Texts and ways of thinking; individual...confused (1 Viewer)

laracroft

i doo this all the bloody time, i confuse myself.
so neways i was wondering if ppl could just help me clear up something.
im confused on what the 'ways of thinking are' ...that probably sounds really stupid, but the confusion is, we wrote down this list in extension about all the different 'concepts, themes and issues' from the texts we have studied....all the ususal stuff like : social status, power of me over woemn, gender roles, supression of individuality, blah blah....
but i don't get whats the difference between those and 'waysof thinking' and the paradigms.
for eg, in economic paradigms theres the notion that economics or money of any form was purely the male domain....so is that a way of thiking, or a paradigm
im probably confusing you right now....see i confuse myself so easily
soi dunnno if people could gimme like 1 or 2 examples of 'ways of thinking so that i have an idea of wat im looking for...
thanks a bunch:)

HSC
N/A
in my mind "ways of thinking" are the readings: feminist, marxist, post-colonial etc.

From the long paradigm thread, I've surmised that the paradigms are sort of sub-topics under which the different ways of thinking file themselves - eg economic/political paradigms house marxist, etc.

And as for context, culture, values etc - these can be interpreted differently depending on which way you look at them/think about them --> ways of thinking :D

Whoop whoop I'm good today... :D

frazzle

HSC
the paradigms ARE the ways of thinking. lookign at these texts from a 21st century perspective, we have to study what the dominant ways of thinking were in the 19th cen, and how the individuals differed from that [ok, maybe i'm talking about a different electiev to you... individual in society]

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
frazzle said:
the paradigms ARE the ways of thinking. lookign at these texts from a 21st century perspective, we have to study what the dominant ways of thinking were in the 19th cen, and how the individuals differed from that [ok, maybe i'm talking about a different electiev to you... individual in society]
I always thought that as well. Lara, I'm pretty sure the "ways of thinking" are paradigms. So if you're doing the essay, for eg. you'd talk about each of your texts highlight, reflect, criticise (etc) these paradigms (or ways of thinking) in the texts.
and like the "creative" question we got in our trials we had to talk about paradigms, which i'm about 90% sure they are the "ways of thinking". :)

laracroft

ok cool, thanks i think i get it now...i was gettin worried there for a moment with the 'readings' stuff, wtf is post colonial, are we meant to know that, coz i've never heard of that b4, or that we need to have readings....i'm pretty sure we don't
newyas thanks,
n happy studying:p

grk_styl

is hating uni & study
on the dance floor with a bottle of tequila
HSC
i don't think we need to have readings....if we did need readings we would've done them in class. since we didn't, i honestly don't think we need them. what could we possibly apply them to?? lol

no worries. good luck :)

HSC
N/A
I don't think we need readings either... only for Critical Study of Texts in the Advanced English Exam, which we all did earlier this week (seems like a millenia ago!!!)

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
glitterfairy said:
in my mind "ways of thinking" are the readings: feminist, marxist, post-colonial etc.

From the long paradigm thread, I've surmised that the paradigms are sort of sub-topics under which the different ways of thinking file themselves - eg economic/political paradigms house marxist, etc.

And as for context, culture, values etc - these can be interpreted differently depending on which way you look at them/think about them --> ways of thinking :D

Whoop whoop I'm good today... :D
I dont think literary methodologies constitute as "ways of thinking" but I think that's been cleard up in this thread anyway...

KarmaKitten

HSC
*sighs*
Oh how I love ext 1, I am going to miss it.

Whenever I want to link a point back to ways and thinking, I just say eg "through this...the author challenges traditional ways of thinking on (insert)"

laracroft

glitterfairy said:

I don't think we need readings either... only for Critical Study of Texts in the Advanced English Exam, which we all did earlier this week (seems like a millenia ago!!!)
if u didnt think we needed readings then whyd u mention the readings of feminist blah blah

neways thanks guys for clearing that up, n good luck for friday :D

HSC
N/A
I mentioned them because I'm a loser.

The words "ways of thinking", which also appear in the End Adv course aren't actually explored in my EE1 module, hence the reason why I said "I don't think we really need them".

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll just go off and fail my EE1 HSC exam now.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)