• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The 2nd biggest Accounting firm in aus by revenue is... (1 Viewer)

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
wot does revenue per accountant mean? An accountant with 5-6 years experience? I'm impressed with the salaries of the Partners... jeez it must be a wonderful sight to see ur pay slips.. yeeaa :p

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
A future benefit is a benefit. No need for elaboration.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
AppleXY said:
wot does revenue per accountant mean? An accountant with 5-6 years experience? I'm impressed with the salaries of the Partners... jeez it must be a wonderful sight to see ur pay slips.. yeeaa :p
Total revenue of the firm (or budgeted revenue) divided by number of accountants (ie. practice staff). It's basically a way of saying the average accountant generates X amount of revenue for the firm. Remember, the low down newbie undergrads charge a different rate to say, the directors and partners- so think of it as a weighted average, but it's by no means a true reflection of how much the individual is worth.

If you want to find that out, once you work in the firm, it's alot easier just to look at your chargeout rate and multiply it by target billable hours per FY.

Btw, those aren't "salaries". That's just calculating (approximately) how much revenue each partner brings in to the firm because the partners are the ones who help get clients, sign off on statements, etc...kind of like, a "Value in use" calculation? *shrugs*

If you want salary surveys for accoutants of varying experience in different types of firms/businesses- look elsewhere on this forum. There have been heaps of surveys, some more accurate than others.

AppleXY

s00 l33t xD
HSC
Uni Grad
ohhhh, I get it.. sorry, didn't know, coz a I thought it was a revenue in terms of the Partner perspective; thanks for lettin me noe ;)

turtleface

HSC
On a slightly unrelated note, whats the deal with billable hours? Don't you guys just charge your time in the office to clients too? Is there a common % that most people have when allocating hours btw clients and unallocated?

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
You only charge hours to clients when your doing client related work I guess.

On that note, I had one "photocopying day" a couple of weeks ago, which cost the client I was working for $900 (my chargeout for that day). It just seems ludicrous at face value.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
You can do client work from the office as well. People in my division do that a fair bit and that's what I've been doing a fair bit as well.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Billable hours is any time you're doing client-related work (which SHOULD be a lot of the time!). Even if you're on a client which isn't primarily yours (eg. doing courier work or sorting stuff), that's still billable :)

In my experience, I'd say around 5% is done in the office (where we are planning and researching/organising), and 95% is done at the client where we can ask them questions straight away, photocopy stuff there without taking back to office, etc...

turtleface

HSC
u wouldn't have a lot of hours you don't bill do you?

i remember at work exp, whenever you wanted to do something, like install software on to your computer, you had to supply a client code so they can get billed for it lol

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Yep. You're pretty much always doing billable work during busy season... even if you have no client, other divisions might need you! Not really sure what non-busy season will be like though.

So where'd you do work exp?

mr_shittles

Big Chief
HSC
redruM said:
Word is that Deloitte's revenue is closer to $600m
I think if you include the contribution of the BDO Melbourne office, Deloitte will have forecast revenue in 2007 of A$600m. But I think the BRW figures strips this out, because it would distort Deloitte's growth rates if you counted a new office as a growth in revenue.

That's my interpretation of the numbers, it might not be right though.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
mr_shittles said:
I think if you include the contribution of the BDO Melbourne office, Deloitte will have forecast revenue in 2007 of A$600m. But I think the BRW figures strips this out, because it would distort Deloitte's growth rates if you counted a new office as a growth in revenue.

That's my interpretation of the numbers, it might not be right though.
Do you think they'll include it in next years numbers? I mean you can't just keep ignoring a merger. :p

I was just going by a Deloitte publication, so bias wouldn't be surprising.

turtleface

HSC
I'll check it again once I get home but I think I read somewhere that they will include BDO Melbourne's fees in next years figures. Like Sweigers said something about 18% growth or such next year, with 6% due to BDO Melbourne (I don't think they're the exact numbers)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)