The Ashes (2 Viewers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmy_B

HSC
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
And while im on a rant, Flintoff the best cricketer in the world? Give me a break.
he's certainly the best all rounder going around. can't wait to see him at the scg. got my tickets safely stowed away for it.

edit: here's some stats for him too.

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

Career 52 2641 167 33.43 5 17 143 5/58 32.31 2 34 0
Since 03 31 1998 167 43.43 4 15 110 5/58 27.86 2 20 0

he's averaged 43 with the bat and 27 with the ball. outstanding. no one comes close to freddie.

Last edited:

Jimmy_B

HSC
kallis doesn't bowl too much anymore. pollock is a good'un though.

trust a seth efrikan fan to think of them though ;)

edit: pollocks stats

Mat Runs HS BatAv 100 50 W BB BowlAv 5w Ct St

Career 94 3133 111 31.33 2 13 377 7/87 22.09 16 65 0
Since 03 27 727 66* 26.92 0 2 104 6/39 25.45 2 21 0

over the past couple of years, bowling wise not too much in it, but freddie's the far superior batsman. pollock is amazing, but freddie is the best going around today by far.

Last edited:

Sarah

HSC
N/A
bJ_Bhoy 87 said:
im really struggling to see where there are grounds to sack Punter.

Are we gonna do what the all-blacks do- when we lose a match we sack our leaders?

The test of punters captaincy will be the way that Australia bounces back. continued poor performances should be the ground for his sacking.

And who would take the captaincy anyway? it seemed a joint effort from punter and gilly, replacing him with gilly seems pointless.

There is a school of thought that fast bowlers dont get the nod. Anyway, McGrath is only a year or two before retirement, he would only be temporary. Ditto for Warnie, and if he was selected anyway, there would be outrage about his past discreptancies (for warnie fans out there- i love the bloke, but hes a tool off field)

Clarke and Tait, and even Binger are still too immature for the spot. Katich is only a relative newcomer in the squad, despite his nsw captain credentials.

So we are left with Hayden, Langer and Martyn. Many on this thread are calling for a few of these players sacking from the squad altogether, so would they warrant captaincy?

We only lost 2-1. Throughout the series we never batted first, therefore always on the backfoot. Come next Ashes at home, it should be a different story, maybe a whitewash.

And while im on a rant, Flintoff the best cricketer in the world? Give me a break.
I doubt they'd sack Ponting. It's only been 1 series that we lost. And it was 2-1 so it was still close.

As to Gilly, isn't he close to retirement? I thought i heard it somewhere....

Flintoff is a very good cricketer. Australia could do with an all-rounder at test level.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
and have either of them played international tests?
Yes they have.

Over the past decade i think ( i could be wrong, either way, they've played at international level).

Sarah

HSC
N/A
angelduck said:
sorry, are they aus? I was assuming that, and coz they weren't in the current team.,...

I should stop assuming things, do they play for South Africa?
Nope, they're not Aust. They're South African.

Pollock is the captain of the Sth African team. Ok i'm almost sure he is but i haven't been following the cricket lately so there may have been changes.

Sarah

HSC
N/A
Sarah said:
Pollock is the captain of the Sth African team. Ok i'm almost sure he is but i haven't been following the cricket lately so there may have been changes.

Jimmy_B said:
Graeme Smith is the sa captain. has been for a couple of seasons now.
Hmm...looks like i need to start following the cricket again

Jimmy_B

HSC
Graeme Smith is the sa captain. has been for a couple of seasons now.

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
Regarding the Ponting captaincy, it is only natural to blame the captain when the team loses something they should have won. That's the responsibility the captain shoulders when he is first annointed. I don't think most people (even Lillee) were serious when they questioned his captaincy, it was, merely questioning. The media needed an outlet to concentrate on for a headline - and this time around its punter and his captaincy. He is clearly the man for the job. Gilly's workrate means he could really only deputise, and warnie's off-field record just wont wash with the games many conservatives, even though he would obviously be a great captain.

Australia's next captain is almost certainly going to be Michael Clarke, but that will only be when Ponting retires, which i'm guessing will be sometime around 2009. Clarke captained Australia at under-19 level, and should have about 6 years to captain the aussies.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
Smokey_22 said:
Australia's next captain is almost certainly going to be Michael Clarke, but that will only be when Ponting retires, which i'm guessing will be sometime around 2009. Clarke captained Australia at under-19 level, and should have about 6 years to captain the aussies.
yeh go clarke for aussie captain...:)...im sure we will we all our matches with him as captain *fingers crossed*

^___^
HSC
it will be pretty fucked if they sacked pointing, esp under the selection's policy where you stick with your players through and through;

as someone stated, its only natural to blame the captain, but how many people realised what the players actually went through the series?

London bombing anyone?
Pretty average form coming into the series?
More than half of the players are 30+ age wise?

Pointing has the hardest job at the moment, to gel in the young blood with the current squad.

tasha1188

Forever is overrated!!
HSC
u forgot mcgrath missing out on 2 matched...both of which we lost...so yeh...if he played we couldve won the series

^___^
HSC
tasha1188 said:
u forgot mcgrath missing out on 2 matched...both of which we lost...so yeh...if he played we couldve won the series

so are you saying Australia is really a one man team?

i wouldn't say australia lost just purely the fact Pigeon was out, although i am inclined to say Australia is REALLY lacking in the pace department

remember Steve Waugh's last test against India here a few yrs ago? McGrath was out and we couldn't break India's top order; by then i would've though the selection process would look into blooding new talents, but nope, and how bad did it backfired

Smokey_22

the member
HSC

Smokey_22

the member
HSC
Australia A 1st innings
MEK Hussey lbw b Mohammad Asif 15
JR Hopes b Mohammad Asif 146
MJ North b Mansoor Amjad 18
BJ Hodge c Bazid Khan b Najaf Shah 68
DJ Thornely run out 21
SR Watson not out 20
*+BJ Haddin not out 5
Extras (b 5, lb 1, nb 19) 25
Total (5 wickets, 90 overs) 318

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
James hopes, interesting. I always thought he was a bowling allrounder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)