The Best Universities For Journalism Are... (1 Viewer)

Melikins

HSC
Hello friendly people of boredofstudies...

I was wondering what great Universities, offering Journalism, or some form of communications, are present in NSW...

As a high school student from a country town I don't really get exposed to Universities, so any information would be helpful, especially from those at those Universities...or that have been to open days etc etc etc...actually, ANY info would be spiffy...

Danke...

chilena4life

HSC
Charles Sturt University - Bathurst
University of Technology Sydney - Sydney
Macleay College (degree/diploma course that lasts 2 years) - Sydney

That's all I know of really...
hope that info is in someway useful to you

*rUsTy*

HSC
Yeah, I'd agree with those 3 actually.

Each have their pro's and con's but are probably the ones to aim for.

HSC
usyd has the highest uai cut off for media communications and journalism (its something like 98, 97) which indicates that its popular thus in this aspect it is 'the best' but i heard UTS is pretty good too, and they have better particals and technology so.. yeah

spence

HSC
I'm pretty sure it's fairly well accepted that CSU's is the best, followed by UTS. Not sure about UOW, but apparently USyd really isn't good for journo. A higher UAI does not mean a course is better

Last edited:
HSC
Yes, but I said it has the highest UAI cut-off and that makes it look like the best.

I've also heard good things about CSU, but they look for things more than the UAI

ASNSWR127

HSC
Hello2U2 said:
Yes, but I said it has the highest UAI cut-off and that makes it look like the best.

I've also heard good things about CSU, but they look for things more than the UAI
Like being a rural student which would be good for the poster I think...

Dan2008

HSC
I'm wondering what "The Best Universities For Journalism Are..." too!

I've narrowed my wishlist to UTS, CSU and USyd (Media and Communications)

What do you think about these courses? What are the good or bad aspects of them?

Last edited:

bonnie04

HSC
I've heard usyd isn't that great at all for media/comm.

I'm at UTS - just finished 2 years of a 5 year journalism/law degree. I'm not saying I've heard bad things about the usyd degree because I'm from UTS. This is just what I've heard, and I've heard it a lot.

One of my really close friends transferred up from journalism at UOW (wollongong) at the beginning of 08. She completed one year at UOW, and has now completed a year at UTS. She didn't really like it at UOW and said she didn't really learn much at all about journalism. She finds UTS a lot more useful.

I hated journalism when I first started (but that came down to having a horrible tutor who was there for her first semester). That ended up being her last semester because the whole class complained. Apart from that one setback, journo at UTS is great. The faculty has a great reputation, and extensive links with the industry.

There's a specific lecturer who takes journalism students in their first year, for their second semester. I'm not going to name anyone here, but if you go to UTS you will know her. She is fantastic, and really motivates all students. She gives everyone a good push, so you feel equipped and ready from the very beginning.

You get a good grounding in general, re: commuications and media in your first year. There are the introductory journalism subjects in the first year too, and then you get a taste to choose which electives you want to do, which cover all forms of media. There is online, print, radio, tv, editing/publishing, and several others.

In this sense, you get a taste of everything, and get a chance to feel around and see which medium you enjoy the most.

Also, because the faculty has great links with the industry, there are several placements and opportunities that are sent around to students for work experience, internships, cadetships, and paid jobs.

I'm currently at The Australian (and getting paid for it), doing an internship at Cleo Magazine, and am a commissioned (paid) writer for a youth writing website. All of these I got through the uni. I have friends from my degree working at the ABC, SBS, Ninemsn, Channel 9, and many others.

The uni also has a great student magazine/paper that has an editorial team each year who run, publish, and edit it. This is usually run by a combination of communications students. (UTS has 6 or so communication degrees, of which Journalism is one. There's social inquiry, writing & cultural studies, public communications, and others). This also gives the editorial team fantastic experience. All students are welcome to submit articles for publication too - so you get your name in print and can add it to your portfolio.

