The Catcher In The Rye? (1 Viewer)

fragility89

Blacktown, to be more specific, Stanhope Gardens
HSC
Has anybody read the book 'The Catcher In The Rye' by J.D Salinger? I think that would be a pretty good book to choose for a related text. It's kind of an inner journey because as the protagonist Holden Caufield explores New York, he gets more depressed and embarks on (besides a physical journey) an inner journey.

doradiamond

HSC
hey, yeh i've read the book and definitely agree it would be a good text to do... in fact i think it was one of the supplied texts last year? (not sure) very "coming-of-age" book though

moffat

Yeah. Think about it.
HSC
my friend's eng adv class studied 'the catcher in the rye' in year 11..
basically, all texts have some kind of inner journey. the best idea is do use a shorter text-a short story/poem/article/song it's just easier to go into depth about a shorter text, in the time you have to write about it

nwatts

HSC
moffat said:
my friend's eng adv class studied 'the catcher in the rye' in year 11..
basically, all texts have some kind of inner journey. the best idea is do use a shorter text-a short story/poem/article/song it's just easier to go into depth about a shorter text, in the time you have to write about it
If you're a good writer there's no problem with choosing a large text and specifically focusing on one aspect of it. Picking shorter texts simply because they're shorter is pretty ridiculous.

On Catcher in the Rye - yes it could work. The stream-of-consciousness style in which it is written will easily help you link in technique points with those relating to his character arc, which is your inner journey. His voice changes significantly from the early passages to those right at the end as he comes home with his sister. Make sure, though, you draw some correlation between Catcher in the Rye and the other texts you study. Otherwise it'd be better to pick a text that shares elements/comments on the journey with your other related material.

And this is for everyone: pick a text based on what it has to say about the journey, not whether or not it features a journey. Evaluation gets you marks. Comparing what two different texts have to say about the journey will result in a far, far stronger essay than simply demonstrating that two of your texts feature an inner journey. The vast majority of students fall into the latter. Try to steer clear.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)