Textbooks (1 Viewer)

Cherrybomb56

HSC
Hello I was wondering is anyone selling textbooks for year 11 for the following subjects which are new syllabus:

1. english advanced
2. Math advanced/3u
3. Biology
4. chemistry
5. economics

or do they know any good website that sell these subject books? Also do you know which is the best book for each subject i.e math - Cambridge?

Also can anyone please provide any tips for year 11 and how to to manage stress, build useful timetables and how much hours to focus on each subject per day/week.

Any answers would be helpful. Thanks

大きい男

HSC
My school used maths in focus for 3u and I found it to be quite useful (mainly for explanations and examples, rather than lots of difficult questions), although for year 12 you should consider more rigorous textbooks such as new senior maths or Cambridge. They have far more challenging questions that are better for getting used to the types of questions in actual HSC exams.

Cherrybomb56

HSC
My school used maths in focus for 3u and I found it to be quite useful (mainly for explanations and examples, rather than lots of difficult questions), although for year 12 you should consider more rigorous textbooks such as new senior maths or Cambridge. They have far more challenging questions that are better for getting used to the types of questions in actual HSC exams.
okay thanks

vinlatte

HSC
Hello I was wondering is anyone selling textbooks for year 11 for the following subjects which are new syllabus:

1. english advanced
2. Math advanced/3u
3. Biology
4. chemistry
5. economics

or do they know any good website that sell these subject books? Also do you know which is the best book for each subject i.e math - Cambridge?

Also can anyone please provide any tips for year 11 and how to to manage stress, build useful timetables and how much hours to focus on each subject per day/week.

Any answers would be helpful. Thanks
For economics, I've been using the Tim Riley textbooks. I don't think the syllabus changed for eco since my teacher uses the 2014-15 and it still has relevant info. However, if you want to integrate real world events to connect with your knowledge, you need to be aware of current events. My teacher sends articles from twitter to a class group chat for extra reading. I downloaded a news app just to skim read, noting any economic concepts. It helps when justifying an arguement or providing an example as evidence.

Also, make sure you understand your economic concepts and are able to define them concisely. This helps with short answer questions that require economic metalanguage.

For Maths, I've been trying to adopt more regular study habits since ext classes have more homework. I would suggest to write notes containing key ideas and concepts with a coloured pen, it helps when skim reading to find important formulas and info. If you don't have time in class, write as much necessary info in class using a regular pen / pencil. When you revise at home, you can rewrite your notes by summarising key words and writing formulas and other important notes in coloured pen or highlighter.

When proofing equations, write out each step and explain why the change has occurred, such as (+2) for each side of the equation or underlining (sin^2x+cos^2x) and write (= 1). Little notes like that help you understand each step rather than looking at a list of equations.

If you get tired of studying, take a break because burnout will happen. At least revise a few days a week, and have a proper study session once a week. It depend on your timetable and commitments, but definitely use your free periods to study. It does make it easier to study in school than at home.

The overall advice I would give is to actually try your best in prelims. Many people tend slack off since the grades and assignments for prelims will be wiped clean for HSC, essentially prelim results doesn't directly impact HSC results. But prelims are important to understand the subject and its content. Plus, if you did genuine attempt in prelims, you will know how well you would do in the HSC and realise what subjects and study did or didn't work.

For me, my business studies exam wasn't great and I understood the subject enough that I didn't want to continue to content, so I dropped it. With MX1, my exam results were decreasing over the terms due to cramming my studies til a few days before the exams, so for the HSC year I would change my study habits.

The prelims is a great year of figuring out the best version of you as a student; your subject strengths and weaknesses, your study habits and your results. It's essentially a 7-day free trial form of the HSC. And with stress, definitely don't procrastinate, it is extremely helpful for your future self to start anything now and work on it continuously. You are amazing, you got this!

Last edited:

Cherrybomb56

HSC
For economics, I've been using the Tim Riley textbooks. I don't think the syllabus changed for eco since my teacher uses the 2014-15 and it still has relevant info. However, if you want to integrate real world events to connect with your knowledge, you need to be aware of current events. My teacher sends articles from twitter to a class group chat for extra reading. I downloaded a news app just to skim read, noting any economic concepts. It helps when justifying an arguement or providing an example as evidence.

Also, make sure you understand your economic concepts and are able to define them concisely. This helps with short answer questions that require economic metalanguage.

For Maths, I've been trying to adopt more regular study habits since ext classes have more homework. I would suggest to write notes containing key ideas and concepts with a coloured pen, it helps when skim reading to find important formulas and info. If you don't have time in class, write as much necessary info in class using a regular pen / pencil. When you revise at home, you can rewrite your notes by summarising key words and writing formulas and other important notes in coloured pen or highlighter.

When proofing equations, write out each step and explain why the change has occurred, such as (+2) for each side of the equation or underlining (sin^2x+cos^2x) and write (= 1). Little notes like that help you understand each step rather than looking at a list of equations.

If you get tired of studying, take a break because burnout will happen. At least revise a few days a week, and have a proper study session once a week. It depend on your timetable and commitments, but definitely use your free periods to study. It does make it easier to study in school than at home.

The overall advice I would give is to actually try your best in prelims. Many people tend slack off since the grades and assignments for prelims will be wiped clean for HSC, essentially prelim results doesn't directly impact HSC results. But prelims are important to understand the subject and its content. Plus, if you did genuine attempt in prelims, you will know how well you would do in the HSC and realise what subjects and study did or didn't work.

For me, my business studies exam wasn't great and I understood the subject enough that I didn't want to continue to content, so I dropped it. With MX1, my exam results were decreasing over the terms due to cramming my studies til a few days before the exams, so for the HSC year I would change my study habits.

The prelims is a great year of figuring out the best version of you as a student; your subject strengths and weaknesses, your study habits and your results. It's essentially a 7-day free trial form of the HSC. And with stress, definitely don't procrastinate, it is extremely helpful for your future self to start anything now and work on it continuously. You are amazing, you got this!
thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)