The Big Read (1 Viewer)

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
This was some sort of competition between a list of infamous books, I think it was in America, and people got to vote for the best one, but I found it interesting to see what people had and hadn't read and what people liked/didn't like. Here's the list:

1984, George Orwell

Birdsong, Sebastian Faulks

Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres

Catch 22, Joseph Heller

The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens

Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling

His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bront

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott

Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier

War and Peace, Leo Tolstoy

The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame

Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bront

Feel free to comment on the ones you read/haven't read or liked/didn't like at all.

truly-in-bliss

my love is like woah!
HSC
great list loz! :p

here are the ones i ahve read:

1984, George Orwell
i lyk all of orwell's books, i think arguabli this one, brave new world and animal farm are his most well known..... but anione read ani of his essays?? they are absoltueli brilliant!

luv the book... i thoguht it was a little heavy.. but great style... the movie is also good.. it features penelope cruz if my memori serves meeh right

not fond of victorian novels....thoguh dickens is betta than austen in terms of humanism and depth... but still not relaly on top of my fav list..

is it meeh or is the movie just betta than the film?

the whole series is not bad.... though i think it is a little overrated... i guess some parts were too *out there* for meeh....

hate it!! die jane eyre! hhahah i hate the passive female...... featurued in a lot of austen's novels as well as of that Regency and Victorian era..... all the Victorian romantic novels are sooo boring... remind meeh of Mills and Boons.. and i guess i look for relaism.. hence the *always do the right thing* heroine aint much of a turn on...

the book was alright... the movie is betta....

one of my fav books.... i have read this soo mani times....insightful characterisaiton and v real, and the issues are still relevant at this age..

blah.... dont lyk austen..

i luv tolstyo's stuff..... war and peace thoough v long and heavy at some parts is worth the time....its v real..much like all of tolstyo's stuff... .. basicalli for those who havent read it ..its set in moscow after napoleon's invasion...it reminds meeh a little of 1984....with the coldness and the realism... though i lyk anna karenina betta.... i might start a thread later.. all abt leo tolstoy... fascinating man..

Last edited:

SmokedSalmon

HSC
good idea Loz. anyway..

I found it a very compelling and interesting novel. The grammatical techniques made it feel like I was there, witnessing the entire story unfold before me. I actually wrote an extra ending to it, and since I thoroughly enjoyed reading the novel I got an A. :D ah school memories.
Btw, was it banned in america or something for a period of time? or was that just rumours?

I couldn't put the book down after I started reading it. Its just so... "bloody brilliant". Can't wait till they make a movie out of it.

Having read this book and the other 3 in the series. I must imply that I have hardly been interested in sci-fi novels before reading the book. Quite hilarious in some parts... loved Marvin the pathetic robot.

A very good book. Teaches you the importance of family and about how wrong racism is in the world. I would like to read it again one day. I liked the movie as well... so if anyone is too lazy to read the book, watch the film!

s2ophie

HSC
1984, George Orwell

I liked this book. But the ending totally shocked me!

Catch 22, Joseph Heller

This was great but very convoluted. I still don' understand the whole eggs thing but i think i should read this again!

This is good but not the best in the series. Prisoner of Azkaban is definately the best.

I can't really remember if i read this or not. I think I did ages ago but it didn't make me want to read the entire series.

Again can't remember if i read this. I might of but i remember seeeing the movie and crying in that!

I agree with SmokedSalmon 'a very good book.' was also ver handy when i had to do a justice area of study in yr 11!

Probably my fave book. I love reading the 61st chapter after i watch the series because it just has that little bit more than the series about what happened after they marry.

This was the first book i had to read for High School. Oh memories!!!

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bront
I read this for romanticism in year 11 and like it but didn't love it like all my classmates.

eveajac

since no-one else has mentioned them, i've read Philip Pullman's 'His Dark Materials' series (it's actually a trilogy - the first book has been released under two titles, Northern Lights and later The Golden Compass; the second book is The Subtle Knife; the third is the Amber Spyglass). I REALLY recommend these books...i'm not usually a reader of fantasy but they were absolutely wonderful.
Go out to the library and borrow them!

lazybum

HSC
N/A
Lord of the Rings-
got it at home looks so long and scary i don't think i'll read it!

