The Crucible (1 Viewer)

lolzlolz

HSC
Does anyone know anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in this text?

may22

HSC
Consider the behaviours, attitudes and motives of the characters

HSC
A major anomaly would be the character of John Proctor who is able to perserve in a community engulfed by hysteria, consequently upholding his personal values and hence, reaching redemption.

In your essay, I would consider this both individually (i.e. the journey he faces internally to forgive himself for his adultery) and collectively (his decision to uphold virtue in the oppressive circumstances of Salem society).

Contrast this to other characters. For example, Mary Warren is a character through which Miller illustrates the paradoxes between the best and worst of human nature. In other words, whilst Proctor acts morally, Mary forgoes ethics for personal safety. This is also true of Reverend John Hale who places emphasis on survival as evident through his monologue: “Life, woman, life is God’s most precious gift; no principle, however glorious, may justify the taking of it." Another example of a paradox could be Danforth who manipulates the weakened justice system for his own interests.

Last edited:

ACYNED

HSC
A major anomaly would be the character of John Proctor who is able to perserve in a community engulfed by hysteria, consequently upholding his personal values and hence, reaching redemption.

In your essay, I would consider this both individually (i.e. the journey he faces internally to forgive himself for his adultery) and collectively (his decision to uphold virtue in the oppressive circumstances of Salem society).

Contrast this to other characters. For example, Mary Warren is a character through which Miller illustrates the paradoxes between the best and worst of human nature. In other words, whilst Proctor acts morally, Mary forgoes ethics for personal safety. This is also true of Reverend John Hale who places emphasis on survival as evident through his monologue: “Life, woman, life is God’s most precious gift; no principle, however glorious, may justify the taking of it." Another example of a paradox could be Danforth who manipulates the weakened justice system for his own interests.
Thank you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)