the 80s films thread. (1 Viewer)

Gurlpower

HSC
what up dawgs?

a passion for me has always been 80s movies, they were the bomb and i believe are generally better in quality than todays, they were sleek (unlike 70s films) but low on cgi (unlike todays are).

so does anyone have a particular fav 80s movie? or want to discuss one or two?

i looooove a film called 'they live'

political action thriller starring rowdy roddy piper hunting down intrusive aliens with lines like 'i want to chew bubblegum and kill you'

how a clever action film should be.

9 1/2 weeks

mickey rourke was the hottest man the world had ever seen. a film abouit relationships.

The thing

greatest horror of all time, mixed monster with psychological paranoia. a must see.

also, could a mod make this a sticky?

walrusbear

HSC
i haven't seen any of those three movies (though i love the few carpenter and cronenberg movies i've seen)

i'll mentioned briefly the awesomeness of another cronenberg movie called 'videodrome'
features james woods and deborah harry in schlocky horror of sorts where the physical body is altered by cancerous waves sent out during an awful snuff cable show: VIDEODROME.

some 80s comedies like better off dead and heathers are underrated whilst john hughes comedies were overrated.

one of my favourite films of the decade is Brazil. the only time terry gilliam could make a half decent movie to match his visual insanity. it's a 1984ish, bureaucratic, urban nightmare sort of film but with interesting flights of fantasy/insanity mixed in.

there's to get the ball rolling, plenty of quality 80s films

Pilgrim

HSC
scarface.
the shining.
back to the future two.
ferris buellers day off.
the breakfast club.
do the right thing.

stickywages

HSC
N/A
16 candles is quite tears-inflicting.
i wanna watch it again!

stickywages

HSC
N/A
miss_gtr said:
Its more comedy though. I love Molly Ringwald <3
i like her too. she's not very pretty the first time u see her, but she has this charm to her.....that makes her appear cuter.
love her character in Pretty in Pink.......

I LOVE THE GUY (BLANE) EVEN MORE!
he's soooooooooo cute (those gorgeous eyes, the way he looks at her when she passes by? awww)

Ducky has a nice personality and is hilarious

walrusbear

HSC
also love big trouble in little china (another john carpenter)
repo man
the 'burbs
vacation (+euro)
fast times at ridgemont high
stripes
bill and ted's excellent adventure
raiders of the lost ark
the blues brothers
empire strikes back

spiny norman

HSC
I'd say I prefer the 70s - it would vie with the 50s in contention for best decade in cinema as far as I am concerned. The 80s are a very interesting decade, somewhat transitional in a way. You have some of the old masters signing out (such as Kurosawa's Kagemusha and Ran, Bergman's Fanny & Alexander, Kubrick's The Shining and Full Metal Jacket, Tarkovsky's The Sacrifice and Leone's Once Upon a Time in America) and also a bunch of fresh young directors doing interesting things (such as Spielberg with Indiana Jones trilogy and ET, Scorsese with Raging Bull, the Studio Ghibli films, the Coens' Blood Simple).

And then you've got just kickarse action films and comedies like the Star Wars sequels, The Blues Brothers, Flying High, The Thing, This is Spinal Tap, The Terminator, Back to the Future, Aliens, Ferris Bueller, Hannah and Her Sisters, The Princess Bride, The Untouchables, Die Hard etc.

Solid decade. A lot of incredibly fun films.

bluesky100

Carly :-)
HSC
I like....

Flashdance
Uncle Buck
Goonies
Die Hard
January Man
Truly Madly Deeply
Gremlins
Steel Magnolias
St. Elmo's Fire = okay
Breakfast Club
Weird Science - okay
Predator
E.T
Bill And Ted's Excellent Adventure
Flight of the Navigator
Jaws 3 & 4 were okay (not as good as the 1st & 2nd)
Footloose
The Lost Boys
Superman II
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation/
Terminator
Back to the Future
Star Wars /The Empire Strikes Back /Return Of The Jedi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)