The Bible is America's favourite book (1 Viewer)

chicky_pie

POTATO HEAD ROXON
HSC
NEW YORK (Reuters Life!) - When it comes to literary pursuits in the United States most people agree on at least one thing -- the most popular book is the Bible, according to a new survey.

It came in first in a Harris Poll of nearly 2,513 adults but the second choice in the survey was not as clear cut. "While the Bible is number one among each of the different demographic groups, there is a large difference in the number two favorite book," Harris said in a statement announcing the results.

Men chose J.R.R. Tolkien's "The Lord of the Rings" and women selected Margaret Mitchell's "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book, according to the online poll.But the second choice for 18- to 31-year-olds was J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter series, while 32- to 43-year-olds named Stephen King's "The Stand" and Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons."

Picks for second-favorite book also varied according to region. "Gone With the Wind" was number two in the southern and midwestern United States while easterners chose "The Lord of the Rings" and westerners opted for "The Stand." Whites and Hispanics picked "Gone With the Wind" as their second-favorite book after the Bible, while African-Americans preferred "Angels and Demons."

"Finally, they may not agree on candidates, but one thing that brings together partisans is their favorite book. For Republicans, Democrats and Independents, the top two books are the same -- the Bible followed by "Gone With the Wind." Dan Brown's "The Da Vinci Code," "To Kill a Mockingbird" by Harper Lee, "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand and "Catcher in the Rye" by J.D. Salinger rounded out the top 10 favorite.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080408/lf_nm_life/reading_survey_dc

America love it's myths. :spam:

boris

Banned
HSC
I have an eyelash. It's in my eye. Scratching my eyeball.

Annoying indeed.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Pull your top eyelid over the bottom one and rub. It helps.

Gay Captain

HSC
boris said:
I have an eyelash. It's in my eye. Scratching my eyeball.

Annoying indeed.
Jesus said, "First remove the plank from your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck that is in your brother's eye." Luke 6:41-42 NKJV

Lord Hawthorn

HSC
So, you are saying the Bible is a collection of myths? Tales to scare children and the like?

It seems the Bible has become a taboo amongst so-called intellectuals. I see the attempt to trivialise it in such an indolent fashion as rather arrogant. I'd like to add the statement that the historical records contained within are remarkably accurate.

On the subject of myths: Darwinism is a cultural myth. Darwinism has the characteristics of a religion (Should I go as far as to say blind faith is a major characteristic of Darwinism?)

But it doesn't matter what I say, because ultimately each person will (ideally) make an informed decision for him/herself. My question is have you taken both sides into consideration? Or have we merely relied on others to tell you what to believe?

Need I mention that a true scientist teaches evolution as a theory? A fraudulent scientist preaches evolution as infallible dogma. A true scientist would say "take all things into consideration, let not bias cloud your judgement, thus precluding rationality and logic."

I'm not trying to start a debate here. Those get out of control on forums and usually result in juvenille name-calling. Reflect, chillout. Our world views aren't compatible. If I've offended in any way, I'll raise the white flag and say, "share the love."

P.s. With regards to Catcher in the Rye: I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. (GITS: SAC).

Cheerio,

Knivesleigh

HalcyonSky

HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
I'm not trying to start a debate here. Those get out of control on forums and usually result in juvenille name-calling. Reflect, chillout. Our world views aren't compatible. If I've offended in any way, I'll raise the white flag and say, "share the love."
if you weren't an absolute fucking idiot then i wouldnt feel the compulsion to resort to juvenile name calling.
And by the way, you're confusing a theory with a hypothesis. You're trying to tell me evolution is not a fully accepted idea in the scientific community? Please get a clue before you post meaningless flame invoking posts, and further cement the fact that there is not one christian who can argue and not make their beliefs look ridiculous.

Last edited:

boris

Banned
HSC
Trolls.
So many trolls.
So little time.

Gay Captain

HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
Need I mention that a true scientist teaches evolution as a theory? A fraudulent scientist preaches evolution as infallible dogma. A true scientist would say "take all things into consideration, let not bias cloud your judgement, thus precluding rationality and logic."
A true scientist or a true person who's done year 9 and understood it knows what a theory in science is you fucked up abortion of an attempt at a human being

HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
Evolution is a fact. The Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection is a theory that attempts to explain that fact.

Felix Jones

HSC
i heard on TV....promise not lying...that the most stolen Book in America is the Bible...HAHHAHAHAHAHHAH....LOL. :D :D:D:D

law

HSC
N/A
I love it how at the mention of religion people feel the need to trash and mock it. How about we look into the credibility of atheists having no beliefs and no sacred texts whatsoever.

How about their little "torch" theory.

Life: Torch goes on
Death: Torch goes out

WOW... that's believable - when you're on your death bed, your views will soon change. Happens all the time.

HSC
law said:
I love it how at the mention of religion people feel the need to trash and mock it. How about we look into the credibility of atheists having no beliefs and no sacred texts whatsoever.
Don't tar all atheists with the same brush, it's just as wrong as someone thinking all theists are stupid or ignorant.

WOW... that's believable - when you're on your death bed, your views will soon change. Happens all the time.
What is the theistic theory? Torch goes on -> Torch stays on forever? I don't see why that would be more "believable". And if the only motivator for belief in that is fear of mortality than it's not a belief worth having.

TacoTerrorist

HSC
if you weren't an absolute fucking idiot then i wouldnt feel the compulsion to resort to juvenile name calling.
And by the way, you're confusing a theory with a hypothesis. You're trying to tell me evolution is not a fully accepted idea in the scientific community? Please get a clue before you post meaningless flame invoking posts, and further cement the fact that there is not one christian who can argue and not make their beliefs look ridiculous.
/facepalm

Get a clue you fucking waste of space. Lord Hawthorn is far more intelligent than half you pseudo-intellectual 17yo atheist cocksuckers.

selablad

HSC
Lord Hawthorn said:
With regards to Catcher in the Rye: I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes. (GITS: SAC).
Haha. GITS is awesome. And that's all I'm going to say on this controversial subject...

Gay Captain

HSC
law said:

lol!

whatever will we do without sacred texts? :(

law

HSC
N/A
Atheists follow many religious ideals... they just don't know it!

Gay Captain

HSC
Or maybe religions co-opted many ideas and principles that humanity developed and could continue to follow without the supernatural elements?

Ockham's razor, like.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)