The best way to practise q9 and 10? (1 Viewer)

gtcfanatic

HSC
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I could practise questions of the same difficulty as q9 and q10 in the HSC papers?

They are always the ones which challenge me in the past papers, and so i'm looking for a way to improve on that... the only way I can think of is by doing past papers (which i've already done, so i know the answers now, lol).

The trials don't seem to have as difficult questions as the HSC's q9 and q10? Or maybe that's just me?

jemsta

I sit here alone
HSC
SoulSearcher said:
Umm, I think you just have to do questions from a lot of different areas, try to get yourself some more past papers because they are the best source of these types of questions.
i concur
the only way to do well in questions 9 and 10 is to familiarise yourself as to what kinds of questions they put it....your only source is to complete past papers

gtcfanatic

HSC
yeah, the only problem is that there are only a few past papers, i want as much practice as possible... 6 HSC past papers isn't enough (I think it's 6 isn't it?)

So there isn't anywhere else I can get practice?

B35tY

HSC
Yes, and use trials of various high schools as well. There's heaps out there!

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you can't get your hands on other past papers, you could possibly try the last few questions in your textbook, they tend to be harder but probably won 't be as effective in preparation for doing Q9/10 type questions.

gtcfanatic

HSC
i've got excel books, but their questions are usually basic (i haven't looked at their practice exams though).

The trials of schools i've done seem to be kinda easy compared to the HSC papers for some reason...

I'll try doing the hard questions from my textbook maybe, but I agree, it won't be the same I don't think.

I'll just look at everything (trials, textbook questions, practice exams in excel) and hope that it prepares me as much as possible, lol. So far i'm working through the Excel Mathematics Workbook type thing, which is at least reminding me of how to do everything.

Thanks everyone!

P

pLuvia

I think most of the time the question 9s and 10s are circle geometry questions and maybe superannuation questions. So find some hard questions from these topics and practice them

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Get used to differentiate ugly looking functions (often using the quotient rule). Also, get used to finding max/min values of these ugly functions.

All the geometry laws should be stuck in your memory. Geometry questions in q10 often require laws many people either have forgotten or just dont realise apply.

dagwoman

Welcome to My Lair
HSC
N/A
Anyone else have any other tips? I'm pretty good at maths, but I find questions 9 and 10 crazy.

Riviet

HSC
N/A
dagwoman said:
Anyone else have any other tips? I'm pretty good at maths, but I find questions 9 and 10 crazy.
Have a go at them from past papers. Don't be scared, be confident (and creative, ie think outside the box).

acmilan

I'll stab ya
HSC
N/A
Hmm other than whats already been said, i honestly dont think theres a lot more to it. I mean once you get to the last question, you're looking at questions designed to separate the good students (those that can pull a few marks here and there) to the top ones who can answer pretty much all of it.

Just try pretty much anything you can think of, even if it seems unlikely that it'll solve anything. Theres almost always more than one way to solve a problem. Most importantly, dont waste your time on questions you cant answer without being sure you've done all the parts you can answer

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)