The Crucible and Belonging basic notes (1 Viewer)

closmo

HSC
The Crucible and Belonging

BELONGING
  1. Human Behaviour

• segregation
  • intergration
  • authority
  • alienation
  • assimilation
  • individuality
  • community
  • identity
  • exclusion
  • acceptance
  • conformity
  • hypocracy

McCarthyism: a politically motivated practice of making accusations of disloyalty, subversion, or treason without proper regard for evidence. (in the 50's)

Thesis

Miller is commenting on the basic human and community instinct of self survival, forcing people to change their views so they can belong

Miller is exploring the ways in which fear can divide a community.

DRAMATIC TECHNIQUES

• Props
  • Sound effects
  • stage direction
  • lighting (used symbolically)
  • Authorial commentary (text)
  • Dramatic Irony
  • Positioning of characters
  • contrasting scenes
  • allegory
  • sound effects
  • power of suggestion
  • pace/pausing
  • character relationships
LANGUAGE TECHNIQUES

• Imagery: light/dark, stones/weight, heaven/hell, birds/flying-freedom, whips, paper/name

The Devil is a symbol of fear which is used to control people

The Crucible is a modern tragedy, forcing the characters to look at themselves and notice their flaws
  • Proctor and his relationship with Abigail and Elizabeth
  • He is also placed into making alienating decisions
  • His death reaffirms the importance of courage, integrity and humanity

The essence of drama is CONFLICT
  • Each act builds on the conflict
  • Act 1: “I saw Goody Booth with the Devil” (Abigail)
  • Act 2: “Aye, naked! And the wind, God's icy wind, will blow!”
  • Act 3: “God is dead!” (Hale)
  • Act 4: “The final drum roll crashes, then heightens violently”

Stage Directions:
  • Miller uses extensive stage directions and commentary.
  • This can be used as a tool to bring you into the play to make you belong
  • Or disengage you as it disrupts the play

Setting:
  • Historical setting to examine the human psyche
  • Light and Dark is a common motif (humans innate goodness vs. inner evil)

The Language:
  • Emotive language and repeated exclamations, which show conflicts
  • Confronting imagery of force and evil

CHARACTERS

Proctor:
  • Chooses not to belong
  • Refuses to name others which shows his humanity
  • independent thinker, refuses authoritarian demands of church (Parris) who divides the community with his “fire and brimstone” attitude (I like not the sound of this 'authority'! Act I)
  • But he is seen as someone who is threatening the cohesion of the community

Abigail:
  • Independent and free thinking, she has become hardened because she witnessed her parents slaughter
  • She belonged to no family
  • lack of love has made her: bitter, opportunistic, devoid of conscience and calculating
  • Witchcraft indulges her desire to be unconventional
  • She leads the girls to commit a terrible crime against humanity

Elizabeth:
  • She feels as if she does not belong to her home
  • She recognises her own flaws and therefore will help to rebuild communal belonging.

Ideas:
  • Communal belonging can only be achieved through understanding, tolerance and compassion
  • Mob mentality unites the members of the community who are bitter, ambitious and jealous
  • Rebecca Nurse- exemplifies the attitude and values that are essential for a strong community
  • From the beginning she questions the presence of evil/witchcraft, begs for common sense
  • Her death shocks members of the community into action
  • Individuals have the power to destroy communal belonging “Long-held hatreds of neighbours could now be openly expressed, and vengeance taken...”
  • Giles says trouble has been brewing for years “...It's a deep thing, and dark as a pit”
  • Parris is driven by greed and social acceptance, his relentless sermons on sins and the devil have divided the community
  • Abigail's actions have been triggered by her insecurity regarding her reputation and her hatred for Elizabeth
  • Church leaders have been too authoritarian
  • The pressure to belong and conform has the potential to threaten independence
  • Belonging to a group/community is not always a good thing
  • Freedom and independence can become casualties of conformity (“a person is either with this court or he must be counted against it”)

HSC EXAM
  • The question must shape your answer
  • Thesis must be developed and sustained
  • personal response to how belonging is perceived and how your thoughts have changed

The Crucible is a play about the Salem witch trials in the 16th Century, written in the 1950's in response to commission of un-American activities held by Senator McCarthy.
Miller wanted to highlight the similarities between the two events, just as Puritans accused each other of being witches and consorting with the devil as an excuse to eliminate personal and political rivals, Americans were accusing others of being communists to eliminate their own enemies.

