• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

The Death of Silverchair (1 Viewer)

FiReStArTeR

Just opened this thread to see other people's opinions on the changing nature of Silverchair since their inception and their parting. Also whether or not Disassociatives (is that the right spelling?) was a good idea or not. What do you think?

Brad

the dissociatives is just diorama-era silverchair under a different name, i dont understand why he didnt just have ben and fuck, the other guy, i cant remeber his name playing on it. Its a bit too radiohead on happy pills for me.

I find its shit for people to live in the past daniel is never going back to frogstomp. It's a natural progression, NOT SELLING OUT

FiReStArTeR

Yer true its not selling out, but i reckon its a serious bitch that those days are gone. Look at the great things they did. went from "Body and soul I'm a freak" to the high pitched whining "somewhere down the barrol". Through natural progression something that was great was lost and was replaced with....happy pills in brad's words. Was 'From Faraway Stables' any good? i have to pick it up and do a wholemusic commentary on the dvd for music1. Tracklist shows some goods from Frogstomp, Freakshow and neon ballroom so it looks promising to me...

Brad

yeah, i think listening through silverchairs records is like living his life, i mean you go from the young angst of frogstomp and freak to the depths of depression and facing death when it was neon ballroom, then you can see from diorama and the dissociatives he is happy now. I really respect him for changing, it showed he is doing what he wants to do with his life, if he just wanted to make money he would stick with silverchair. He can be a bit pretenious sometimes but it was always obvious that the other guys were filler, but they fill it good i must say. Daniel johns has always been the main focus, and forcing a kid of that age to be so brutally self-aware and under the constant media spotlight it was only a matter of time before he broke down. His outlook on life now is basically live it. although im not sure if he is doing drugs or if he is high on life, he looked a bit out of it on rove, and after his previous stances on drugs i would be dissapointed if he was. but hey, its his choice

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
^ that is such a fucking great and honest account of silverchair and daniel johns

i agree with every word you say

i'm disappointed that silverchair broke up, like i am whenever any of my favourite bands break up, but hey its what happens

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
i liked silverchair......well i hated the band
but i like them for their talent

i didn't like their character

they had amazing lyrics and music composition were great!

tom_sampson

Brad you make a good point about him being brave enough to do what he wants and evolve his styles, but i'll always be a fan of early Silverchair, and frankly, in my opinion, Diorama sucked donkey nuts. It's a shame that such a great Australian band broke up, but while they were around they did wonders for Australian musics' reputation.

FiReStArTeR

Originally posted by tom_sampson
Brad you make a good point about him being brave enough to do what he wants and evolve his styles, but i'll always be a fan of early Silverchair, and frankly, in my opinion, Diorama sucked donkey nuts. It's a shame that such a great Australian band broke up, but while they were around they did wonders for Australian musics' reputation.
Yer I agree with that man, was wondering if anyone else shared my view or if they'd gone all teeny and loving greatest view and shit....

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
Originally posted by Brad
yeah, i think listening through silverchairs records is like living his life, i mean you go from the young angst of frogstomp and freak to the depths of depression and facing death when it was neon ballroom, then you can see from diorama and the dissociatives he is happy now. I really respect him for changing, it showed he is doing what he wants to do with his life, if he just wanted to make money he would stick with silverchair. He can be a bit pretenious sometimes but it was always obvious that the other guys were filler, but they fill it good i must say. Daniel johns has always been the main focus, and forcing a kid of that age to be so brutally self-aware and under the constant media spotlight it was only a matter of time before he broke down. His outlook on life now is basically live it. although im not sure if he is doing drugs or if he is high on life, he looked a bit out of it on rove, and after his previous stances on drugs i would be dissapointed if he was. but hey, its his choice
Total agreement. I love silverchair, but things can't stay the same. Music is about the musicians, and as they evolve and change, so will their music.

Farnarcle

He's allowed to move around as much as he likes. A painter doesn't have to stay a painter. They can move to something else, just cos it suits them.

The other dude is Paul Mac.

I'm all up for Aussie music.

nickw...

HSC
N/A
frog stomp was their only truly awsome album i reckon. i dont mind dissasotiaves, good to see more ausie music

stooge

silverchair has fallen off its legs i mean after neon ballroom silverchair didnt exist. it was a group of monkeys playing music under the name of silverchair

Macccca

wazzlewoozle
i havent even read the other posts but silverchair have not officially broken up. they are 'on a break'. sure the chances fo them coming back and doing another album are slim but you never know.

anyway silverchair are a great band who started very early on in their lives and as seen in their music have experinced many things which has effected their lives and in turn the music they make. personally i love every album they have released and rate them right up their with my top live acts, and i really do hope they end up back together and produce a new album.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)