• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The brainstorm thread! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Ok the basis of this thread is basically to post the requirement of your major project, plus any ideas you have may have of it, and the post above you, brainstorm idea's they could use to base their assignemnt on.
For example if the person above you has a free for all program, you can suggest a car game and go as specific as you like.

Requirements of major project:
You are a developer in a small software design company. In order to increase sales, management has decided to branch into Senior HSC educational
software.

As part of this new idrection, you have been given the task of identifying a concept (or concepts) associated with one of the NSW higher school certificate board
courses and developing a sample software program

The program is either to
- facilitate the teacher of this concept (a teachers resource) or
- provide a personal learning tool for an HSC student

Personal suggestions:
- quiz
- multiple choice
- short answer
- fill the blanks
- match definitions
- crossword

edit: for post below, you could set about 20 or so records of license details, then connect that db to vb6, if a certain event (ie. license is over 3 years old) has occured, and make a msgbox, or caption, or if you are really keen, write it to a file

not sure how you'll structure it when to indicate these events, maybe a variable holding the date, but im not sure as each date changes with each record, further help and ask away ill figure it out for you, but dont forget ladies, we brainstorm for eachother too! :p

edit2: just realised you cant use vb6! since i got nfi how to use the other languages, i think ill shut up now

Last edited:

AntiHyper

Revered Member
HSC
Major Project:
You're the developer for a new RTA centre so there's a system for customers to find the current status of their license including whether or not it has ever been suspended. As meny customers forget to sit for their next test or renew their license on time, the new system needs the program to report on overdue tests or license renewals, so the management can contact them and remind them 6 weeks prior and 2 days after.

You may only use Delphi, Pascal or Access.

My solution:
To build a program using Pascal (since i'm hopeless at access & delphi).
Using array records. (some more will be nested records)
The program would be very sequential but with many loops to prevent the user from entering invalid values.
Drink a couple of beer while doing the work.

HellVeN

Banned
HSC
Teacher hasn't given us ANY specifics.
Just develop a program.

I haven't made up my mind on what the application will be. I rercently got a few e-books on vb.net and I'm just going though them learning more about vb. I had been using it for a while already but there was a lot I didn't formally know. Now I'm really familiar with the IDE and I know more about VB as a programming language. Now I know what intellisense is and I know about all the formating options, usefull knowledge.

I'm not going to spend weeks programming. I'll make something fairly simple but I'll do it properly and keep it clean. Some ideas, some more difficult than others -
. Data dictionary application that uses a database as storage.
. Fairly simple word editing application.
. Interest and Loan calculator that doesn't use the built in functions.
. Snake.
. Battleships

Purp|e

miesynth
HSC
lol ... wow you guys seem kinda limited in what you can do ... ours was like 'eh, make whatever you want ... '

we had things ranging from database related stuff to completely insane versions of mini golf and monopoly :)

timgurto

HSC
we can do whatever.

there are people doing checkers, snakes and ladders, a calculator.

i'm remaking age of Empires

Ghost1788

HSC
we had no limits on what we could as long as the program read/write to files and used the data obtained in some way...

Ollz San

D.E.B
HSC
yep, we're also allowed to make anything we want to.
which is actually hard for me because I HATE choosing on my own.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)