The 2004 HSC - Textiles & Design Paper (1 Viewer)

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
how does everyone think they went?

i thought the exam was easier then past years
but i got a bit stumped on some of the multiple choice
the one about all the different types of knits
i just guessed it i had no idea

i was happy with the questiong at the end
i could write heaps on them
i did q 14 what did everyone else do?

HSC
N/A
Design baby, design! 10 PAGES!!! WHOOP WHOOP!

I seem to have gone through the first two parts VERY quickly. I stuffed up the knitting one too, thought it was single jersey. Oh well.

I also screwed up the dye question - I talked about the stages of dying rather than what they were looking for. Oh well. I mentioned agitation...

The exam was both easier and harder. I thought it was a lot more specific - I was expecting a lot more generic questions, particularly for Question 14 and the culture one - some bits were easier than others. Not much on innovations though, which was good considering I suck at innovations... also, the ATCFAI? part wasn't too bad either.

lil_lainy

HSC
at our school, we all thought the questions were kinda poo..like the way the were phrased :( i dunno..how was the parachute question!!!

i actually thought th multiple choice was prety easy compared to past yrs, except there was sum dodge ones at the end

i did 14. design..wasnt too bad..i only rote like 4.5 pages tho cause had already dun maths exam and by that stage was really hot and tired and ova it...ahh well, glad its only worth 25%, hope it dusnt bring my prac mark down too much...sad we nv get to find out what we got for prac, and what we got for the exam

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
i don't think i answered the culture questiong properly
i answered the dying one though
but there were people in my class who didn't
so u won't be the only one.

what was the answer to that knit question?
i had no idea i just guessed and moved on.

i liked question 14 i knew what they wanted
and i knew bicomponant yarns so i was stoked with that question

i found the fabric decoration question difficult
on the wollen jersey thing
i ended writing embroidery coz it was wool
and printing would go funny on the 'extruding fibres'

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
isn't it worth 50% written exam?
i liked the parachute question
and we thought it was phrased really good

libgem

luckily i asked my teacher this morning what a washable web was! and quickly looked over warp knitting!

but i had no idea about bicomponent yarns or the parachute thing!!! totally stuffed up P&P!!!
what did they mean by principles of dyeing?? i just wrote out the process!

^EzA^

hey! did anyone do the p and p question 15? i didnt mind it... lol i thought the multiple choice sucked! and yeah, so did that parachute one. overall i thought the paper was harder than previous years... btw, i wrote jersey for that multiple choice question too lol i think i did the dyeing one wrong as well :( what were we meant to say?! i wrote about the steps i think... dissolving the dye, wetting out the fabric and immersing the fabric int he dye liquor. can someone tell me if that was right or wrong?! thanks :)

HSC
N/A
Hey! I loved the parachute one!!! :D:D:D That being said I may have got it complrtely wrong, but it reminded me muchly of SD - Firbe, Yarn and Fabric justification.

I think I screwed up biocomponent yarns too... "um, biocomponent yarns combine elements of both fibres..."

The answer to the warp-knitting question was Tricot

As for dyeing... stuff like chemistry blah blah blah... P & P is so not my forte.

But who cares? ITS OVER!!! YAY!

Btw McLake, we could post the multiple choice, but we have a big part 2 where it's a question answer sheet thing (questions printed on same page answers written on )so unfortunately cannot post it up for rep. But will accept rep anyway :D

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
^EzA^ said:
lol i think i did the dyeing one wrong as well :( what were we meant to say?! i wrote about the steps i think... dissolving the dye, wetting out the fabric and immersing the fabric int he dye liquor. can someone tell me if that was right or wrong?! thanks :)
yeah thats right
at least thats what we were told were the principles of dying

i also likes the parachute one
we had something similar in our half yearly
so i was kinda prepared for it.

Samantharose

HSC
wat did u all get???

hey i was just wondering if everyone cld write wat they got for the multiple choice, i though the exam was really goodd......... anyway i think this is wat i got...
1- B
2- A
3- C
4- B
5- A
6- D
7- A
8-D
9 - C??
10- B
;)

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
if someone writes the questions up i can tell u
i know i had
B
A
D
D

aud

HSC
McLake said:
Post it here for rep ...
Don't have a scanner, so I'll just type it... you can thank me with reps :D

