The Big Sleep (1 Viewer)

Shiloh

HSC
I was wondering if anyone could possibly help me. I'm doing the The Big Sleep at school and I was wondering if anyone has done any notes/analysis on it already? Oh and I'm also looking for quotes. If anyone could help it would be heaps appreciated.:)

Jennibeans

HSC
i have a crime fiction study guide with a chapter on the big sleep. it lists the crimes, stuff bout marlowe, film techniques, film noir, involvement of responder,dialogue, setting, characters & crime fiction motifs. it has some quotes worked into the explanations in each area.
Obviously I don't have time to send it all to you but if you were after something specific ill have a look for you. sparknotes.com is also pretty good for background notes.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
as for quotes, i can't remember them exactly, but there was a quote about pulling the wings off flies which i remember our teacher pointed out (showing carmen is childish, when marlowe first talks to the father in the greenhouse)

the butler says something along the lines of making many mistakes, which is a misleading clue

you can pull something out of when marlowe and vivienne meet for the first time, to show their relationship, or to show marlowe was trustworthy

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Some quotes include;

It started out as a blackmail case, and all at once, things began to happen-Marlowe (Highlighting the web-like nature of the narrative, moving on from the initial blackmail to several crimes, red herrings, and other such complications.

So many guns in the world, and so few brains-Marlowe (Commenting on the criminal society depicted within TBS. Can be seen as referring to film noir as a whole, a social group unafraid to resort to violence rather than thinking out affairs.)

More quotes, and an useful summary/explanation can be found at;
http://www.filmsite.org/bigs.html.

olay

HSC
THANKYOU v. much........this site is a lifesaver. :D i understand the film!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
get a transcript of the film

and highlight all the important quotes

that aside, try my notes (this is like blatant advertising; but its all i can offer) LOL sometime next month (website down due to bandwith outage)

Serpentia

One thing my teacher said was to not get too worried if you don't understand the plot, the intricasies in the plot shows that this aspect of the film is not being valued as much as other things. Therefore don't try to remember all the plot, or try to understand it all - I don't and I don't plan to try either.

I don't think learning quotes is that important either, the whole thing with genre is that you need to learn to identify the conventions put into place, and anything new that has been added to the C.F. genre. Therefore try to pick out what conventions have been used. for example the characterisation of Marlowe is typical of that era - charming, cool, not quite always doing as the law says, blah blah blah. Another example, use of film noir - ie the shadows and such, to create a sense of confusion (which is another reason why the plot is so hard to understand).

These conventions reflect what the society at the time of composition were wanting.

Hmm....

Shiloh

HSC
Hey thanks. I never thought of thinking about it that way. The plot is VERY confusing...I think I've worked it all out. It is definately a typical film noir...

frodo

MAINTAIN THE RAGE
HSC
i don't think it is actually completely film noir because of the romantic relationship between Vivian and Marlowe. my english teacher said because of this it also comes under the lighter form of film noir which is film gris. meh genre is annoying but interesting because everything has conventions of more than one genre

Weisy

the evenstar
HSC
yeah, I'd agree with frodo. It's a romance disguised as a film noir.

Serpentia

but whether or not it is film noir is not incredibly important anyway...... yes it shapes the text.... but is not hugely important in view of the way it is being studied

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
i would see it more as a film noir, with romance thrown in to interest the audience.

olay

HSC
Originally posted by iambored
i would see it more as a film noir, with romance thrown in to interest the audience.
but film noir isn't a genre. its a style.

olay

HSC
psst which two versions of the film exist????? [i.e. what years??]

Last edited:

Gregor Samsa

That Guy
HSC
Although to complicate matters slightly, there is also the 1945 'Director's Cut' (HSC Text), first screened to US Army troops, which exhibits significant differences to the final version, as is apparent on the featurette following the film. (At least on the VHS version we saw.)

Generically, I think the romance element is very important to the film. This can be seen in The Big Sleep both beginning and ending with the romantic image of Bogart and Bacall together, the events of the crime happening in between. Funnily enough, The Big Sleep's screenwriter was William Faulkner.

Constip8edSkunk

Joga Bonito
HSC
yep... this was the main deviation from the original chandler novel. also they added alot of the extra romance, eg the horseracing dialogue, in the 1946 version to help market it... (in hope of riding on the bogard and bacalls real life romance). originally BOS only accepted the 1945 version, but ppl kept refering to the horseracing dialogue as an example of racy dialogues in hardboiled cf...so now BoS accepts both versions of the film

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)