required textbooks etc etc. That's great, but my argument FOR buying/reading these optional books is not that they are REQUIRED to get a high mark, but that they will increase you chances.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)