Textiles MTP price (1 Viewer)

ruby.d

HSC
hi to whoever reads this!

to people who have completed or are doing their major textiles project, around how much did you spend on it?

my textiles teacher said she spent thousands on hers, but that sounds kinda crazy, is it?

Drdusk

HSC
Uni Grad
my textiles teacher said she spent thousands on hers, but that sounds kinda crazy, is it?
I’m no expert in this subject because I didn’t do it but please don’t spend thousands on a Hsc project.. You can get the same marks by spending much much less. I’m sure you knew that already though..

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
I've definitely heard of expensive wood work major projects (admittedly, in the hundreds rather than "thousands" though). I didn't study textiles or DT, so can't give any further info on costing. If you can, it'd be worth reaching out to graduates from your school that performed well to get their opinion.

The majority of people on this forum are studying maths, science and/or humanities subjects rather than creative or TAS subjects so would probably balk at those prices like Drdusk has, but I think a case could definitely be made for it.

If you intend to enter the industry or apply to some kind of course then the HSC major project could be a valuable part of your portfolio. For some people, that portfolio might be just as important as (or more than) their HSC/ATAR, at which point an expensive major project is really no different to getting tutoring across year 11/12.

vinlatte

HSC
hi to whoever reads this!

to people who have completed or are doing their major textiles project, around how much did you spend on it?

You can lower costs by upcycling materials and clothing. Look into local op / thrift shops, there are rolls of fabrics at cheaper prices than at spotlight. Even cheap bedsheets work well for testing drafted garments. Somewhere in near Cabramatta (I forgot where lol), there's an Anglicare that has second-hand clothing sold by weight. It'll be cheaper per clothing item if you're planning on making a collection. There is also a place called Reverse Garbage in Marrickville, where they have factory offcuts of fabrics and sell unique notions.

At my school, majority of the projects had cheaper upcycled materials and still had band 6s and 5s.

If Textiles is similar to Design Tech, then considering costs and design factors of sustainability would be interesting for your project. Plus you can even find more inspo from finding new materials.

What are you planning to make for your mtp?

tofusenpai

HSC
You can get cheap fabric at E&M Greenfields at Surry, recommended to us by our textiles teacher who studied at Whitehouse. A lot of students from there went to buy from that place too as they offer wholesale. Also check out Asian fabric retailers like My Hyung in Hurstville, Thinh Phat in Campsie and Cabra which has a lot

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)