To kill a mockingbird -
read it in yr 8 Great book

Rebecca -
one of my favourite books. however i took anothe r book by daphne de maurier and it sucked so be careful!

Harry Potter and Goblet of Fire -
i've read all of em' which one is this?!!!! all of rowlings books are great

timmii

sporadic attendee
1984, George Orwell - really enjoyed it, thought it was clever albeit slightly over hyped. Also really liked animal farm

Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres - read it before i'd heard of it (if that makes sense). The story sometimes got windy but i really loved the historical insight with regard to greece during WW2. It just was so interesting and beautiful to read about greece (more so than the lovestory, but hey that wasn't bad either). :p

Catch 22, Joseph Heller - started off and got really frustrated because i couldn't see the "point". Realised there wasn't meant to *be* a point and absolutely loved the rest of the book. Very funny but poignant at the same time! :D

The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger - Lovely tale of teen angst :D

Great Expectations, Charles Dickens - first time i read it, found it tedious and could *not* stand it. Second time, i was able to focus more on what dickens was saying bout society etc and really enjoyed it as I could pick the satire up a lot more rather than be loaded down by the convoluted language.

Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell - really liked it because i love sort of "learning" history from stories set in that time, tho i can understand why people would get bored.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling - I LOVE Harry potter, and this was my favourite - i couldn't put it down and it was just absolutely brilliant!!! It just developed the world so much more than the first and second and you also got to see a bit more of harry's personality apart from being the mysterious survivor of voldemort's curse...

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams - hehe sooo funny! Mentally, read it in a really wry english accent, classsic! :D

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bront - I found it overrated, but didn't mind it too much, it improved as the novel went on. Though, as with most victoriana, just got soooo frustrated with the submissive female *argh***

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis - I loved the narnia series, and this was probably one of the better ones :D

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott - I think this is a beautiful book. The first time i read it, i think i was too young to appreciate it and got a bit annoyed with all the token sentiments expressed and the "feminism" - or lack thereof. Then i read it again and just really got so enthralled by the book, but i definitely understand its not for everyone! :D

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee - brilliant, absolutely brilliant :D

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (have only seen the miniseries :shy: - yay colin firth ;))

The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame - darker than i thought it would be, still rather good :)

Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne - cute

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bront - overrated. I battled through this one, failed to empathise with any character and just *ugh* so dreadful.

Last edited:

Loz#1

"03'er"
HSC
I haven't read this, but I have seen the movie and it was quite interesting, so i'm going to have to borrow it.

I loved this! Scarlett O'Hara is one of those characters you just love to hate and Vivian Leigh's portrayal of her in the movie was just brillant.

I read, I didn't like. Victorian related novel's are NOT my go.

Loved the movies, can't wait to read the books when I get them for Xmas.
I loved this book. I loved studying it, reading it and watching the film.

It's Winnie! How can you not love Winnie?

Hmmm, I have alot of reading to do.

rusty_rouge

HSC
Our teacher made us read this one - quite beautiful, but a little depressing, too.

Great book - The best in this series. Interesting, lively and FUNNY

If you're into fantasy, like me, you'll love this series. Great characterisation - you either love 'em or you hate 'em!

Great book, especially for kids, but I still enjoy reading it. Whatever you do, don't watch the BBC series based on it, though - REALLY bad.

Fantastic - very rish and heart-warming....Makes me cry more than once!

Need anything be said, at all? The most brilliant epic, in my opinion, ever written, and although the movies are fanatstic, the books are even better!

I liked this book - it's different to most of its like, and it makes you think about the whole way you perceive the world.

I love Austen - and Mr. Darcy - and this is one of her best. Only book I've ever read that is witty, yet the characters (especially Lydia) make you want to cringe.

Most of these books are at the top of my 'favourites' list, so I guess whoever compiled it must have had good taste. ;)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
1984, George Orwell
A really great if truly depressing read. Interesting insights into Orwells politics in a more complex manner than Animal Farm. Routinely mis-interpreted to make a point about communism.