There's also the radio station run in the tower (main building). It is co-run by Macq uni and UTS uni. It's called 2SER. Those interested in radio journalism get invaluable experience by volunteering at the radio station.

Hopefully this gives a rundown on journalism at UTS. You may think it's one sided, but I can only give my perspective as someone who is doing the degree there.

I find it's great as a practical, creative, hands on degree, and goes nicely against my entirely theory based law degree. You can also do journalism with International Studies. Quite a few of my friends are doing this too, and find they enjoy it a lot.

Oh, also, there are some great exchange programs/internships with overseas universities which have great journalism programs. Some students can apply for this. There are also lots of great opportunities sent around for those interested in sports journalism/writing.

As for someone who mentioned UAI's, there's not much difference between usyd and UTS. UTS journo is around 95, and Journo/Law ranges between 97 and 98.5.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

skynet89

HSC
bonnie04 said:
There's a specific lecturer who takes journalism students in their first year, for their second semester. I'm not going to name anyone here, but if you go to UTS you will know her. She is fantastic, and really motivates all students. She gives everyone a good push, so you feel equipped and ready from the very beginning.
Jenna Price :D?

icecoffee

HSC
Hello2U2 said:
usyd has the highest uai cut off for media communications and journalism (its something like 98, 97) which indicates that its popular thus in this aspect it is 'the best' but i heard UTS is pretty good too, and they have better particals and technology so.. yeah
Just out of curiosity, what do the practicals include? What are they like?

skynet89

HSC
icecoffee said:
Just out of curiosity, what do the practicals include? What are they like?
i've done one year. it's very practical based, you hardly need to read/study (only for the other subjects, you can even wing those assessments). the hard bit is going out and getting stories right from the get go. the teacher will help you get ideas of course and how you can improve your story but it's generally how committed you are to going out talking to people/making calls. In saying that though, of course they want you to do well so even if you think your story is shit they will take into account that you are first years and it's not that easy going out there and getting top stories.

the good thing about uts is that you can be thrown into the workforce tomorrow and you'd have a clue on what to do and where to get information. whereas if you just did the theory and no practical it would be very hard to apply.

maz5

HSC
bonnie04 said:
I've heard usyd isn't that great at all for media/comm.

I'm at UTS - just finished 2 years of a 5 year journalism/law degree. I'm not saying I've heard bad things about the usyd degree because I'm from UTS. This is just what I've heard, and I've heard it a lot.

One of my really close friends transferred up from journalism at UOW (wollongong) at the beginning of 08. She completed one year at UOW, and has now completed a year at UTS. She didn't really like it at UOW and said she didn't really learn much at all about journalism. She finds UTS a lot more useful.

I hated journalism when I first started (but that came down to having a horrible tutor who was there for her first semester). That ended up being her last semester because the whole class complained. Apart from that one setback, journo at UTS is great. The faculty has a great reputation, and extensive links with the industry.

You get a good grounding in general, re: commuications and media in your first year. There are the introductory journalism subjects in the first year too, and then you get a taste to choose which electives you want to do, which cover all forms of media. There is online, print, radio, tv, editing/publishing, and several others.

In this sense, you get a taste of everything, and get a chance to feel around and see which medium you enjoy the most.

Also, because the faculty has great links with the industry, there are several placements and opportunities that are sent around to students for work experience, internships, cadetships, and paid jobs.

I'm currently at The Australian (and getting paid for it), doing an internship at Cleo Magazine, and am a commissioned (paid) writer for a youth writing website. All of these I got through the uni. I have friends from my degree working at the ABC, SBS, Ninemsn, Channel 9, and many others.

The uni also has a great student magazine/paper that has an editorial team each year who run, publish, and edit it. This is usually run by a combination of communications students. (UTS has 6 or so communication degrees, of which Journalism is one. There's social inquiry, writing & cultural studies, public communications, and others). This also gives the editorial team fantastic experience. All students are welcome to submit articles for publication too - so you get your name in print and can add it to your portfolio.

