The ANZACs... Should we remember? (1 Viewer)

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
Thats me...Mr. Sarcasm. Asquithian says its "The lowest form of wit."

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
thorrnydevil said:
Thats me...Mr. Sarcasm. Asquithian says its "The lowest form of wit."
eh, he's fine with me using it.
I would also just like to say although I am miss sarcasm, I have nothing whatsoever to do with thorrny. :p

thorrnydevil

Ancient Member
HSC
N/A
cherryblossom said:
eh, he's fine with me using it.
I would also just like to say although I am miss sarcasm, I have nothing whatsoever to do with thorrny. :p
Bullshit, whats with all those PMs you sent me? All the subjects were like: "Oh, Scott, I love you!" and "Oh thorrny you make me horny!" ect, etc

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Personally, I have not seen one whit of, let's say, 'progopganda' surrounding this Remembrance Day to do with 'glorifying the military' (except in photographs that portray the military at the time of the days/events we are remembering, and soldiers that are included within). What glorification of the military by John Howard via this Remembrance Day are you referring to, Asquithian?

ohne

HSC
Kwayera said:
Personally, I have not seen one whit of, let's say, 'progopganda' surrounding this Remembrance Day to do with 'glorifying the military' (except in photographs that portray the military at the time of the days/events we are remembering, and soldiers that are included within). What glorification of the military by John Howard via this Remembrance Day are you referring to, Asquithian?
"Glorifying" is an extreme word, however I have nothing against portraying the present day defence force in a positive light. They are an extremely professional group of people who do us all a great service. Asqy seems to view them as some kind of evil within our country that should be hidden away. Frankly I think they deserve a little more respect than that and I don't think asqy fully realises the full value of the service they provide to us.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
ohne said:
"Glorifying" is an extreme word, however I have nothing against portraying the present day defence force in a positive light. They are an extremely professional group of people who do us all a great service. Asqy seems to view them as some kind of evil within our country that should be hidden away. Frankly I think they deserve a little more respect than that and I don't think asqy fully realises the full value of the service they provide to us.
Agreed. I take particular offence to his statement (or, rather, implication) that the ADF is not worthy of being 'glorified' and, yes, should be hidden away - considering I plan to join the ADF (or, specifically, ADFA) after my HSC.

What is it about our DF that is so 'shameful' and that provokes the response (at least in Asquithian) that it needs to be 'toned down' - hidden away?

ohne

HSC
Kwayera said:
Agreed. I take particular offence to his statement (or, rather, implication) that the ADF is not worthy of being 'glorified' and, yes, should be hidden away - considering I plan to join the ADF (or, specifically, ADFA) after my HSC.

What is it about our DF that is so 'shameful' and that provokes the response (at least in Asquithian) that it needs to be 'toned down' - hidden away?
What would you like to do at ADFA? I am joining the RAA at present (only the reserves though) :(

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
ohne said:
What would you like to do at ADFA? I am joining the RAA at present (only the reserves though) :(
Well, I plan to study Marine Science/Oceanography through the RAN. I was planning to go through the RAAF with BTech(Av), but I didn't have the mathematics necessary. No matter ;)

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
becoming a pilot would be cool
Aye, it would - that's why I was so hell-bent on doing it, until I was shot down because of my dismal maths scores.

However, I can still become a civilian pilot (and have had some experience in single-engine fixed wings and soaring in gliders ;)

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
what kind of maths is required though?

being a civilian pilot is good- my nextdoor neighbour was apilot for qantas for years and he has all these stories that happened in different countries over the decades....lucky guy and now i think he is still an egineering consultant with qantas with the training section even in his retirement

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Asquithian said:
Yes Australia has a rich miltrary tradition...but id never join up to something (even if it was a defence force) in order to learn to kill living people...i would find it hard to live wiith if I had to kill a human if not in a situation of immidiate self denfence.
You do not join the ADF to learn how to kill. Of course, it is a skill you must learn, but it is not the main purpose.

DEFENCE. Think about that word for a moment.

Anyway, I'm joining for the opportunities, not because i'll have a chance to satisfy my human lust for battle. [/sarcasm]

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
thejosiekiller said:
what kind of maths is required though?

being a civilian pilot is good- my nextdoor neighbour was apilot for qantas for years and he has all these stories that happened in different countries over the decades....lucky guy and now i think he is still an egineering consultant with qantas with the training section even in his retirement
For military pilots - the good stuff. I'm talking 2U and above, though 3U-4U is preferred for the Hornet pilots (which is what I wanted to do). You need that kind of advanced maths for trajectories/etc.

Civilian piloting is good, yes, but I was talking private rather than commercial. ;)

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
1. Anzac history is made up. CEW Bean was clear that he was inaccurate and that he choose not to report certian incidents in order to present Aussies in a good light. There was also a disagreement with the official britishwar history. The British conceded in order to maintain good will with the colonies (Bean had written his history...following this the Brtish wrote their history...it didnt present the aussies very well...the aussie government wanted this changed so that aussies would not feel as if they were subject to propaganda by the aussie government...the british concded and changed their offical history)

the ANZAC legend is true however Bean Created it.

2. Glorification of war isnt something great in my books. However it is important to remember those who fell. I would never advocate the sweeping away of the memory of war and for those who fought for the nation. It is important to remember the loss on both sides and the impact war has on generations so as we do as much as possible before using force.

3. It is sad that those who often fight dont understand why they are fighting. War is not a pretty thing (wholesale rape of women on the battle field)...If anything we should be celebrating peace just as much as those who have fallen.

I would find it hard to join the defence force when in many ways the current defence force not one. When there are incidents such as the one up in townsville. Also the reports on the lack of respect shown for women in the army.

Yes Australia has a rich miltrary tradition...but id never join up to something (even if it was a defence force) in order to learn to kill living people...
you are right about the ANZAC's much of it is propaganda fed to us by past politicians and sections of society in an attempt to differentiate us from the British

you are right that war is not a pretty thing. anyone who believes so has serious problems, it is something that should be avoided at all costs. having said that i do not accept your attack on the defence force, they perform a variety of tasks such as peacekeeping, humanitarian work and protecting this country. i believe that they are broadly a force for good and the fact we have such a professional force has actually helped prevent wars for the most part.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Asquithian said:
When was the last time that Australian soil was attacked in which we actually had to use our DEFENCE force?
Defence doesn't just mean defence of our home soil; it also means defending those who need it.

But, lets not get into the current war in Iraq, which I just know you're itching to bring up.

ohne

HSC
Asquithian said:
When was the last time that Australian soil was attacked in which we actually had to use our DEFENCE force?
That is exactly the argument I was trying to get accross. Why do you think this is the case???

Asquithian said:
I dont think i was attacking the defence force?...if your gonna use the 'un Australian' howard tag on me ...dont...im probably more aware of Australian history than go patriot out in the burbs...and by doing Aussie history in my degree it at least indicates that im proud of Australia and dont have any seditious feelings
i am pleased for you

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Asquithian said:
Anyone who knows anything about International law knows that thw war in iraq is sus. (then agian international law is for wankers)

and yes defence is a very loose word these days. I mean otday it has expanded to mean 'punish' those who are bad...not in actual self defence...
Punish those who are bad? Explain, with sources.

Generator

HSC
N/A
With respect to ANZAC Day... I just have a problem with the way that the country tends to look back to a mythical past (hardly an Australian force when they were off fighting in Europe for the King and the Empire, don't you think?) in order to build a sense of hope for the future... Surely we can honour all who have served through the ANZAC Day tradition and then look forward with the hope that today, rather than the past, provides?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)