The art of being a politician.... (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Hawke was genuine, I thought. He was just a little insecure and had to be loved by everyone.
Keating was obviously an awesome leader. He never tried to be popular, he tried to be a strong and responsible advocate for the national and global interest, as a whole - including the disadvantaged. He probably had the best priorities and agenda we've ever seen - nothing else should be necessary. When people rejected that, I think he, in a way, rejected them as short-sighted, and perhaps not worth the effort. Sad but probably true.
But that's not to detract from his considerable political skills. Especially in verbally chewing people out, and articulating policy. Not bad for a drop-out westie.

Nebuchanezzar

Banned
HSC
Hawke showed some genuine emotion too. I recall that guy who was murd..."executed" in Malaysia or something like that, and didn't Mr. Hawke get all teary and ended up calling the Malaysian government barbaric or something of that nature? It's refreshing to see a leader actually act like a real person, unlike Mr. Howards reaction to that Nguyen thing a few years back, where his most emotional comment was a stone faced "I sat and reflected on it in my office."

In regards to Keating and his arrogance, it's quite odd for me to like Keating, but despise Howard for his arrogance. I wonder why that distinction is made. I mean, I don't mind Costellos arrogance during question time when he's verbally abusing Wayne Swan, I find it entertaining. When Howard does it though, it doesn't become anywhere near as enjoyable. Quite odd...

frog12986

The Commonwealth
HSC
Iron said:
Who are you to judge what is exaggerated or not? These arent vague statements of ideology. This is cold, hard science.
Australia has a huge role to play, given our resources (Qld alone is the worlds largest coal exporter). Also, we have an incredible capacity to be a global role model to states like America.
Cold hard science? Don't you mean warm hard science?

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
frog12986 said:
Cold hard science? Don't you mean warm hard science?
Ill show you warm and hard. You and that 'backdoor' of yours.

Raginsheep

HSC
Nebuchanezzar said:
In regards to Keating and his arrogance, it's quite odd for me to like Keating, but despise Howard for his arrogance. I wonder why that distinction is made. I mean, I don't mind Costellos arrogance during question time when he's verbally abusing Wayne Swan, I find it entertaining. When Howard does it though, it doesn't become anywhere near as enjoyable. Quite odd...
Keating and Costello are "upfront" with their arrogance.

random 7

HSC
I don't like both of them....... especially Howard......... lied too many times to the pubilc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)