People of the town are:

Strict, sombre, barbaric, dark, fanatics, united and defined by fear, minded each others business

“To the European world the whole province was a barbaric frontier inhabited by a seat of fanatics”, this statement reflects the state of Miller's own town and the fanatic and sometimes blunt views of his community. “They believed in short that they held in their steady hands the candle that would light the world”. This is very similar to the feelings of the American people during the 1950's regarding the fight against communism.

Quotes on Imagery
pg 13 Through it's leaded panes the morning sunlight streams
pg 15 the virgin forest was the Devil's last preserve, his home base and the citadel of his final stand.
Pg 21 It's death drivin' into them, forked and hoofed
pg 72 I'll tell you what's walking Salem- vengeance is walking Salem

Quotes on Social Standing/Reputation
pg 20 Abigail There be no blush about my name
pg 20 Parris I have fought to bend these stiff-necked people to me
pg 30 Abigail I never knew the lying lessons I was taught by all these Christian women
pg 85 Parris All innocent and Christian people are happy for the courts in Salem!

Character Quotes
pg 32 Rebbecca I have eleven children, and I have seen them all through their silly seasons
pg 35 Parris There is either obedience or the church will burn like Hell is burning!, It is not for you to say what is good for you to hear
pg 41 Proctor I have heard you to be a sensible man, Mr Hale. I hope you'll leave some of it in Salem

Satty08

HSC
I can't thank you enough! I knew most of the main points but you had really though outside the box with this and drastically changed my trail of thought.. i have been reading/watching this play all day! i have my CSSA trials tomorrow :p and it's my AoS text! Thanks a-lot!

:)

HSC
Hey thx closmo, these points should strengthen my prescribe text more in my essay now :)

oxyray

goodluck.
HSC
:O you are a life saver, i think you should just have my english teachers job!!

tordor159

HSC
thank you so much. u seem to know exactly what u are talking about.
do u have any ideas on related material for the crucible thats where im really stuck?

closmo

HSC
Sorry for the late reply. Related texts to the crucible, for belonging? I'm doing Tom Hanks' movie "The Terminal" and I'm in the midst of finding a book called "Caliban's Hour" i reccomend finding an uncommon text that not many people will use. I'll list some more texts too.

The cartoon 'Daria' (another text I'm doing)
What's Eating Gilbert Grape? A movie by Johnny Depp (many levels of belonging in that)
the John Shannow Trilogy by David Gemmell
the bourne series ( movie or novels)
The Printer's Devil by Chico Kidd
Stephen King books have a level of belonging in them
Philippa Gregory books are good (Not just the historical fiction)
Robert Jordan books are good
The movie Girl, Interrupted with Wynona Ryder
there's a movie with Ashleigh Judd about Marilyn Monroe
Old school cowboy movies
The Magnificent Seven
The King and I
Phantom of The Opera
Les Miserable (non musical version)
Bedazzled with Brendan Fraizer and Liz Hurly
hot Fuzz
Finding Neverland

there's more I'm sure I just can't be bothered.
Hope it's helped.

jr_1992

HSC
I think that reading through all these post has helped to explain the crucible better in an hour that a whole term that my teacher tried.

Atef

HSC
The Crucible Themes
Fear and paranoia of Witch crafty
Identity
Individuality

sophie_grace_11

HSC
Thanks, thats a huge help. Does the terminal have a lot in common with the crucible?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)