The Be-All, End-All Comparison between UNSW and USyd (1 Viewer)

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
hey HSC 2008ers. so you've got a pretty good UAI and now you're stuck deciding to which university to go. and so you send me a PM. normally that's not a problem, except like it's post-HSC, so all of you decide to attack me at once. normally that's also not a problem, except it's like christmas time and summer time and i wanna play my wii and go to the beach. anyway, i digress.

a fellow member (let's call him Josh), asked me the following questions:-

Do I miss out on any 'prestige' and the opportunities said prestige could afford after graduation by choosing UNSW over USyd?
unless your chosen career path involves being a High Court judge (of which we have none as alumni), i don't think so. if you're interested at where UNSWers end up, i suggest you check out our alumni webpage and this 'future students' webpage. in terms of 'big firm' employment, i think we're as good as USyd pound-for-pound.

But only USyd offer a Law exchange with a Japanese university's Faculty of Law!
who told you that piece of misinformation? have a look here at the list of Japanese exchange partnershttp://www.international.unsw.edu.au/exchange/exchangepartners.html#J we have. we also run a summer school over in Japan as well. both our faculties are part of ANJeLhttp://www.anjel.unsw.edu.au/ (Australian Network for Japanese Law), which operates a kyoto/tokyo summer school programhttp://www.anjel.unsw.edu.au/content/anjel_teaching_pro.html.

Of course, the exchanges with NYU and Harvard on offer at USyd are appealing too.
we have NYU too. in the UK we have University College London (top 5 UK law faculty). in canada we have all the top-3 law schools (Toronto, Queens, British Columbia). i guess what i'm saying is that you won't run out of options for exchange, no matter if you go to USyd or UNSW.

I'm more concerned about receiving the best quality of teaching for my Law and Japanese degrees.
have you considered ANU as well? they have a dedicated asian studies facultyhttp://asiapacific.anu.edu.au/, and gut feeling says that should be heads and shoulders better than our piddly little school of languageshttp://languages.arts.unsw.edu.au/.

in terms of teaching at UNSW, i'm pretty satisfied most of the time. i have reasonably good access to my teachers. they're all responsive to my concerns (but, in university, you have to be proactive and raises your concerns with them). most if not all of them are dedicated to the task. they give feedback. some of the core subjects are crap (like 'law and social theoryhttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/course/LAWS8820/') but my electiveshttp://www.law.unsw.edu.au/Course/undergraduate.asp#electives have all been really interesting and fun. while the faculty touts the 'socratic methodhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Socratic_method', basically what this means in practice is that reading is expected to be done, there are class participation marks (of up to 20% of the final mark in some courses). class sizes are small as possible (but nowadays uni class sizes are usually 30-40). in summary, i think the teaching at UNSW is pretty good. :)

Basically, I was wondering why you chose to go to UNSW Law as opposed to USyd Law. Were you happy with your choice? If not, would have you transfered to USyd Law earlier in your degree
actually i didn't start at UNSW. i didn't even make the cut-off back then (it was about 99.35 in my year). i transferred from UTS. ummm, i'm pretty happy with my choice. i think our law school is very collegial and the people are a great bunch. i could've had the opportunity to transfer to USyd, but i didn't because i liked the environment at UNSW better. and no, i don't regret my decision at all.

And what advice could you offer that might make my current dilemma a tad easier to solve?
hey if you can't decide, why don't you submit it a BoS poll? ;)

---

ok, any other questions? please keep it all to one thread.

Last edited:

hfis

Dyslexic Fish
HSC
N/A
Came in here totally expecting a size 72 'STOP POSTING'.

Frigid said:
hey if you can't decide, why don't you submit it a BoS poll? ;)
You're evil.

nandayo

ismist
HSC
Thanks a bunch for that Frigid, immensely helpful - and congratulations on your graduation!

