The Beaconsfield miners (1 Viewer)

pottsy44

HSC
i find this to be an absolute minor miracle.

In what has been described as a miracle, two miners trapped nearly a kilometre underground for more than five days have been discovered alive.

Just after 7.30pm (AEST) tonight, the Beaconsfield Gold Mine company said Todd Russell, 35, and Brant Webb, 36, had been located and "indications are they are still alive''.

Their workmate, 44-year-old Larry Knight, was killed when an earthquake on Tuesday night caused a rockfall, trapping the three men underground.

Mr Knight's body was retrieved on Thursday.

The news of the two men's survival spread quickly through the small town of 1000 near Launceston, with many rushing to the mine site.

Beaconsfield Gold Mine manager Matthew Gill said the rescue was continuing.

Rescuers expect to complete their mission and bring Russell and Webb to the surface tonight.

Camera clue to miners' whereabouts

A form of radio or camera communication was used to establish that two miners missing underground in Tasmania were still alive, the men's union said.

"I understand there's been some form of radio monitoring and communication to understand that these guys are alive,'' Australian Workers Union national secretary Bill Shorten told Sky News.

"Whether it's by camera or two-way radio I can't verify that yet.''

Mr Shorten added: "What I'm hearing from the people on the ground is something good is happening.

"Obviously if this is the case, Beaconsfield is the centre of a mining miracle.

"Rescuers are working as hard as they can. As was said at the outset, mine management, the workers, everyone is working together."

Mr Shorten said rescuers had been working around the clock, excavating "slowly, steadily, but safely''.

United Church Community Minister Frances Seen said she was in church praying when Todd Russell's mother came running in with the news.

"Todd Russell's mother came running in singing out 'they're alive, they're alive, they're alive','' she told Sky News. "And she cried and hugged us and it was exciting."

Reverend Seen said Mr Russell's brother had reported that a camera had "gotten through to them'' and they were still alive and that they ``seemed to be okay''.

"They've called in all the miners in to start work getting them out,'' she said.

"And they'll have them out tomorrow so it's going to still be a little bit of time but at least they're still alive. It's wonderful. We can celebrate now.''

Todd Russell's brother Stephen said the family did not yet know the full story. ``It's great news,'' Mr Russell said.
http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/trapped-miners-found-alive/2006/04/29/1146198389856.html

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Re: Two trapped miners found alive!

Who gives a shit? They are miners and their from Tasmania.

iamsickofyear12

HSC

It's nice that they found them but I don't think it was necessary for channel 9 to interrupt CSI for 30 minutes to ask a bunch of randoms stupid and repetitive questions. They are safe, everyone is happy... WE GET IT. Go back to the bloody show.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC

iamsickofyear12 said:
It's nice that they found them but I don't think it was necessary for channel 9 to interrupt CSI for 30 minutes to ask a bunch of randoms stupid and repetitive questions. They are safe, everyone is happy... WE GET IT. Go back to the bloody show.
mike munro's fucking fault.

Dr_Doom

HSC

Lucky they were in that cage...

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A

This I did not see coming.

Now, the trick is to get these poor bastards out of that place.

K

katie_tully

Channel Nine's coverage on Sunday night was depressing. Mike Munroe couldn't report his way out of a paper bag.

A wet paper bag.
Somebody fire him. Send him to SBS or something. Or just don't put him on during CSI.

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad

anybody else finidng the media coverage of this excessive?

K

katie_tully

I'm over it. There are only so many times I can hear the same thing, in one day.

They have food, they have water, they're in a cherry picker, they wont be out until Thursday, the family are happy, it's bitter sweet. Etcetera, etcetera, etcetera.

Just shut up and broadcast when they're finally bloody out.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC

Lets talk about Bill Shorten!

Clearly this has been good for him. It has been a golden opportunity for him to get national exposure and get unions back in the public's good-books.

How do people think he performed? Did he strike you as the next PM, or at least Labor leader? Did you also laugh when it became obvious that all the networks were giving him a box to stand on, so as to increase his height?

I dont think that he made as much use of it as he could have, and he clearly doesnt have the charisma of someone like Hawke, but who knows.

[edit: this also applies to the Labor thread]

malkin86

HSC

Does anyone think it's stretching things to link the proposed changes in IR law to this accident? I heard that someone in the mining industry (how very specific, I know...) reckons that atm there's too much focus on getting the resources and not enough on looking out for people.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC

absolution* said:
Who gives a shit? They are miners and their from Tasmania.
What's that I see flying out of the window? Oh, it's any credibility you might have had when you claim to be of the 'left'.

Anyway, so Bill Shorten thinks these two poor guys had the IR reforms on their mind when the collapse occured. Such immeasurable evil in this legislation, I hope no one thinks about it when they're driving through a tunnel or something.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC

It would be mildly amusing if the ambulance crashed and they died anyway.

basketcase89

I've got a sunset
HSC

Malfoy said:
This is completely awesome. I swear I almost cried when I saw the footage of them come out alive.

(And to the person who said the media coverage was excessive... it's nowhere near as excessive as the coverage of Sophie Delezio. Those guys coming out alive is a minor miracle - really extraordinary.)
Are you serious?

SarahMary

*Procrastination Central*
HSC

In the end, sick of it. Yes, it's fantastic they got out alive, but ffs ever heard of overkill?

It's what I want that's easy. It's getting it that
HSC

now we just have to sit and wait for the "exclusive story" battle. My bet is on Channel 7. Apparantly one of them is a big Kochy fan. But then again, eddie mcguire did put an "unknown amount" of money on the bar and he is organising a concert.

I was a bit tired of the repetitive nature of the story. I dont remember the thredbo disaster getting this much coverage. Basically every news/current affairs show was down there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)