• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

the current english course is a waste of time, true or false (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
to the left, a little below the right and right in
HSC
iEdd said:
Shakespeare is pretty good if you just read it, without trying to read too much into it. Trust me, if you did your favourite movie or book in english, I'd imagine the subject would kill its entertainment value.
Not true.

Still adore The Great Gatsby and I studied that in high school. Same with Frontline, A Doll's House and Robert Browning's poetry.

iEdd

HSC
Tulipa said:
Not true.

Still adore The Great Gatsby and I studied that in high school. Same with Frontline, A Doll's House and Robert Browning's poetry.
Sorry, I meant to say if you don't like english already.

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
Well... apart from essays, we had a creative writing assessment in term1 and next year 50% of the extension course is creative writing...

better than essays, right??

Lumbargo

HSC
False. Current English Course is helping me understand understand texts. I deconstructed Neil Gaiman's Sandman the other day.

HSC
N/A
they say english and arts make you a "better" person; that's entirely bullshit (invalid), however, there's other arguments, such as the following, remotely more valid one - it is also said that you become more award of underlying meanings and stuff that no-one, of compos mentis, unless an enthusiast of such... stuff, would give a crap about.

english sorta ruins texts, though this is sorta made up by the insights that one gains from doing the course.
mjgeneral said:
No. Instead, I would track down your ancestors at that time, and shoot the male instead.

That's what you get for asking such stupid questions.

And to a lesser extent, bagging out English to death.
why not just kill his kind here and now?:confused:

perhaps you should just track everyone's/everything's common ancestor(s) and kill that (or them)
:hammer:

or not.

eddy11

HSC
Nice work 'lumbargo', but thats really only useful in English, no real life applications, unless you like to deconstruct texts in your spare time, but if you do, good on you. I just know i personally have better things to do. The english course is uesless because we never use it again (unless your an english teacher), except the lessons learned from texts which can be leart without discecting great works of artand it neglects to teach essential english skills as it should be.

Last edited:

cdiz

HSC
N/A
eddy11 said:
Nice work 'lumbargo', but thats really only useful in English, no real life applications, unless you like to deconstruct texts in your spare time, but if you do, good on you. I just know i personally have better things to do. The english course is uesless because we never use it again (unless your an english teacher), except the lessons learned from texts which can be leart without discecting great works of artand it neglects to teach essential english skills as it should be.
Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. :confused:

Lumbargo

HSC
Being able to understand what you read is not a useful, real-life skill? Great. I've wasted my life.

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
Lumbargo said:
False. Current English Course is helping me understand understand texts. I deconstructed Neil Gaiman's Sandman the other day.
It's great and all that you can deconstruct texts, but i think that texts were not meant to be deconstructed. You don't know how many books, movies, tv shows, plays etc have been ruined through studing them in English.

Like watching movies that ive studing in english.
All I can think is lighting, camera angles, pathetic fallacy ...

Donit you just want to enjoy texts for what they are, not for the complexity, etc crap like that!

Lumbargo

HSC
Depends on the text, of course. Some texts were just made on the spot. Others were made with ideas in mind.

Hell, being able to understand the methods people use to try and convince you of their ideas is worth it, in my books.

But I can read both ways.

Last edited:

eddy11

HSC
Lumbargo, regarding my last post, i can appreciate the need to be able to understand texts. What i was trying to say was that you can still get these meanings, and an understanding of the text WITHOUT waisting hours in english deconstructing them. The meaning and understanding can be seen by simply reading and appreciating these texts.

Even if texts were written with a meaning in mind, why should everyone have to deconstruct them. For many and unfortunately most people, english is a waste of time, it is more a subject for those who can appreciate the more in depth meaning of the text, and not everyone is capable of deconstructing a text to uncover these meanings.

Last edited:

rach777

HSC
english is shit, no wonder no one can spell anymore we have to waste all our time finding meanings in texts that dont really exist

Charity F

póg mo thóin
HSC
N/A
midifile said:
It's great and all that you can deconstruct texts, but i think that texts were not meant to be deconstructed. You don't know how many books, movies, tv shows, plays etc have been ruined through studing them in English.

Like watching movies that ive studing in english.
All I can think is lighting, camera angles, pathetic fallacy ...

Donit you just want to enjoy texts for what they are, not for the complexity, etc crap like that!
lol, that's true. however you can't deny that it has helped one to be more aware of these things??

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
eddy11 said:
Lumbargo, regarding my last post, i can appreciate the need to be able to understand texts. What i was trying to say was that you can still get these meanings, and an understanding of the text WITHOUT waisting hours in english deconstructing them. The meaning and understanding can be seen by simply reading and appreciating these texts.

Even if texts were written with a meaning in mind, why should everyone have to deconstruct them. For many and unfortunately most people, english is a waste of time, it is more a subject for those who can appreciate the more in depth meaning of the text, and not everyone is capable of deconstructing a text to uncover these meanings.
That's not true.

Authors don't just write stories for the hell of it, they construct stories with layers of meaning and purpose. You don't necessarily need to analyse them so much but you should be able to deconstruct a book in order to understand what the author was getting at.

Lumbargo

HSC
Point is that I can apply what I've learnt in english to deconstruct it without having to do it in class piece-by-piece.

Maybe that goes under "Reading and Appreciating". I dunno. Maybe what you learn in english, after a while, comes automatically...

eddy11

HSC
Tulipa said:
That's not true.

Authors don't just write stories for the hell of it, they construct stories with layers of meaning and purpose. You don't necessarily need to analyse them so much but you should be able to deconstruct a book in order to understand what the author was getting at.
i dont see in that message where i said that they do write stories for the hell of it.
Why should we be able to deconstruct a book in order to understand its meaning. That is like saying we should be able write balanced chemical equations, or play a musical instrument or use advanced mathmatics. I know, many or most people do not need these skills. Just as most people do not need to deconstruct texts. I CAN understand why people want to, and why some people need to. I cant understand why everyone must learn this particular skill, above all others. Why can't we choose.

Tulipa

Loose lips sink ships
HSC
eddy11 said:
i dont see in that message where i said that they do write stories for the hell of it.
Why should we be able to deconstruct a book in order to understand its meaning. That is like saying we should be able write balanced chemical equations, or play a musical instrument or use advanced mathmatics. I know, many or most people do not need these skills. Just as most people do not need to deconstruct texts. I CAN understand why people want to, and why some people need to. I cant understand why everyone must learn this particular skill, above all others. Why can't we choose.
If you can't see a meaning in a book what's the point of reading it?

The main reason that anyone attempts to slog it out and write a novel is to convey a message to someone. No matter how simple it is, if you find meaning, you've deconstructed the novel.

Also, not only does it help you understand works of fiction, no matter the medium, but it also helps you deconstruct theories and texts for other classes.

eddy11

HSC
i agree with you 100% lumbargo, we can "apply what [we]'ve learnt in english to deconstruct it without having to do it in class piece-by-piece." appreciatingWe did this in years 7-10, why must we continue. And it does go in reading and appreciating, by doin this we still get the meaning, why can't we just leave it at reading and appreciating without the next step of over analysing, which is not an essential skill for ALL of us.

mjgeneral

HSC
Well one main point i think raised b4, is that, is to prevent the further domination of fobs, which is true to an extent. The majority of students wont need to analyse texts in the future. So...answer this for me: Is it fair for a student to have his UAI pulled down because he could not decrypt shakespearian literature or poetry?? And we assume that he has fluent speaking skills and knows how to write essays.

Last edited:

Lumbargo

HSC
Eddy; which English course are you talking about? The compulsary one...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)