"The Courtyard" - Law Forum Social Thread (1 Viewer)

Streeter

HSC
Welcome to...
The Courtyard
The Law Forum Social Thread

This thread is aimed to be a general discussion thread for aspiring or current law students. Feel free to use it as a place to get to know other students from across the country. Tell us where you are from, are you studying law, what year are you in? What would you like to accomplish with your degree? What made law your subject area of choice? The main idea is to get to know people in the same boat as you, and for you to get to know them. If there is a place to let your hair down and go a little off-topic, this is it.

Although this is a general discussion thread there should probably be a few rules:

And that's about it.

Last edited:

Streeter

HSC
Tell us where you are from, are you studying law, what year are you in? What would you like to accomplish with your degree? What made law your subject area of choice? The main idea is to get to know people in the same boat as you, and for you to get to know them. If there is a place to let your hair down and go a little off-topic, this is it.
I may as well jump in and let you know who I am.

• I live in (and love) Queensland
  • I am studying a double degree of Law and business, and I'm in my third year
  • Law was my subject of choice merely as a result of challenge. I like a challenge and I though Law would provide one. I am also attracted to the potential pay prospects and the work.
  • I really want to be involved with Family law in some way. Basically because I want to help people more specifically then just filling out paperwork for a living

twistedtigers

HSC
N/A
I'm a final year law student living in WA and have loved my studies so far, but must admit I'm starting to feel burnt out by the study.

To make it worse, according to my understanding, it's just been decided we're scrapping the articled clerk system and now all graduates must complete PLT before obtaining work as a restricted practitioner. The course takes another 3 months study at a cost of $7k and I must admit I am feeling very disheartened and seriously questioning why I am studying law at all. I love the work and have experience in the industry, but given that it is a stressful job with fairly long hours, I am thinking about changing to a teaching degree once I finish this degree. The thought of earning $52k straight out of uni only working 30 hour weeks, about 9 months of the year is very tempting. It's only a 12 month degree with simple exam requirements (when there are any) and only $500 a unit...

Maybe I'm just succumbing to exam pressure and will feel reinspired once I get disgusting Administration Law out of the way...

pearshaker

HSC
N/A
I'm a grad working in practice. Did my LLB degree at QUT in Brisbane and am now working in Canberra in private practice.

I wanted to get into law because I was never satisfied with just learning one thing - I wanted to continue to learn throughout my career. As law always changes and adapts to society (to some degree), I thought it'd be a good choice.

I have every intention of doing post-grad studies as I want to get into teaching at some level, be it university or tafe etc.

I have an interest in criminal law and procedure, family law and professional ethics.

ninjapuppet

HSC
N/A
The thought of earning $52k straight out of uni only working 30 hour weeks, about 9 months of the year is very tempting.
That does sound tempting doesnt it? But do you really think, ALL teachers get full time work easily? Like all professions, there are negatives to teaching too which I dont know about.

My aunt is a highschool teacher and has for the last 10 years, been complaining how she should have done law! I'm guessing From her point of view, she probally has no idea what its all about, except that her friends who are lawyers all drive nice cars and have bigger houses than her. its all relative.

Just tough it out for now mate, I found Admin and constitutional law the 2 driest subjects.

pearshaker

HSC
N/A
That does sound tempting doesnt it? But do you really think, ALL teachers get full time work easily? Like all professions, there are negatives to teaching too which I dont know about.

My aunt is a highschool teacher and has for the last 10 years, been complaining how she should have done law! I'm guessing From her point of view, she probally has no idea what its all about, except that her friends who are lawyers all drive nice cars and have bigger houses than her. its all relative.

Just tough it out for now mate, I found Admin and constitutional law the 2 driest subjects.
Hated consitutional (and it clearly hated me) and administrative.

Who's to say you have to choose teaching or law? Why can't you do both and teach law?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)