Movie was great havn't read the book.

Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Studied it for satire in extension english. Had me laughing from the beginning. On the other hand it was also emotionally stirring at the other end of the spectrum eg sadness.

Turns out that Vivien Leigh female lead in the film is a relative, havn't read or seen it though.

Heard good things.

Well done but too much overt christian imagery/symbolism and themes.

Epic in scope and size. Possibly the greatest fantasy book written.

A slow buod up I did nt at first appreciate, a touching book nonetheless.

Not a huge fan - maybe when I was younger.

Notable if only for the polite use of the word pooh. Alright kiddies book as well.

~Smurfette~

Milky Way, Planet Earth...this is all I am sure of
HSC
1984, George Orwell
Top 5 favourite books - the ending was melancholic *waaaaaahhhh* but very compelling. In fact...I cant think of a better way to end it. Although, if I had to rename it: Two Guys, A Girl and A Dystopian Landscape

Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Best book ever...one of them anyway. Yossarian is my hero and I will marry him one day. The eccentricity endorsed by Heller is so wonderfully random it totally ensnared me. If you havent read this, you automatically go -600 points down on the koolkat meter...Yes, I'm cruel and racist. I apologize for my existence.

Good read, sums up 15 yr old life in a nutshell. Holden Caulfield's belligerent coolness is probably the only thing that kept the novel alive.

Harry Potter is overrated. Not brilliant, just overrated. I read it because its addictive. Also, decidedly the third book is better than this one.

When there's nothing left, its time for lunch at the restaurant at the end of the world. Amen. This is evidently the best novel ever written. If you dont wet yoruself laughing, oh you prude. I will also marry Marvin.

When I was a fanatical fantasy fan, this was my bible. Still a good book in terms of the plot, a bit long though you can manage to skim through most of the uninteresting stuff. The prequel, 'the hobbit' is awesome though, a quick light read that turns out to be a satiable adventure.

We did this in yr9 and it was probably the only good thing we read in jr school. Very good book, loved how it was presented through the eyes of a child. It makes everything so much more darker in a sardonic way. See: 'whore-lady' lol

Austen is irritating to get into, preferred the movie (oh Collin Firth)

jennylim

HSC
truly-in-bliss said:

is it meeh or is the movie just betta than the film?

hate it!! die jane eyre! hhahah i hate the passive female...... featurued in a lot of austen's novels as well as of that Regency and Victorian era..... all the Victorian romantic novels are sooo boring... remind meeh of Mills and Boons.. and i guess i look for relaism.. hence the *always do the right thing* heroine aint much of a turn on...
two problems. the movie can't be better than the film.

secondly, jane eyre is absolutely not a passive female. if you have that impression, you can't have been reading it properly (allowing for context, obviously). she's outspoken, brave and highly principled - sticking up to mr brocklehurst and mr rochester. she is realistic, all right. it's a bit of a boring read but she is not a "always do the right thing" girl - she seriously considers the possibility of being rochester's mistress, as well as confronting him about judging her on her wealth and appearance - something Victorian women and especially governesses did not do.

haha...i'm doing jane as a related text for 3u eng (i&s) so could probably rant on longer about jane as an individual....nm.

as for the list, it is very good. i've read it all except birdsong, catch-22 and war and peace - which i intend on reading after hsc...but yes, i LOVE most of those books.

walrusbear

HSC
truly-in-bliss said:

here are the ones i ahve read:

1984, George Orwell
i lyk all of orwell's books, i think arguabli this one, brave new world and animal farm are his most well known..... but anione read ani of his essays?? they are absoltueli brilliant!
that's by Huxley, not Orwell

Benny_

Elementary Penguin
HSC
truly-in-bliss said:
... .. basicalli for those who havent read it ..its set in moscow after napoleon's invasion...
I know it's a long read, but whatever possessed you to start a book 4/5 into it?

