The benefits of climate change (1 Viewer)

Vindictus

HSC
Lots of species go extinct. It won't necessarily be detrimental to human life. Plenty of species will of course to survive and many will prosper and increase in numbers, the point is that there will still be plenty of food, most likely more food in a warmer climate.
Pretty much everything on Earth is interrelated in some way. Sure, some crappy little species of plant that nobody cares about may go extinct. But what if that plant feeds another creature, which feeds another creature, which in turn spreads the seeds of another plant, which feeds another bug, which feeds a larger animal.. it goes on.

Well you haven't really given us any evidence that the benefits will be dramatically outweighed by the costs.
I really can't be bothered googling anything for 'proof'

Al Gore gives a basic understanding, go watch his video.

When you have an entire planet based around many different climates, upping the degrees, even a few, has massive effects world wide.

Regardless if pro's and con's, it's incredibly selfish for a single race to charge blindly into a global warming without taking any sort of action. Humanity is just that intelligent.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Much less food from the ocean, however, which is a huge source of protein to developing nations. Rising CO2 = rising oceanic acidification = plankton with calcium carbonate shells (and hard corals, come to think of it) are very unhappy = bottom-up trophic cascade.
The amount of ice that would melt would far and away outweigh the amount of CO2 added to the atmosphere, overall acidity in the medium term would not increase.

Most of worlds population living on the coast + Sea levels rising significantly = Many people displaced at best, and many more having lost their lives, at worst.
What is this I don't even? The sea level isn't going to rise 3 m in 2 seconds, no one will die.

missilelass

HSC
Whats the point of arguing about this? We won't know what happens until it happens. Meanwhile, individuals should try not to pollute the environment or waste our resources. Saying climate change has benefits is no excuse for environmental pollution.

Riet

Tomcat Pilot
HSC
Whats the point of arguing about this? We won't know what happens until it happens. Meanwhile, individuals should try not to pollute the environment or waste our resources. Saying climate change has benefits is no excuse for environmental pollution.
climate change and pollution are separate issues.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
If CO2 counts as pollution than I guess we should all stop breathing. Be pro-active, go first.
Uh uh uh. Scientifically, pollutants can be those present naturally in an environment, but in abnormal concentrations. In this case, CO2 can certainly be considered a pollutant.

Vindictus

HSC
If CO2 counts as pollution than I guess we should all stop breathing. Be pro-active, go first.
No one said Co2 is bad. People have been saying, however, that LOTS of Co2 is bad. Like, the Co2 of car emissions x the total amount of cars running in the world. That's pretty bad. And it doesn't compare to us breathing.

I'm guessing it's purely coincidental that in the last century, when humanity really gained wider access to cars, these trends have been noticed as a result. I mean, you really can't have too much of a good thing. Something is bound to happen.

Or maybe you're just trolling?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)