The Da Vinci Code (1 Viewer)

Riviet

HSC
N/A
A rivetting read indeed, I really enjoyed the ingenious and complexity of the plot, looking forward to the movie when it's released in the cinemas.

SharkBait

HSC
me too!!! was NOT happy wit the ending. not satisfied.....was looking forward to something tangible. but instead, it was like "imagine for urself". bleh.

*Lozzie*

HSC
hey just wondering who has read this book and if its any good. Ive been meaning to read it for ages but have never got around to it and want to read it before i see the movie. so just want peoples comments on it.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
There are a tonne fo threads on this so have a search if you can. The book's reasonably controversial so even if people aren't debating the theological side, they will discuss the book's merits in terms of writing, plot and character.

I only read it last Summer and it was a good read. Fast and thrilling for me cos I'm not usually a thriller reader at all. The character development was really abysmal. I didn't really feel any empathy for any character, it all felt really 2-D. That's my main complaint. I can deal with bad writing but the characters had the potential to be interesting but it felt so contrived.

Meh, good read the first time around definitely. I wouldn't read it again, it's just not that kind of book.

I don't really now whether you should read the book before the movie. Up to you. Might be easier to keep up though.

I won't comment on the controversies in the book cos one: it's been discussed to death in other threads and two: I don't know much myself to discuss it intelligently.

HSC
"Do not start me on The Da Vinci Code ... a novel so bad that it gives bad novels a bad name. Even Dan Brown must live. Preferably not write, but live." - Salman Rushdie

transcendent

HSC
N/A
i liked the book for all the controversy it caused. i like it even more that people hate it so much, especially other certain people.

up all nite

HSC
da vinci code.. a great read...and everybody loves a conspiracy!... his other books are good too.. exept deception point.. dont even bother with that one.. it shouldnt even have gotten published.. pffft

davin

HSC
N/A
m0ofin said:
Angels and Demons > The Da Vinci Code
totally. much better book.

i think issue is a lot, not all, but a lot of criticism comes from people not keeping in mind that it is a work of fiction.

priesty

formerly wm_abusef
HSC
davin said:
i think issue is a lot, not all, but a lot of criticism comes from people not keeping in mind that it is a work of fiction.
yeh, thats wat caught out everyone. That 'FACT' page at the beginning made everyone read the rest of the novel as if it were a canonical text. But there are historical and other such errors in it. Shame.

But yeh, i am looking forward to the movie. The one issue remains however that many more people who watch the movie begin to belive the story's claims.

I'm gonna start reading Angels and Demons soon. I hear that most people enjoyed it better than The Da Vinci Code. Yes?

davin

HSC
N/A
Angels and Demons, i thought, was a lot better. Partially science I liek that science is a bit more involved, but also i enjoy the twists the plot faces in that one a lot more.

tigerian

HSC
N/A
More info can be obtained on challengingdavinci.com

An interesting site.

davin

HSC
N/A
well, if they're intelligent, that does go a bit beyond shallow, doesn't it?

anyway, the reason i like his books isn't because of his style, per se, but the sort of book it is. I like the level of detail he goes to when mixing fact and fiction. for me, it feels very complete. (not saying its accurate). theres a lot of information to it, and as a nerd, that appeals to me. Clive Cussler is another author I prefer that does much the same thing.

paula310

HSC
I thought it was okay. It is written like a book for anyone to read. i think one of the only reasons it is so big is because it involves religion and politics. has anyone else noticed how these tend to make any piece of literature they are in renowned?????????

:wave:

`Osiris

HSC
Read it a while ago. Liked it, kept me reading it through the end. Dont really understand why there all this talk about it attacking the church and all that. Its just a book and fiction, to simply entertain.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)