The Abortion Debate... (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Phanatical said:
Teenage pregnancy rates should be at 0. I'm not saying don't teach safe sex. I've been saying the whole time that abstinence should ALSO be at least mentioned in class as a possible way of avoiding becoming a mummy or a daddy. They don't even mention it - hell, that teacher I mentioned who went to fuck my classmate - he derided it. And the students listened.

The media also has a responsibility to tone down the sexuality of its teenage-focused product. The fact that we have tweens who are acting all sexual without even understanding what sexuality is is a testament to this fact.

My point, once again, is that the 16 year old shouldn't Have to consider whether or not to abort a child. If they do ever end up in that situation, then that's up to them, but I'd much rather people not put in that situation in the first place.

OH MY GOD! IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SAY 'DON'T HAVE SEX', TEENS WILL STILL HAVE SEX AND THE PREGNANCY RATE WILL NEVER REACH 0! EVER!

now excuse me, while you live in your fantasy world, I'll go live in reality, where people act on their sexual urges, and actually acknowledge the fact that increased focus on education has lead to much lower teenage pregnancy rates.

K

katie_tully

im baaaaack.

just had sex
ill let you know in 4 weeks if im pregnant.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
glycerine said:
OH MY GOD! IT DOESN'T MATTER HOW MUCH YOU SAY 'DON'T HAVE SEX', TEENS WILL STILL HAVE SEX AND THE PREGNANCY RATE WILL NEVER REACH 0! EVER!

now excuse me, while you live in your fantasy world, I'll go live in reality, where people act on their sexual urges, and actually acknowledge the fact that increased focus on education has lead to much lower teenage pregnancy rates.
I have NEVER said that increased education is bad. I'm just saying that increased education should NOT IGNORE ABSTINENCE AS A REAL AND VALID ALTERNATIVE.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
Yeah, um, we were taught that abstinence is a valid alternative... they basically told us we should seriously consider any sexual decisions we make, and remember that the only 100% safe method is abstinence etc. I also just asked my mother, who is a teacher, and is also HT of welfare and learning at her school, and she said that abstinence is in the syllabus as one of the things that must be taught, so if your school didn't, its their mistake.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
Yeah well, my school sucked in a lot of ways. But education in schools isn't the only way to promote abstinence and safe sex - the media should also stop encouraging people to have sex.

waterfowl

HSC
Asquithian said:
How does the media directly encourage kids to have sex? You were once 16? Did you automatically feel like you HAD to have sex after watching home and away or some other show?

Are you suggesting that movies should have no nudity and sex scenes should be edited out?
I don't think it directly encourages them, but most of the time it presents the view that everyone has sex, and if you don't you're different.

Friends: every character has sex
Sex in the City: it's in the title!
OC: sex
Home and Away: also has sex, although a bit more tame
Frasier: sex
Stargate
Seinfeld
Many movies, magazines
etc all have sex in them, and all present the view that everyone always has sex before marriage, and I don't know any of them that have characters who abstain or present that as an alternative.
The only characters who do abstain before marriage are presented as outcasts and people that are not to be associated with.

It may not directly encourage them but it does put these ideas in their head, and a lot of people are affected by the media.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
our existance: parents had sex.

It's pretty normal... those tv shows aim to be "true" to society, I admit they're crap, but they're also appropriatley rated. I'd steer my six year old kids away from sex and the city, informed it was rated M and occasionally MA? Wouldn't you? Shouldn't blame entirely on the media, what kind of parent would you be if you did?

I'm re-inforcing education here. Regardless of how much sex is portrayed, it comes down to the appropriate education. I mean, here we are, we're surrounded by sex, yet can make informed decisions about it. I think that's great.

waterfowl

HSC
Asquithian said:
Some people would feel that shows need to be real in that people tend to like as realist programs as possible. REAL LIFE invovles sex and sex before marriage. Realism.
Yeh but in real life a lot of people don't have sex before marriage, and these shows do not portray that.

glycerine

so don't even ask me
HSC
friends - the characters are adults
the oc - some of the characters presented in a sexual light are adults, or older teens (ie 16-18)
sex and the city - ditto
frasier - ditto
stargate - ditto
seinfeld - and yet again...

wouldn't know about home and away, but how are shows about adults directed mostly at adults showing adults in sexual relationships doing the wrong thing?

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
waterfowl, you put way to much emphasis upon the importance of sex. You act like, well, a sex obsessed virgin. I'm sure once you've had sex you'll realise that it's no big deal - be that on your wedding night or earlier. :uhhuh:

waterfowl

HSC
glycerine said:
, but how are shows about adults directed mostly at adults showing adults in sexual relationships doing the wrong thing?
I'm not saying they're doing the wrong thing, I was saying that the media IS full of sexual "pressure".

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
waterfowl said:
I'm not saying they're doing the wrong thing, I was saying that the media IS full of sexual "pressure".
I feel sorry for the media sometimes. It's blamed for anorexia and enforcing female stereotypes, violence, hate, drugs, crime and now sex. People love to pretend that they have no control over their actions.

btw, you could argue that Seventh Heaven is an unwholesome Christian influence, that warps the mind of young vunerable children who have no understanding of the consequences of their actions. :rolleyes:

crazyhomo

under pressure
HSC
waterfowl said:
people have sex because the media pressures them to do so

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
waterfowl said:

I DO see some sort of subtle pressure in things like rap videos where women are shaking, but that's more degrading a woman to think that men are a form of validation, and that women are sex objects....

but with appropriate education and parenting, it should all be okay....

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
crazyhomo said:
people have sex because the media pressures them to do so
That's the ticket, just like girls have weight problems because the media MAKES them feel badly about being overweight.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
I DO see some sort of subtle pressure in things like rap videos where women are shaking, but that's more degrading a woman to think that men are a form of validation, and that women are sex objects....

but with appropriate education and parenting, it should all be okay....
Why do we need education, for something that isn't wrong? btw: Women allow themselves to become sex objects.

waterfowl

HSC
Asquithian said:
Of course it is. However this doesnt mean you have to follow it blindly like a sheep.
Yeh I know, but unfortunately there are a lot of sad people out there who do listen to the media

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Asquithian said:
Of course it is. However this doesnt mean you have to follow it blindly like a sheep.

Yes yes yes. Its the media's fault that im stupid/fat/being pressured into something/ etc etc...
Silly asqy, PEOPLE HAVE NO CHOICE. ITS THE ZIONIST PROPAGANDA MACHINE!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)