The best email for large file attachments? (1 Viewer)

Link

Hey everyone!

What's the best web-based email for large file attachments?

gmail looks like it's on a winner with it's storage space, but what providers let you send huge files?

Cheers!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
soon to be 10mb!

Microsoft to boost Hotmail
By Allison Linn in Seattle
June 24, 2004

MICROSOFT'S Hotmail will become the latest Web-based e-mail service to increase the amount of storage space available for its free accounts, after similar moves by rivals.

Beginning later in the northern summer, the company plans to increase the amount of storage for its free Hotmail account inboxes to 250 megabytes, up from two megabytes. Users also will be able to send larger attachments, up to 10 megabytes.

The Hotmail changes announced yesterday follow Google Inc's plans for its Gmail service, with 1000 megabytes of free storage. The leading competitor in the Web e-mail field, Yahoo! Inc, recently upgraded its free mail accounts to 100 megabytes of storage.

Blake Irving, a corporate vice president with Microsoft's MSN online division, said the company had not heard that customers were eager to bulk up storage on Hotmail accounts. But, he said, amid the attention surrounding e-mail storage, the company did not want competitors to have an edge with larger storage capacities.

"Our users haven't cared about storage and we just wanted to take it off the table," he said.

Mr Irving said users were much more worried about issues such as spam and security. Beginning next month, the Redmond, Washington-based software giant also plans to bolster the anti-virus protection for its free e-mail accounts.

Previously, Hotmail would scan incoming e-mails for viruses and give users the option to delete infected files. Now, Mr Irving said, the service would offer to clean up the attachment, removing the virus but still allowing viewing of the e-mail.

The company used to offer this service only as part of its paid e-mail offerings.

Microsoft also has previously asked Hotmail users to pay between $US19.95 ($29) and $US59.95 a year to get between 10 and 100 megabytes of storage. Now that those levels of storage will be free, Microsoft says it will charge $US19.95 a year for users who want two gigabytes of online storage.

Microsoft's Hotmail service attracted nearly 34.1 million unique users in May, according to Nielsen/NetRatings, trailing Yahoo, which had 40.4 million unique e-mail users.

The Associated Press

http://news.com.au/common/story_pag...55E1702,00.html

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Well, I guess that's...relatively good news. Not that I use my Hotmail account for much anyway.

Although, if I didn't despise Yahoo! with every fibre of my being, I would have gotten one of their larger free accounts.

fatmuscle

HSC
Originally posted by jm1234567890
no it isn't...
it is 3meg

you get 15meg storage
hahhaha

santa u dumbarse!

sup winston?!
u winking at me cos u want to get in bed with me?

seriously, now that more and more people have access to broadband, why email large attachments?
FTP

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by fatmuscle

sup winston?!
u winking at me cos u want to get in bed with me?
i can never lie to u can i? :p... haha how's it going?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by santaslayer
Therefore you get to send 15MB don't you?

Shuddup Muscle :p (and don't ban me :p)
lol, no

that is like saying gmail will let you send 1gig attachments

ZeGoat

brown!
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
HELLO SKINNY MUSCLE!!
on the topic of fatmuscle, i was looking through the uts courses book thingo, and dere was this guy wearing one of the boredofstudies shirt with the address and fatmuscle on it.... i was just wondering, was it actually fatmuscle or is it a public shirt for anyone...

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
Originally posted by ZeGoat
on the topic of fatmuscle, i was looking through the uts courses book thingo, and dere was this guy wearing one of the boredofstudies shirt with the address and fatmuscle on it.... i was just wondering, was it actually fatmuscle or is it a public shirt for anyone...
i'm guessing it's fatmuscle. you see, they used to have those shirts and the users could put any name they wanted on the back, most put their username, i can't see anyone else putting fatmuscle on it

HSC
www.spymac.com has the 1gb storage space similar to gmail, and as far as I know the file size limit is 10mb at this stage (I forget what they blamed, mysql limitations or something? They're looking to increase it).

What I found impressive about this is that they don't have the targetted advertising clause that gmail do. The word spy being in the title suggest otherwise, but so far so good :)

(In case the mac didn't give it away, the site is an apple propaganda centre, but it's tolerable, and in terms of users there's a fair mix from other systems).

On top of this they also offer 300mb or so web storage space, a personal photo gallery, blog facility and some other goodies. I haven't really investigated these yet as they don't interest me, but I'm assured by others who have that they're first rate.

Oh, also important, it's completely free ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)