Smurfette said:
Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Best book ever...one of them anyway. Yossarian is my hero and I will marry him one day.
I'm not sure if someone as horny as Yossarian would be interested in marrying a little blue creature with no reproductive organs however :p

Last edited:
P

pLuvia

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling - best harry potter book in my opinion

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bront뼢r />
The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis - this one was good for the time i read it

Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien - read through to middle, but to much description

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee - forced to read by school, alright book

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen - hated it :p liked it for a day

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
Catch 22, Joseph Heller - brilliant, if a little confusing. i had to read it a couple of times to understand a lot of it. but that doesnt stop it being brilliant.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling - really really good...my favourite out of them all. i hope the movie does it justice.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis - havent read it since i was about 12, but i remember loving it...must dust it off again someday.

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott - BLAH. hated it. the end.

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee - wonderful!!!

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen - kind of tedious, but it was good in places. personally though, i liked the miniseries adaptation thingy with colin firth and jennifer ehle a lot better.

Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne - another one that i havent read in ages...i dont think i liked it much however.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
s2ophie said:
Catch 22, Joseph Heller

This was great but very convoluted. I still don' understand the whole eggs thing but i think i should read this again!
I'm being pedantic, but it's to do with Milo ripping off Uncle Sam.

1984, George Orwell
Very dark and gloomy. There is absolutely no hope for the people in this world. The writing is fairly strong, and the main character is quite believable as someone who is trying to find meaning in this hopeless world.

Catch 22, Joseph Heller
Brilliant satire. Completely absurdist sense of humour, which does similar things as ^^. Yossarian is slightly unlikeable, but he managed to grow on me. The sheer irrationality of the novel is quite enjoyable.

Not the best in the series. The author seems to be inserting as much meaningless fluff as she can manage. The whole idea of a contest is rather clichéd as well. It's an enjoyable read, but I won't bother again.

Has the same vibe as Catch 22, but in a different direction. It's short, fast, and to the point. The humour bites hard on plenty of old sci-fi clichés as well. Terry Pratchett appears to have been influenced by his work, and that's saying something. However, I daresay that the second book is better.

Has a nice fantasy feel to it, but I find the childish prose too slow and uninteresting. I only read several early chapters, too.

The world of Middle-Earth is extremely descriptive, and is one of the most influential elements in fantasy fiction. The over-long descriptions are slightly annoying as well, but lends well into the olde English vibe. The pacing is an issue as well, with some sections feeling too slow. The novel can also be anti-climactic at times, and many characters appear one dimensional. The binary opposition (take that, English!) between Good and Evil is something I find distasteful and contrary to my philosophy. While it's enjoyable, it's nagged down by all these negative elements. I somehow found the text clichéd, but that is most likely due to having read generic fantasy fiction before LOTR.

Very nice book about racial prejudices in the south. It was pre-feminist, so it feels slightly strange in that respect. The characters are extremely likeable, and the writing from the perspective of Scout is competent. And there's alway's Atticus Finch, who is such a badass.

There are some books as well which I believe should qualify:
A Song of Ice and Fire - the first one, at least.
Dune - so many themes, so little time...
Watership Down - it's about rabbits. It's also extremely good as well.

Also, they need a spellcheck option on BoS. If the people on the literature board can not spell properly, who can?

jennylim

HSC
1984, George Orwell:
Have read it and loved it. So haunting, and so critical. Very interesting.

Captain Corelli's Mandolin, Louis de Bernieres:
Also read this one, and loved it - I enjoyed the relationship between Capt Corelli and Pelagia. Cried my eyes out near the end of the book, much to the amusement of the friends around me.

The Catcher in the Rye, JD Salinger:
Enjoyed the voice and the style of writing - especially liked the ironic distance between the character as he portrays himself and how the author portrayed him.

Gone with the Wind, Margaret Mitchell:
Hated Scarlett but I think you're supposed to, in a way. She was just a bit too opportunistic and selfish for my liking (Becky Sharp was like that, but somehow more endearing). Good read though, I really liked Rhett Butler.

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling:
One of my favourites!!! HUGE HP obsessive.

His Dark Materials, Philip Pullman:
Subtle Knife and Northern Lights were great, Amber Spyglass pissed me off. It wasn't just the rampant atheism, it was more the pathetically written battle and...flatness. Dunno, ended on a really low note for me.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams:
LOVE IT!!!!!

