The Da Vinci Code (1 Viewer)

fi_babezy

Stealing is Looking
HSC
Agnes2810 said:
ur like me\!~~!~ except i didnt buy that book 1st.///////.. shiot sorry i got a new comp and cant get used to this keyboard hay... anyway... in angels and demons did u suspect that the carmelango guy would be da 1 dat did it?

lol, shhh don't give too much away!!

I didn't suspect him right away, but awwwww I can't say it cos it will ruin the book for ppl

BUT

When you consider him within context to the rest of the characters in the book, although he was very new age in respect to his church, he was a little too unorthdox...if you know what i mean

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Da Vinci ROCKS

This is such an awesome book
u wouldn't believe the stuff the guy says in it if anyone else told u
all this stuff is apparently true so i dunno
Dan Brown, the author, is definitely going to get killed. He pays out the world's largest religion in the world and expects to live. Some of those christians... if ya know what i mean... are psychos i.e KKK, and other weird cults
It is still an awesome book!!!
READ IT NOW!!

FULLY ILL!!

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
i, like many others, bought Da Vinci coz it was a bestseller for weeks, although i would like to believe that people are like sheep, one following the another.

as a piece of literary art, Da Vinci code is nothing special: a typical murder story, the detective being a key suspect, chased by the french equivalent of the FBI, trying to find the secret behind the murdered victim. in terms of plot development, character depth, literary skill if you will, it is probably on the same level as the many Clive Cusslers, Tom Clancys out there.

the reason i believe it is such a bestseller is because some of the 'secrets' discussed are so bloody controversial... the reaction has been so great that there have been many 'cracking the da vinci code' books published (pro-christian books highlighting the errors/misrepresentations made).

but then again, this just goes to show two things: "religio nihil est mihi"; some people are easily led to believe as fact the work of the fiction that they read.

stargaze

HSC
thankyou Frigid

keep in mind that the controversial ideas brought up are actually very very old theories well documented in other books.. Dan Brown has just managed to build a good story around those ideas

i did enjoy it tho :)

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
pfft... its books like this make people read so thats all that matters.. who cares if we are 'sheep' or whatever - its better than being a non-reader, its the same thing that most harry potter readers get knocked for-

Josie

Everything's perfect!
HSC
What the book has done is arranged theories from heavy scholarly tomes into an easily accessible fiction form, in the popular murder mystery genre. And if that makes these theories readily available and open for discussion, as they now are, well and good.

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
word of mouth is the strongest, people aren't sheep, they just pass on what a fantastic book it is

Courtenay

HSC
N/A
Cool book very revealing. Read angels and demons also by dan brown. Good read.

Got ripped into by an athiest friend for reading them....how could i being christian , but i found them more insightful than sacreligious (i think thats the word she used)

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
no I don't think it does.. maybe just the Catholic Church. I think it just 'reveals' information that was kept from the people. 'knock' is not the right word, just uncovering what these people (priory of sion) believe to be the truth.

illin

Ill factor
HSC
Well... what the Priory believe is the truth is a revelation to the Church that would ultimately drive heaps of its followers away because they thought they believed in something they tought was the Truth however, if clear evidence proves, millions will turn away from Chritianity.
I agree it does not 'knock' the Church, but some, like i, would now think that the whole religion is fundamentally based on a 'lie' (and i use the word lightly)
If other gospels (i.e. Mark, Mathew, Luke and John) were found, this would prove in my opinion that the story of Jesus is false and the true story lies in those documents
Jebus

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
This book is fiction. Anyway, here are few links to put things into context.

"The Da Vinci Code, Corrected" (by Craig Keener)
www.christianitytoday.com/ch/2004/002/8.15.html

"Comment: Da Vinci Code is Holy Blood conspiracy revisited" (by Ward Gasque)
www.canadianchristianity.com/cgi-bin/na.cgi?nationalupdates/040609conspiracy

"Bock's De-Coder Ring" (by Darrell Bock)
www.christianitytoday.com/le/2004/002/13.13.html

"Unscrambling the Da Vinci Code" (by Sarah Barnett)
www.anglicanmedia.com.au/index.php/article/articleview/1340/1/17

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)