The best games from last generation: PS2, GC, XBOX (1 Viewer)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
With the XBOX and Gamecube long since dead and the PS2 starting to be pushed aside for the PS3, it's fair to say that these consoles have taken a backseat to their more powerful, innovative predecessors. So, what consoles from these three did you own, and what were your favourite games on them? Guess you could count the Dreamcast too.

I've got an XBOX, if only for it's homebrew support and it's media centre. Though I have borrowed and played games from all three. Probably will pick up a PS2 later on.

I’ll add more games when they come to me

Ninja Gaiden BLACK (XBOX)
Now my favourite XBOX game and what I consider to be the best game from last generation. The graphics are just unreal, got the look of next-gen all over it. The concept of the way of the ninja is present throughout, and the art direction and gameplay adheres to that flawlessly. If you lose concentration for a blip in the heat of battle, you'll have a couple of swords stuck into you and be dead flat on the floor. The amount of control you get over the character makes the game run so smooth and fluently. Use an enemies head as a platform to jump higher, and stick a few shurikens in him on the way up. An absolute marvel to watch and play.

If Ninja Gaiden Sigma is a PS3 exclusive I won't be too happy.

Jet Set Radio Future (XBOX)
Had a lot to live up to, taking into account what a breath of fresh air the first one on the Dreamcast was. The gameplay was refined to better the playing experience, though the soundtrack, art direction and physics reaffirm the player that this is Jet Set Radio, through and through. Multiplayer was a nice touch, too.

Halo series (XBOX)
Ahh yes, haters be damn well damned. Kicked the XBOX into motion, and has had an enormous influence on FPS games and online console gaming in general. Graphics were nice, too.

Panzer Dragoon ORTA (XBOX)
Very much an overlooked game. Reaffirms my confidence in the rail-shooter genre. Just fantastic, addictive and very flexible gameplay.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (XBOX, PS2, PC)
Working on improving the GTA series in the 3D realm, in a reaal big way. Though bigger doesn't always mean better. The game's much too damn big for it's own good in my honest opinion, and was pumped full of these boring, sometimes frustrating minigames and modes of transport. Flying planes, for one. That aside, the game really shines because of it's attitude - it's characters, (which could've used some development but meh) and soundtrack along with a few gameplay additions that did work, it makes it my favourite 3D GTA.

Hilarious:
"I need that shit you drivin'!"
"Don't take it personal, but you gettin' jacked"
"Aww you asshole, mah shit!"
"This' gon be eaazzzee, bitch!!"
"Gimme that paper!!"

Psychonauts (XBOX, PS2)
Although I'm all but impervious to enjoying most things with a Disney-Pixar kind of feel, looking past that and appreciating the sheer innovation that this game puts forward is very much unavoidable. On a pure gaming level, as a platformer, it is very much solid, rewarding hard work by collecting every last figment or card. Entering the minds of the various mad mental types you encounter offer such beautiful and really off-the-wall stages, something I really appreciate. One of the most inventive games I've played, definitely will squeeze upon the top 15 games I've played ever and second best this generation has to offer, behind Ninja Gaiden

Shadow of the Colossus (PS2)
Never had the chance to finish the game, but I consider this game to be a huge step in the right direction for video games altogether. The experience is just amazing. Nothing but yourself and your horse, and a handful of colossi to tackle. Hopefully game developers will pick up on this, open up their minds and so forth and create something so subtle and beautiful. SotC proves that gaming nowadays doesn’t have to be about beating the other guy, or getting the most points. Absolutely majestic.

Marvel VS Capcom 2 (DC, XBOX, PS2)
A port of the final game of the Marvel vs Capcom crossover series, it just had all the elements of what everyone hoped the VS series would culminate to. Unbalance between characters aside, the most fun you could have with a 2D fighter (or any other kind of fighter for that matter) ever. Shame about the lame soundtrack, though. And non-related backround stages. Here's to hoping Capcom get their hands on the Marvel license again, at least one more time.

Rez (PS2, DC)
Ahh right, a port of one of my favourite games of all time, in glorious 60fps, and with a few extra features and that nagging bitch from Space Channel 5 thrown in for good measure. Why not?

