Texts about Conformity (1 Viewer)

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
I have to write an essay on conformity, I have been working on the text Dead Poets Society in class and am wondering what are some other texts that deal with conformity..

Miss Code

HSC
I have to write an essay on conformity, I have been working on the text Dead Poets Society in class and am wondering what are some other texts that deal with conformity..

The book "nineteen minutes" by jodi picout deals with conformity and what it does to people who don't fit into the way that society thinks of others, and what people will do to fit into the "in" thing!

Good luck :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Conformity is just another name for belonging...

So, just do a random movie like "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" or the "The Shawshank Redemption".

Last edited:

aLexTasyy

HSC
The Chocolate War-Robert Cormier

You'd probably have some luck going through the reccommended texts for belonging, a lot of the belonging texts ive read have a shitload to do with comformity. but i can't remember the names of them...hope that helps.

AssesmentTask

Premium Member
HSC
I'm also trying to find a thesis on conformity like;

"Conformity allows communities and societies to run smoothly, but it is not always advantageous to individuality."

but not quite.

sunshinegirl

HSC
hi everyone this is my first ever post! :D

about conformity, i don't know if this would work for your unit but when we were doing To Kill a Mockingbird our teacher talked alot about conformity and how Scout sees conformity in the community of Maycomb. We talked heaps about peer pressure and how what people as a group choose to do influences the decisions of individuals.

Conformity is about trying to fit in with the mold.... sometimes it is better to stand out, although it can be really hard. Have you studued TKaM and does it relate to what youre doing now??

By the way we are starting that unit later on this term, or maybe next? and we are doing it as a film study on Whale Rider. Apparently it shows the break from conformity in a patriarchal society?

I also like your thesis question, its broad enough without being overwhelming and lets you talk about a lot of stuff!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)