There's also the radio station run in the tower (main building). It is co-run by Macq uni and UTS uni. It's called 2SER. Those interested in radio journalism get invaluable experience by volunteering at the radio station.

Hopefully this gives a rundown on journalism at UTS. You may think it's one sided, but I can only give my perspective as someone who is doing the degree there.

I find it's great as a practical, creative, hands on degree, and goes nicely against my entirely theory based law degree. You can also do journalism with International Studies. Quite a few of my friends are doing this too, and find they enjoy it a lot.

Oh, also, there are some great exchange programs/internships with overseas universities which have great journalism programs. Some students can apply for this. There are also lots of great opportunities sent around for those interested in sports journalism/writing.

As for someone who mentioned UAI's, there's not much difference between usyd and UTS. UTS journo is around 95, and Journo/Law ranges between 97 and 98.5.

Hope this helps.
That was a really helpful and insightful spiel, thanks for that.

I'm in an interesting predicament at the moment as I don't know what is the best decision to make.

I know I am going to study journalism. I got 95.2 UAI. I have a USYD Merit Scholarship for the Arts Faculty(6000 p.a) and a 5000 p.a UWS scholarship(a further 10000 p.a scholarship is in the works as well) however I am not sure whether to go to Sydney, UTS or UWS.

I'd love USYD campus life because I will get involved in all the creative arts- particularly musical theatre. However, I have heard that UTS is much more practical, and you also get your degree a whole year earlier.

Any advice?

bonnie04

HSC
skynet89 said:
Jenna Price :D?
hahaha :p is it that obvious?

maz5 said:
That was a really helpful and insightful spiel, thanks for that.

I'm in an interesting predicament at the moment as I don't know what is the best decision to make.

I know I am going to study journalism. I got 95.2 UAI. I have a USYD Merit Scholarship for the Arts Faculty(6000 p.a) and a 5000 p.a UWS scholarship(a further 10000 p.a scholarship is in the works as well) however I am not sure whether to go to Sydney, UTS or UWS.

I'd love USYD campus life because I will get involved in all the creative arts- particularly musical theatre. However, I have heard that UTS is much more practical, and you also get your degree a whole year earlier.

Any advice?
scholarships are great, and university can get verrry expensive, so it's a tough one for you. if you're going to take a scholarship, take it at usyd, and not uws.

csu also has a great reputation for journo (quite a trekk though if you're based in sydney).

if you're in sydney, i'd entirely recommend uts. i know the whole clubs and society thing seems important (i'm a big music person and was sorely disappointed by the music society at uts) howeverrrrr, i'd say you should base it more on the degree as opposed to things like clubs/societies. music theatre, you can always pursue that in different ways, and find other ways to get your kicks. you know? once you're in a degree/uni, it's too much of a hassle to move out. inter-uni transfers are much easier, as opposed transferring to a diff uni.

journo is tough, because it can be a little confronting as a degree, especially in your first year to just come out of high school and find yourself having to find story ideas, interview people, and learn things like style and structure. they teach you how to really cut back the crap and write well succinctly. i find that it has actually made me a much better writer in my law degree.

the thing is, they force you to grow up - they toughen you up. it's hard to teach this and learn this from a lecture theatre. there are no lectures for "journalism" subjects. they are all seminars/tutorials. you only have lectures for other subjects like media law and so on that require actual lectures, notes and textbooks. for the actual journo subjects like print, tv, and so on, they teach you how to use all the material/facilities in small classes. you get so much more out of this than learning all the theory in a lecture hall.

also - uts already has established relationships with the abc (conveniently across the road) so there are abc cadetships and internships that are run every year, as well as established tv placements with sbs, abc, 7, 9 and 10. there are also regular internships running with ninemsn, crikey (in melbourne) and several others. not to mention the MASS amounts of other internships, work experience, and paid work opps that are sent to uts lecturers, who then forward every single email on to uts students. there are some great established relationships with overseas unis for journo scholarships and journo exchange.