Ikaruga (DC)
Beautiful game, down to the last detail. The score is grand. Fantastic points and grading system and the pursuit for pinpoint perfection will keep me comming back to this game again and again. The pinnacle of airplane top-down shooters.

Powerstone 2 (DC)
(a compilation of PS and PS2 has been released on the PSP, sensibly titled Power Stone Collection)

Really is a lot of fun with 4 players. Insane amount of items to be found and used. Still waiting for a sequel.

Mario Kart: Double Dash!! (GC)
Fresh new gameplay installments for the Mario Kart series. The addition of the second character was no gimmick, added some real tight gameplay adjustments which in my opinion payed off well. I’m a terrible snaker but I do really like the boost of the turns.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (GC)
Took the innovative yet highly flawed fighter that was it's former and improved on it tenfold.

Beyond Good and Evil (XBOX, PS2, GC)
Thrown into the bargain bin after a few months after it’s release, all because of it’s “kiddy” appeal. This game boasts such a light hearted storyline, and the unique gameplay additions such as taking photos of beasts for dosh, and getting fined by the police for shooting a ferry in the harbour just make it a game brimming with a special, warm individuality that sets it apart from other games of the same genre.

Games I still need to play:
Oddworld Series (XBOX)
Katamari series (PS2)
Pikmin series (GC)
Paper Mario series (GC)
Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence (PS2)
Soul Calibur III (PS2)
Okami (PS2)
Metroid Prime (GC)
Killer 7 (PS2, GC)
The Legend of Zelda – Windwaker (GC)
Eternal Darkness – Sanity’s Requiem (GC)
Resident Evil 4 (PS2, GC, PC) (I know, I know…:()
ICO (PS2)

Last edited:

Legham

HSC
Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Vice City and 3 (ps2)

cbf writing shit about them, the majority of people probably know of them anyway :) Best games ever.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
Zelda: Windwaker, Metroid, Final Fantasy X, Tales Of Symphonia, Metal Gear Solid 2, Burnout 3: Takedown, Jak and Daxter (the first one), Devil May Cry (first one).

Thats all I can think of off the top of my head.

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
oh oh! yes i forgot about God Of War!

I would probably also put GTA3 down (IMO the others didn't really have that same 'shit cool!!' factor at GTA3 did though).

watkinzez

HSC
Sucks about you not being able to find Psychonauts- there's about three copies at my local JB. Been there for a year and nobody wants them. :(

I've managed to get my hands on all three consoles.

Beyond Good and Evil- for being so undeniably awesome and changing the way I view games. My favourite of all time. <3 Michel Ancel.

Psychonauts- screw Nintendo as being the king of 'innovation'; this game is so clever every step of the way. Everything in someone's mind means something, tells something about the character. Not to mention awesome voice work and Tim Schafer's consistently brilliant characters and script.

Skies of Arcadia- I played this on the Cube, but it still counts since the Dreamcast is of the same generation dammit. Best RPG I've ever played, hands down. Nothing has done adventure better.

Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door- The best game Nintendo released this generation. The script just makes this; I don't think I've laughed more at a text only game. Reservoirs of love and charm- brilliant.

ICO- Why play through 50 hour RPG fluff when you can get tenfold the tale in a tenth of the time? Captivating. Endearing. Emotionally stirring. Short, but oh so sweet.

Shadow of the Colossus- An excellent follow up for Ueda's work. The sense of power and scale is, impressive. Kō Ōtani's sweeping score is one of the best.

Shenmue II- Now this is great storytelling. A great mix of action and drama, and possibly one of the best uses of multiple genres ever made. The Yellow Head Building is probably the best game experience I have ever played.

Resident Evil 4- There is, like, no filler in this game? I'm still trying to grapple with how they made so many different ideas fit into one game design.

Other games that deserve the highest praise:
Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time
Peter Jackson's King Kong
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
Pikmin 2
Super Smash Bros. Melee
Rome: Total War

Games which I have, probably will love but haven't yet played (hit me):
Killer 7
Silent Hill Collection
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Games that I should probably track down:
Shenmue
Rez
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

s-p-a-c-e-d

HSC
In terms of originality, fun ad just being damn addictive these were my favourite games (I never got an X-Box though so nothing from that for me):

• Katamari Damacy (my #1 best game on PS2)
  • Frequency/Amplitude (competing for scores with the Americans on freq.com was fun, too bad only one person I knew played them here though >_>)
  • Gitaroo Man (I ran around the house screaming when I finally beat this level - http://youtube.com/watch?v=5tHmJwM6bc0
These three are probably my favourites overall just because I'd never played anything like them ever before.

