texts for imaginative journey? (1 Viewer)

l.i.z.i`

HSC
hi to u guys that just did ur hsc
hope u did awesomely =]
but while the idea is still fresh in ur heads
would u mind recommending me some self selected texts for imaginitive journey?
we've just started year 12 english and we're doing tempest which i don't really understand ><"
thanks lots =]

MHartley

HSC
i am also just starting my year 12 english course and doing the tempest. For my texts i am doing donnie darko and the old man and the sea, but i would not suggest the oldman and the seas because i am battling a bit with it.

luridlysteph14

HSC
EDIT: Advanced English, sorry.

My set text is: Coleridge :
- Frost at Midnight
- Kubla Kahn - a Fragment
- Rime of the Ancient Mariner
- This Lime Tree Bower, My Prison.

And because English should be fun, my related textx are :

- The Chronicles of Narnia : The Magician's Nephew, The Lion the Witch & the Wardrobe, The Voyage of Dawn Treader (and I think Prince Caspian is also applicable).
- Donnie Darko
- Vincent, Tim Burton (5 minute animation film)
- The Simpsons.

I'll add that the Simpsons was my intended text, being the episode where Lisa and Homer are at the hippie' place & Homer's "casket" gets hijack and endures various punishments, including a proper buriel by Flanders. It's a golden episode in which Lisa reaches a sort of enlightenment.

MHartley, I'd be interested in your ideas for DD. I definitely reccommend watching Jake & the Director's commentary. Extremely illuminating. PM me, if you're stuck.

Last edited:

spikebuzzard

HSC
I'm also doing The tempest. I've chosen a film called 'Dead Man' by Jim Jarmusch which is awesome. And a novel called 'Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas: A Savage Journey to The American Heart' by Hunter S. Thompson

Ceres.beauty010

HSC
For my related texts I chose the movie "The Labyrinth" with David Bowie and I found it had some really good stuff and was easy to relate to "The Tempest". I also did the book "The Horse witch" by Sheila Fulton which I wouldn't reccommend...way to much and too hard to analyse properly.

starrysky

HSC
A good idea is to use artworks, particularly for imaginative journeys.

Some texts, though ...

- The Arrival by Shaun Tan
- 1408, the movie (you can find it online somewhere)
- The Red Tree by Shaun Tan

sammi260

President of the World
HSC
yay i used a short story called The Lemming Factor by Isobelle Carmody and you can find it in the book Green Monkey Dreams. SO good. it could be used for almost ANY question thrown at you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)