• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

That 'I give up' moment (1 Viewer)

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Well, my year was the second year where continuous assessment was necessary for the final HSC mark. All work done over the two final years of school was assessed continously and then tested in the HSC (not like now where you have Prelim year and that is largely put aside and new HSC work is covered and tested - or builds on the Prelim).

I argued (at the time) that it would certainly spread the stress over two entire years and I was right. Even universities have bought into the assessment thing.

Tests certainly do have their weaknesses (let's just look at the OC and Selective Schools exams as a case in point and the NAPLAN) because they depend on one day's performance and one small subset of information being tested. Sometimes it can be luck as to whether you reviewed or covered that more recently. So, really it is only a crude snapshot of one day's performance.

Compared with 20 years ago, though, it seems that schools have taken assessments to a whoole new level of ridiculousness and stress. Dates must be published, doctor's certificates must be given if you miss, they get you to sign notifications and so on. It's all very stress inducing. And then if you do miss it, they use other stuff to give a fair indication of how you would have gone.

But then again, assessments allow those who don't test well (and, let's face it, not every does and especially a lot of gifted people who seem not to make it into OC and Selective Schools as a result) to show that they can perform and sometimes outperform the Outcomes.

I think it comes down to just treating tests/exams/assessments as just another logical part of learning and doing continuous study and learning at a steady pace and not stressing or freaking out if you do badly. Don't focus on the result, enjoy the ride.

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
i HATE having to study all year long

if i could just do it for 2 months leading up to my final HSC exam

BE MUCH HAPPIER!!!!!

+ it would mean i only have to understand English ONCE..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
i HATE having to study all year long

if i could just do it for 2 months leading up to my final HSC exam

BE MUCH HAPPIER!!!!!

+ it would mean i only have to understand English ONCE..
My brain would explode with all the content i'd have to learn in 2 months =="

GUSSSSSSSSSSSSS

HSC
My brain would explode with all the content i'd have to learn in 2 months =="
haha well its not like u wouldnt be working throughout the year
u do like homework and stuff

you just dont have to study for assessments etc

+dont waste time with exams..

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
haha well its not like u wouldnt be working throughout the year
u do like homework and stuff

you just dont have to study for assessments etc

+dont waste time with exams..
But i'd procrastinate until i reach the 2 months before the major exam oO

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Question:
Do you think if such a system was implemented (where there were no yearly assessments, just one exam at the end worth 100%) the quality of students marks in general would go up, down or stay the same?

PrettyVacant

HSC
Question:
Do you think if such a system was implemented (where there were no yearly assessments, just one exam at the end worth 100%) the quality of students marks in general would go up, down or stay the same?
Lol I wish this happened to me. I only did well because I aced the externals. I cram well.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Question:
Well it depends on the type of student.

For the higher-end students, it would be better, because they'd have sufficient knowledge and would rip the tests.

For lower-end students, they're no longer able to rely on doing well in a take home assessment, hence their marks would be lower.

meilz92

where are my hair
HSC
Uni Grad
yes i am having that "i give up" moment right now with extension maths

the half yearly is 2moro morning

and all ive done study-wise so far

is a few past questions involving further inequalities, circle geometry, and all those trig results (sums and differences, double angles etc)

if u can even CALL that study...

so yeah im screwed.
absolutely, utterly screwed..

I GIVE UP!!!!

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
Question:
Knowing if this was the situation, I believe I would go better because I tend to cram information very well and I would be very prepared for them I guess.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)