Texts unknown to markers? (1 Viewer)

the_thomasu

HSC
What does everyone think about using a related text which the HSC markers could potentially be unfamilar with???

Any professional advice in this regard?
I will check back here after dinner, it twas just served up :D

khoshgelleh

i think using unfamilair texts is the best way to go for a number of reasons:
1) they have nothing to compare you to
2) you could say as much as you want even if its exaggerated ( so as to suit the question ) and they wont even no.

So i rekon go for it ...
im using i picture book that i doubt the markers will know off as a related

hipPo3

HSC
u realise that each marker is different .. and u dont know which one will mark ur test

if u want to pick say an imaginative text that noones heard about, try video games .. but that just give excuse to play

my 2cents :p

the_thomasu

HSC
well I think its a bit late now to be going off looking for new related texts, with only two days remaining until exam time.

basically I'm just going through the texts I've studied, working out how much should I focus on studying over which texts. If all else fails in the exam room, I can just use Lennon's Imagine. Our teacher practically spoon fed us that in quite alot of detail, and he himself is a marker. I've read threads where people have said that by using some generic related text you appear unoriginal, unless you show some uncommon/different understanding of it besides "yay, look I know about ellipses, first person and repition of 'IMAGINE' omfg omfg omfg <3 <3"

so generally accepted thing is to go with 2 related texts? even though it will probably say 'atleast ONE'

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
i just got off the phone to an english teacher on the HSC helpline who was so awesome. Helped me soooo much- one of the questions i asked her was if i should prepare two Supp texts or just one. She told me it was alright to use two, unless the question specifies to use more than one- then just one will be fine as well. I asked because one of my Supp texts is a painting and unless you're brilliant (which im not), you can draw so many journey links from it by simply looking at composition and style of it and get really good marks. And normally, the links are all assumptions and in my opinion, it doesnt sound right. So if you do just do ONE when it says "at least one" in the question, you wont get marked down for doing that (unless all the texts are not of a different medium/mode of production).

She also said that if you pick a text that the markers will not be familiar with, normally- you have to give one or two lines describing the plot, etc so that the marker has a slight idea of what its about. And if you can pull it off by making some really great links to the concept of journey and answer the question in depth, than by all means do it. Im doing Donnie Darko, and most people i know have no idea what is about so i assumed no1 knew. But the teachers/hsc markers ive talked to have, so you never know who knows what.

If you're still confused, call the helpline- totally recommended because the last few times ive called, i always get the awesome teachers. Just, dnt call at the last min tommorow because- im sure the lines will be clogged.

Last edited:

the_thomasu

HSC
thanks alot kimi

by your words it sounds like you asked them my question almost, so I dont think I will clog the lines to get an answer I already know.

unless whoever marks my paper is a psychedelic goa trance raver / NSW English teacher... pretty sure they wont know my text. One thing that I even considered earlier in the year, but eventually gave up was doing a psychedelic track which didn't even have lyrics.. the musical sounds on their own created an awesome imaginative journey. It had someguy screaming in fear at something, so that was about all you could personify with. Sadly I haven't enough time to study it, let alone think about how'd I'd introduce it to a marker. "like... uuhh, well, its a really sweet song right and like, uuuh to give you an idea it goes a little like, excuse me (clears throat) 'mmmmmmm mmmmm naarr mmmmm', ....

gosh, can't wait until exams are over, late nights without the guilt!

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
lol. i cant stand english. load of bullshit, like what is the purpose of journeys anyway?

Only 19days to go till end of my hsc exams :D/

the_thomasu

HSC
I like English, but I must use my power to take imaginative journeys to free myself from the physical constraints put upon me in the forms of what I want to study, how I want to study it and relative to whatever else I want to study it in conjunction with.

Although I don't mind the fact that the exam is based around a rubic, no thinking outside of the square makes it easy gather all your eggs in one basket and disseminate them amoung your knowledge evenly :D

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
lol. Welll, at least you enjoy it, then you will do well. Ive gotten sick of english cos i do ext1 as well, so thats like, about 7essays to write and more than 6texts (not including Supps) to study. Lifes a bitch. And only 19days till i stop whinging.

the_thomasu

HSC
yeah, well for the most part of the last two years I've been thinking 'darn, wish I chose ext1 or ext2 even', but now its exam time I think I might be going mildly insane with having to organise some much predigested information for an exam.

I've overcome my regrets and look forward to reading many books, watching many films and enjoying many musics, poems, plays, and other related texts of my choosing.

7th Sign

HSC
I am using a un known text for AOS essay just because my school is using "Looking for Alibrandi" and my tutor said don't use that as her and the marker friends have said it isnt desired material. I am using a movie from the usa that depicts inner journeys very well.

courtnez

Now, what I want is Facts
HSC
If the text is likely to be unknown by your markers, give (as someone said before) a quickly one-line summary of the piece, or at least establish what text type it is. E.g. Jim Crace's novel "Being Dead" or Luke Eve's short film "Australian Summer" - so they can at least understand what kind of techniques to look out for when you talk about it. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)