Last edited:

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
USyd. no limits.

seriously, if you got 99.55+, don't waste your UAI and do a lower-requirement course

Sydney Law School established 1855 = prestige

UNSW has only had graduates from its law course for around 30 years.

also think about transport. for most people, UNSW means the extra bus trip to kensington. this is easily 30min each way... so you're wasting an hour a day for five years. it also costs $3 for the return journey, so it adds up

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Domitius E said:
Sydney Law School established 1855 = prestige. UNSW has only had graduates from its law course for around 30 years.
I hope you're in year 12. I'd be surprised if a law student at a prestigious school like Usyd fell into the trap of making such a blatant logical fallacy.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
He said 'no limits' he must be METAL AS FUCK.

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
USyd. no limits.

seriously, if you got 99.55+, don't waste your UAI and do a lower-requirement course

on your reasoning, the OP should do MBBS LLB at Monashhttp://www.med.monash.edu.au/medical/combined.html or complete his law degree at the University of Bolognahttp://www.eng.unibo.it/PortaleEn/U...ructures/Academic+Structures/schedule/Law.htm (1088 > 1855).

bell531

Member's Member 2008
HSC
N/A
They're basically the same course aren't they? So is the only difference, re teaching, the lecturers that each school employs?

Obviously there's other factors to consider like location and social life, but I'm still stuck on what differs UNSW from USYD. Do they teach differently?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Yeah pretty much, and depending on what your aim is, ie High Court Judge vs Solicitor/Barrister etc

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
USyd. no limits.

This reminds me of someone I used to know, an international student at Victoria University. When I asked him "Why Victoria University?"

I cannot remember his exact words but his line of reasoning was because Victoria University represents the whole State of Victoria and it sounded much bigger and better, and more impressive than 'just' Melbourne University.

Domitius E

HSC
N/A
Frigid said:
on your reasoning, the OP should do MBBS LLB at Monash or complete his law degree at the University of Bologna (1088 > 1855).
o rly?

Monash MBBS/LLB is by selection after first-year med, so UAI is largely irrelevant to that.

And I think the OP was just choosing between the two unis, so saying that the University of Bologna may be better than Sydney because of its age, is less than helpful for his purposes.

RogueAcademic

HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
And I think the OP was just choosing between the two unis, so saying that the University of Bologna may be better than Sydney because of its age, is less than helpful for his purposes.
no rly.

If the OP was choosing between the University of Bologna and Sydney Univeristy, by your logic, you'd argue that Bologna is a superior university simply based on its age, without any reference to other far more important considerations.

Last edited:

VanDAmme

HSC
N/A
Domitius E said:
USyd. no limits.

loltool

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
Domitius E said:
That attitude is so immature, grow up. Its not like you paid money for it! Those people who are there just to 'use up their UAI' are the most annoying and drive us all nuts, first of all there is someone out there who is dying for their spot and secondly all they do is complain about how the course is.

People who don't want to waste their UAI are the first ones to drop out and often can't hack it in law.

People should grow a pair and do what they want to do regardless of what other people think *i.e. people will think I am wasting my UAI if I do a straight commerce degree/teaching degree rather than law*

To anyone comparing uni's (like Frigid I get quite a few emails to compare UWS and MQ) firstly we cannot tell you which uni to pick, its all personal choice and there is no one-size fits all uni, it needs to suit your needs and we cannot tell you that. Secondly I am happy to answer questions but make them specific, not 'tell me about UWS' or compare UWS and MQ. Ask me about specific things like extra -curriculars or something.

ari89

MOSSAD Deputy Director
HSC
N/A
RogueAcademic said:
This reminds me of someone I used to know, an international student at Victoria University. When I asked him "Why Victoria University?"

I cannot remember his exact words but his line of reasoning was because Victoria University represents the whole State of Victoria and it sounded much bigger and better, and more impressive than 'just' Melbourne University.
Hahaha

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
Demandred said:
UNSW has the impressive Kingsford Legal Centre, Usyd has none :(
Redfern Legal Centre is pretty close... though I'm not sure if you can get course credit for working there.

but that begs the question: why would you want to use up course credit doing work experience?

lionking1191

HSC
Domitius E said:
o rly?

Monash MBBS/LLB is by selection after first-year med, so UAI is largely irrelevant to that.

lol.

the purpose of the reference is to illustrate the fallacy inherent in your line of argument.. the point is to draw attention to the lack of reliability of your recommendation so the OP can make a sounder judgment.

that i think, is more helpful than anything you've offered so far.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)