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte:
Enjoyed this one also.

The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis:
One of my childhood favourites!! The movie ROCKS. But what i really like is Lewis's dry style...so funny.

Little Women, Louisa May Alcott:
As above, a childhood favourite. Still love reading about Jo, and Beth dying makes me cry every time

Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien:
A classic...have read them all several times. What else to say?

To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee:
LOVE it!! Atticus's courtroom speech brings tears to my eyes. Makes me want to be a lawyer.

Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen:
Ooh Austen at her finest!! I very much LOVE reading about Lizzy and Darcy. Especially with a picture of Colin Firth in my head. Mmm.

Rebecca, Daphne du Maurier:
Creepy but good. Bit like Jane Eyre actually. Captivating read, with an interesting twist.

The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame:
Aww I love this one and have since Yr 3 when I read it.

Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne:
Cutest books EVER.

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bront�:
Creepy, especially Heathcliff's obsessiveness. When he digs her up..eeeww. But good nonetheless!

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
1984, George Orwell

I didn't actually finish reading this. I wouldn't say it was boring or anything but I was in the middle of HSC trials and it wasn't really the time to start and finish a book, thin as it is. I'll probably try to get back to it these holidays.

First time I read this, I just went "hmm he seems to like calling people sons of bitches...alot" lol. Pretty good book and I liked the ending and the references to his sister.

Right in the middle of this one!! Well, not in the middle. Just started yesterday. I bought it awhile ago and have just managed to get started. Pretty good so far but I have barely got to Miss Havisham's...so we'll see :D

Ooo like this book alottt. Except, the absence of quidditch annoys me. I've read it so many times, I forgot how I felt when I first read it but I think I thought it was pretty thrilling. Still a good read though not as funny as some other HP books.

Ehhh, gotta admit, I cried over this one. After hearing everyone go "You WILL cry, I swear!", I did :(. Such a good book and Laurie is so sweet. I don't like how Jo ended up though :mad:

One of my favourites til the day I die. I love Atticus. And Scout. And Jem. And Boo. And everyone. I am always in the mood to read this if I have a spare minute.

I watched the miniseries before I read the book. Actually, wait, I attempted to read the book (my first introduction to Austen) before we studied it for English Extension 1, but I found the language and rhythem pretty hard going. I had difficulty grasping the relations between the characters abit because I wasn't used to the language. Anyway, after watching the miniseries, I have it another shot and it was much more smooth flowing having already familiarised myself with the language through the miniseries. Luckily, Simon Langton often quotes Austen directly for the lines. I found myself laughing out loud. I didn't think I would ever get to the stage where I understood Austen's writing enough to actually laugh at the funny bits.

Basically, I love the book now and sometimes like it more than the miniseries. My fav Austen novel is "Sense and Sensibility" though :D :D
Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte

Had to study it for the HSC. I think it would take me awhile (maybe a few years) to get to this one if I didn't HAVE to read it. Even so, I really liked it. Some of the violence and graphic...stuff, freaked me out. Esp some of the fights. Even so, Heathcliff and and Kathy's pairing was so real and I had this strange mixed feeling for Heathcliff, between disgust and sadness

Last edited:

persephone

HSC
Bought it a year and a half ago but haven't read it yet

Prisoner of Azkaban is my favourite. But poor Cedric. I loved him in this.

I really want to read this. I've heard that they're going to make it into a movie. I want to read the series before it comes out. Heard good things about it.

This book is so cool. Has classic lines in it. Made me laugh. And I love Arthur.

Jane Eyre, Charlotte Bronte
Not the happy go lucky book I thought it would be. Very dark in places. I thought it was going to be like a Jane Austen novel. But I was wrong. It's good but just a bit darker than I thought it would be. Didn't like Mr Rochester that much though.

In the process of reading!

Tried to read them after the movies came out. No such luck. Didn't even get through the first one. It's just too huge. And the long passages of description and the songs aren't really my thing.

Read it in year 10 and is one of my favourite books ever. I just love Atticus. He has got to be one of the best characters in literature.

Wuthering Heights, Emily Bronte
Have this book in my collection but have yet to sit down and read it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)