And other ones which I loved:

• Project Zero
  • Space Channel 5
  • Super Smash Brothers: Melee
  • Rez
  • Pikmin
And I still really want to play:

• Eternal Darkness
  • Shadow of the Colossus (should have already played it considering I got ICO probably a month of so after it was released)

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
watkinzez said:
Sucks about you not being able to find Psychonauts- there's about three copies at my local JB. Been there for a year and nobody wants them. :(
Nope, found it yesterday for 30 bones! Will play it later, haven't touched it yet. Good list, btw :cool:
Skies of Arcadia- I played this on the Cube, but it still counts since the Dreamcast is of the same generation dammit. Best RPG I've ever played, hands down. Nothing has done adventure better.
I played the DC version for a bit but the random encounters became too much. Fair call though, I'll add some DC titles to my list.
Other games that deserve the highest praise:
Peter Jackson's King Kong
serious?:lol: I played the 360 port, or are they different? It was just the Kong wailing on some dinosaur, pretty unexciting stuff I reckon.

watkinzez

HSC
Especially at the price you can find it now, King Kong is a hell of a trip. The encounters with the T-Rexes are intense. It might be short, linear and simple, but when it's done this well, it doesn't matter. The first person sections are easily the better parts of the game, though.

The amount of random battles in Skies were reduced for the Cube version, of which I am very thankful.

iwannarock

HSC
can't believe you left the dreamcast out of this.

the dreamcast was the best system of the last generation.

there i said it.

it was perfect.

just had total lack of support and advertising especially in australia and europe.

powerstone 2 was awesome.

dc + powerstone 2 + 4 controllers + 4 people equals = one of the best games ever.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
iwannarock said:
can't believe you left the dreamcast out of this.

the dreamcast was the best system of the last generation.

there i said it.

it was perfect.

just had total lack of support and advertising especially in australia and europe.

powerstone 2 was awesome.

dc + powerstone 2 + 4 controllers + 4 people equals = one of the best games ever.
Stop moaning and make a list you tit :p

Didn't think the Dreamcast would get much notice 'round here but right o then, let's see some Dreamcast games on these lists. But yes, the Dreamcast is by far my favourite "last-gen" console.

iwannarock

HSC
runtlocks said:
Stop moaning and make a list you tit :p

Didn't think the Dreamcast would get much notice 'round here but right o then, let's see some Dreamcast games on these lists. But yes, the Dreamcast is by far my favourite "last-gen" console.
dreamcast came out in november 1999.

i know because i got a jap a few days after it was released.

when did the ps2 come out?

dc was still competing with that.

and lists take up too much effort.

i'll just make up one for dreamcast for now.

powerstone
powerstone 2
pen pen tri icelon
sega rally 2 (playing on jap servers was the first time i had played online on a console.........twas awesome)
nfl2k series segas service was free........so we used to verse each other......4 people at one house and 4 people at another. good games.
nba 2kseries
shenmue
soul calibur 2 (the graphics on this are still amazing when you look back at it)
fire pro wrestling D (best wrestling game ever)
touken retsuden 4 (best wrestling game ever.........yes cant they both have the title)

thats all i can remember for now.

runtlocks

the diff'rence
HSC
The DC came out worldwide on 9/9/99, how cool is that??

PS2 was out in 2000, I believe. The DC didn't live very long though, I'm afraid :( I think the last DC game licensed by Sega was out in 2003. Though some companies are still releasing games for the DC to this day, most of them are just ports of arcade shooters.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
PS2

Final Fantasy 10
Grand Turismo concept + 4

Gamecube

Super mario sunshine
Super mario smash bros
Soul Calibur 2

w2dot

HSC
PC/PS2

Grand Theft Auto, Grand Theft Auto 2, Grand Theft Auto III, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas, Grand Theft Auto: Liberty City Stories, Grand Theft Auto: Vice City Stories

GC

Super Smash Brothers Melee

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)