Section I (10 Marks)
1. Which of the following is an example of the design principle of informal balance? (ans=B, they were pictures)
2. Which of the following are all external factors that determine the success or failure of designers?
a) Economic, social and political (ans)
b) Economic, social and financial
c) Economic, facilities and financial
d) Technological, ecological and expertise
3. Why have many Australian clothing companies chosen to manufacture garments offshore?
a) To reduce pollution
b) To meet changing consumer demands
c) To access cheaper manufacturing costs (ans)
d) To conform to legal requirements of the industry
4. What disadvantage can innovation bring for a textile manufacturer?
a) Increased sales
b) Increased capital outlay (ans)
c) Reduced labour costs
d) Reduced overheads
5. Which of the following fibres is the most difficult to dye?
a) Cotton
b) Nylon (poss ans)
c) Polyester (poss ans)
d) Viscose rayon
6. Which of the following are all examples of washable webs?
a) Fusible webbing, denim and polyester wadding
b) Denim, fusible webbing, non-woven interfacing
c) Polyester wadding, wool felt and non-woven interfacing
d) Non-woven interfacing, fusible webbing and polyester wadding (ans)
7. Printing of textiles differs from the dyeing of textiles. Which of the following applies to printing?
a) A thicker paste is used, a chemical reaction is not required and the fabric is not fully immersed (ans)
b) A thinner paste is used, a chemical reaction is not required and the fabric is not fully immersed
c) A thicker paste is used, a chemical reaction is required and the fabric is fully immersed
d) A thinner paste is used, a chemical reaction is required and the fabric is fully immersed
8. Which of the following fabrics would be produced using warp-knitting with multifilament yarns?
a) Double knit
b) Interlock
c) Single knit jersey
d) Tricot (ans)
9. Which of the following yarn and fabric structures would best maximise the heat retention of a microfibre blanket?
a) A core spun yarn in a plain weave
b) A textured, monofilament yarn in a warp knit (ans)
c) A low twist level, staple spun yarn in a pile weave
d) A high twist level, multifilament yarn in a weft knit
10. Over recent years, many textiles manufacturers have become more environmentally aware. What is one consequence of this increasing awareness?
a) Textiles manufacturers can be accredited with an environmental certification that entitles them to government protection
b) Textile waste and used clothing are being recycled into innovative and improved products (ans)
c) Textile manufacturers are able to receive government subsidies because they produce environmentally friendly products
d) The textile industry is being restructured and this has led to an increase in the skill level of workers

Section II (25 Marks)
Question 11 - Australian Textiles, Clothing, Footwear and Allied Industries
a. A current issue that affects the textile industry is globalisation. What is meant by the term globalisation? (1 mark)
b. Select a textile product. Identify and describe TWO important aspects of marketing this textile product (4 marks)
Question 12 - Design
a. i. What methos of fabric decoration is suitable for a logo on a plain weave, woollen blazer? (1 mark)
a. ii. Give TWO reasons for your choice (2 marks)
b. Describe THREE principles of dyeing textiles (3 marks)
c. Explain how the availability of resources and the religious practices of culture(s) have influenced textile design (4 marks)
Question 13 - Properties and Performance of Textiles
a. Identify TWO advantages and TWO disadvantages of soil-resistant finishes (2 marks, 2 marks)
b. Describe TWO ways in which bicomponent yarns are used to enhance the performance of textiles (2 marks)
c. Identify a suitable fibre content and fabric structure for a sky-diver's parachute, and justify your choices (4 marks)

Section III (15 Marks)
Question 14 - Design
a. For a textile focus area(s) of your choice, identify TWO historical design developments and outline their influence on contemporary textile products, giving examples (6 marks)
b. For ONE contemporary designer of your choice, describe the inspiratiosn that characterise their work. Analyse how the designer has incorporated these inspirations into their work and the impact this has had on current trends (9 marks)
OR
Question 15 - Properties and Performance of Textiles
a. Identify TWO innovations in decorative techniques used to enhance textile design and outline why these would be used, giving examples of end products (6 marks)
b. For ONE area of textile production, describe the utilisation of new textile technologies. Analyse how these new technologies have impacted on the manufacturer, and on end products available to the consumer (9 marks)

mizz_smee

has a fetish 4 handcuffs
HSC
according to ur answers i got
8/10 for mulitple choice
but thats okay because
the ones i got wrong were the ones i guessed

special kake

textiles exam

that exam wasnt to bad. suprised it didnt have any questions about the environment. shame bout that, thats the stuff i knew.
and as 4 the dying question, the principles, there are only 4 of em.
the last question, well i did the one about design. that was a nice question to write heaps about. especially cause u can just mentiona ll this stuff about a designer and it can garuntee u better marks, especially if the marker dont know the designer. they pretty much have 2 go by what u say.
good luck 4 other exams n stuff ppl.
any one recieved thier major works back yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)