that acid 1 acid 2 question (1 Viewer)

abdul92

HSC
What did evry1 get for the question about acid 1 and acid 2 where u had to explain differences in strength nd concentrationn???

fuller45

HSC
I think i had acid 1 was the strongest but also the most dilute. whatever one reached end point first i said that.

sam5

HSC
What exactly were the parts for this?

I think i put that both acids are strong (acid 1 stronger than acid 2) but that acid 2 was less concentration than acid 1. Im not sure if im right with this. I put acid 2 as strong, cos i didnt think that a weak acid would have a pH of 2.

There was another part about writing an equation (i forget the question).

Another part about phenolphthalein use, and i said it was cos both titrations rose in pH, and increasing bacicity was detected by pH 10 (when phenol changes pink).

megaman

HSC
From memory I said that acid one was stronger however there was a higher concentration of acid two. Backed this up my referencing to the graph. For the example about a salt produced for the second part do you think CH3COOK would work?

kanux

HSC
i forgot which acid was which

but the one with the lower pH was the concentrated but weak acid
the other acid which had a higher pH was more dilute but a stronger acid.

anyways i dunno.

Last edited:

sam5

HSC
From memory I said that acid one was stronger however there was a higher concentration of acid two. Backed this up my referencing to the graph. For the example about a salt produced for the second part do you think CH3COOK would work?
what was the question specifically?

vpperson

HSC
I said acid one was weaker, because it required a smaller amount of KOH to neutralise it. But acid one was more concentrated, because its starting pH was lower than acid 2.

That's what I thought anyway.

ashllis92

HSC
Yeah I put the salt as CH3COOK, The first acid was stronger as it had a steeper titration curve, the second was weaker as it had a shallower titration curve. The first was more dilute because it took less to neutralise than the second because it was further left.

megaman

HSC
Yeah I put the salt as CH3COOK, The first acid was stronger as it had a steeper titration curve, the second was weaker as it had a shallower titration curve. The first was more dilute because it took less to neutralise than the second because it was further left.
+1 but I said instead that there was a high concentration of acid two because it had a low pH and I didnt want to assume that acid one was dilute because it had a pH of 1. Im fairly sure what you said is right I was just being cautious.

sam5

HSC
what was the specific question?

was it something like "write a reaction with an acid similar to acid 1 and NaOH"

I wrote NaOH + HCl --> H2O + NaCl

I dont know if its right.....

ashllis92

HSC
I think it was write the salt formed when KOH reacts with an acid like acid 2...
I wrote CH3COOK

mR sinister

HSC
yes that question was relatively easy.
My salt formed was KCl

Hcl + KOH ------> KCL + H20

ashllis92

HSC
Something to the effect of it changes colour at pH 8-10 which was at the equivalence point of both curves .: it could accurately identify the end points

ashllis92

HSC
yes that question was relatively easy.
My salt formed was KCl

Hcl + KOH ------> KCL + H20
Hate to burst your bubble but acid 2 was a weak, concentrated acid, like ethanoic... HCl was more likely to be acid 1, a lot stronger

mR sinister

HSC
Lol, to be honest, i forgot if it asked about acid 1 or 2,
but i definately done KCL as the salt.

and i wrote phenolthalien indicator to be between 7.5-9 is that still correct?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)