The Appetizers Thread (1 Viewer)

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Being the sophisticated folk we are, I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we can share our recipes for appetizers for gatherings.... because sometimes if you have to bring a plate to something it can be a pain to think up something good to take.

If I get asked to take a plate to something I often like to make a dip because they can be relatively cheap and easy and it looks like you are skilled in the kitchen.

These are a couple of my dip recipes

Chunky homemade Salsa

This is really easy, tasty and healthy.

You need 3 tomatoes (preferably roma), one green capsicum and one red (spanish) onion.

Chop all three quite finely. Put in bowl. Mix. Add pepper. Add tabasco sauce to taste. Voila! You have a very healthy and colorful salsa which is great on corn chips, crackers, or even on crusty bread.

Homemade Avocado Dip

Once again, this is insanely easy but tasty. Take 2 avocadoes, finely dice up the avocados, put in bowl. Mash up with a fork until relatively smooth with mayonaise and sweet chili sauce to taste. Voila!

Mint and Pineapple Dip

Sounds a bit gross but it is really yummy and refereshing, esp in summer. Take a tin of crushed pineapple... drain off a bit of the syrup, not all of it. Take a block of light philedelphia cheese. Put pineapple and cheese in bowl. Finely chop some fresh mint and add to taste. Then mash and mix it all together with a fork. Yum, especially with celery or jatz bikkies.

Some other non dip stuff

Sweet Chili and Cheese Bread

Take some crusty bread rolls, cut in half and open up. Lightly butter the roll, then spread a layer of Sweet Chili Sauce over both sides of the roll. Sprinkle with cheese, and then bake in over for a short while until cheese is melted.

Zucchini and Bacon Bruschetta

Take some crusty bread, cut into slices... sprinkle with some shredded zucchini and bacon bits, and a bit of cheese. Bake in over until cheese melts. Yum yum.

It's time for everyone else to share!! We will be throwing the most kickass parties in the block with the best nibblies!!!

~*HSC 4 life*~

HSC
N/A
i love making dumplings, and it's really easy. I'm probably doing it a really dodgy/untraditional way but it still tastes good.

You basically need chicken mince, finely chopped corriander, oyster sauce, soy soyce and the dumpling 'pastry' which you can buy from asian supermarkets.

you just mix the corriander and the oyster sauce into the mince (to taste). Then you prepare the dumplings but taking a circle 'pastry' and putting about a teaspoon of the mince mixture into it (if the pastry isn't already floured you can put a bit of flour onto it) then i usually wet my finger tip with water, and run it along the edges to moisten, before i fold it in half and pinch aroudn the sides, because i'm bad at doing decorative stuff :p

then you just boil them till you see the pastry go white and dimply, but make sure you check before you take them out that the meat inside is cooked. Then i serve the dumplings with soy sauce, mixed with a bit of chilli

Lennie

Well, im sure as we all know, pesto is gold for any occasion. Get a good pesto recipe and you will be set for life.

My favourite is classic, but oh-so tasty :p

Basil pesto

Shove;

3 cups of fresh basil leaves
half a cup of pine nuts
roughly 2 cups of grated parmesan cheese
pinch of salt

...into a blender or food processor and leave on until smooth.
Pour half a cup of olive oil in and wait until distributed evenly.

And there you have a great tasting, never failing pesto which can be used in conjunction with almost anything and still manage to sound classy :cool:

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
My nanna used to make all these 1960s cocktail foods whenever she would have a party.

Some of them were nice, some of them overused cocktail onions and gherkins which aren't really to my liking.

One that was tasty was jatz bikkies, with a slice of hard boiled egg (you can actually buy an egg slicer, they are such a cool contraption) and a bit of black caviar on top.

A lady told me a nice recipe the other day when I was working at coles.

Has everyone seen those pikelets "bites" (the mini ones)... well you take them, put some creme freche on top with a little smoked salmon. Very nice apparently, I am yet to try it.

Lennie

^^^ yeah those pikelet things are everwhere.
im not one for raw salmon, but they seem to go down quite well at gatherings :rolleyes:
You can put heaps of different toppings on them too.

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
Back to dips, my mum makes this orgasmic guacamale dip stuff. here goes:
Bottom layer, can of refried beans spread on the bottom of a wide, dish.
Next layer, 2 mashed up avacados with a bit of italian salad dressing and salt and pepper
Next layer, Nachos topping. its in the supermarkets, thats actually what its called. Nachos toppping, spread carefully on top of the other layers
Next layer, sour cream, this bit is a bit hard to do, without getting the sour cream all red from the nachos topping underneath, so just try your best
Top layer is heapps and heaps of grated cheese.

Whenever me and my friends do something, they always insist on 'The Dip'. That whats we call it but omg is sooooo good.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)