p.s; they're all former journalists or current journalists. one of the news tutors writes for the SMH extensively, and so on. this is just one example because i don't have time to rattle everything off. i guess you see my point though - great lecturers, great contacts, great opportunities, and they teach you things that you can't learn from theory.

one of the first years about 2 years ago had his story published on the front page of the australian. a few of my fellow students have had articles published on the front page of the SMH, and a few on the SMH website and other pages within the SMH. uts has this culture of toughening you up in your degree right from the very beginning.

also, the journalism kids are all really supportive of each other. when people see opportunities, they also pass it on to all the other journo students. journo is competitive, sure, but the journo culture is great at the uni.

even the most passive of people find themselves really confident by the end of the first year. you can't learn confidence from a textbook.

so i'd say uts if you're going for a sydney based uni, despite the scholarships.

Last edited:

maz5

HSC
bonnie04 said:
hahaha :p is it that obvious?

scholarships are great, and university can get verrry expensive, so it's a tough one for you. if you're going to take a scholarship, take it at usyd, and not uws.

csu also has a great reputation for journo (quite a trekk though if you're based in sydney).

if you're in sydney, i'd entirely recommend uts. i know the whole clubs and society thing seems important (i'm a big music person and was sorely disappointed by the music society at uts) howeverrrrr, i'd say you should base it more on the degree as opposed to things like clubs/societies. music theatre, you can always pursue that in different ways, and find other ways to get your kicks. you know? once you're in a degree/uni, it's too much of a hassle to move out. inter-uni transfers are much easier, as opposed transferring to a diff uni.

journo is tough, because it can be a little confronting as a degree, especially in your first year to just come out of high school and find yourself having to find story ideas, interview people, and learn things like style and structure. they teach you how to really cut back the crap and write well succinctly. i find that it has actually made me a much better writer in my law degree.

the thing is, they force you to grow up - they toughen you up. it's hard to teach this and learn this from a lecture theatre. there are no lectures for "journalism" subjects. they are all seminars/tutorials. you only have lectures for other subjects like media law and so on that require actual lectures, notes and textbooks. for the actual journo subjects like print, tv, and so on, they teach you how to use all the material/facilities in small classes. you get so much more out of this than learning all the theory in a lecture hall.

also - uts already has established relationships with the abc (conveniently across the road) so there are abc cadetships and internships that are run every year, as well as established tv placements with sbs, abc, 7, 9 and 10. there are also regular internships running with ninemsn, crikey (in melbourne) and several others. not to mention the MASS amounts of other internships, work experience, and paid work opps that are sent to uts lecturers, who then forward every single email on to uts students. there are some great established relationships with overseas unis for journo scholarships and journo exchange.

p.s; they're all former journalists or current journalists. one of the news tutors writes for the SMH extensively, and so on. this is just one example because i don't have time to rattle everything off. i guess you see my point though - great lecturers, great contacts, great opportunities, and they teach you things that you can't learn from theory.

one of the first years about 2 years ago had his story published on the front page of the australian. a few of my fellow students have had articles published on the front page of the SMH, and a few on the SMH website and other pages within the SMH. uts has this culture of toughening you up in your degree right from the very beginning.

also, the journalism kids are all really supportive of each other. when people see opportunities, they also pass it on to all the other journo students. journo is competitive, sure, but the journo culture is great at the uni.

even the most passive of people find themselves really confident by the end of the first year. you can't learn confidence from a textbook.

so i'd say uts if you're going for a sydney based uni, despite the scholarships.
Gah! The hardest thing is that I know everything you have said is just so right! For some reason though, I cannot bring myself to make the decision. You would think USYD would have contacts for internships as well though? Or could I independently seek them out?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)