The editting process (1 Viewer)

tez0r

Rawr?
HSC
How is everyone approaching it? I'm sort of just re-reading it on the comp and rewriting as i go along. I'm trying to put it off a bit though since my EE2 teacher hasn't emailed back. But i know some of you guys use a good ol' red pen and go crazy, and then retype, which i think is a hassle and a waste of time during this trial study period.

get_born

what ive done is edit the whole thing ive printed the copy and sat down going through it slowly. (lying down beats sitting at the desk- kills the back) Then I went back and what ever i edited on the paper i fixed on the laptop. Its like editing twice in one go, cos your rereading the second time.

HSC
N/A
I approached it from the top, and edit that as neccessary (the whole retyping thing takes way too long, especially if you're not actually changing every single word). When I was happy with something, I left a big gap between the "reworked" and "unconquered" work (about a third of a page, easy to find) because I did find I had to go backwards here and there to make a future point more logical.

However I also did the printing thing. Reading a hard copy is always a good thing, because drafts tend to look different on paper than they do on the computer screen (thus you can pick up more). So, if you have a critiqued hard copy as a guide for your reworking, then I say it's a good thing. :)

Jace

HSC
I printed it, went through and like commented on the entire thing, and stuck that in my logbook, then i i wrote up a new plot progression, rewrote it (only because it was nessasary, usually i dont) ive done the same thing with the second draft, but now im just going through and changing stuff as is nessasary, no more rewritting.

gordo

Resident Jew
HSC
last_chance said:
what ive done is edit the whole thing ive printed the copy and sat down going through it slowly. (lying down beats sitting at the desk- kills the back) Then I went back and what ever i edited on the paper i fixed on the laptop. Its like editing twice in one go, cos your rereading the second time.

good way to waste trees

ivan.

HSC
hard copy, read it, wrote all over it and then fixed it on the computer. repeat until brown.

Lunatic

HSC
Editing? Wrote 2/3 of one story, decided it was complete rubbish, 'filed' it as such, unfiled, put in journal. Typed up second story based very loosely (and I mean *very*) around first. Printed hard copy. Red pen. Gave red pen and red-penned hard copy to others. Had both returned. Went back to computer copy, made appropriate amendments... Printed off a hard copy of *that*, and now I just kind of read over it every now and then looking for small things that could be fixed. Until I find any, I'm content to say that the story component of my major work is finished. Hoorah!

J

jhakka

glitterfairy said:
I approached it from the top, and edit that as neccessary (the whole retyping thing takes way too long, especially if you're not actually changing every single word). When I was happy with something, I left a big gap between the "reworked" and "unconquered" work (about a third of a page, easy to find) because I did find I had to go backwards here and there to make a future point more logical.

However I also did the printing thing. Reading a hard copy is always a good thing, because drafts tend to look different on paper than they do on the computer screen (thus you can pick up more). So, if you have a critiqued hard copy as a guide for your reworking, then I say it's a good thing. :)
The advantage of a total retyping is that you pick up any mistakes you might have missed in your red pen phase.

paper cup

pamplemousse
HSC
tez0r said:
How is everyone approaching it? I'm sort of just re-reading it on the comp and rewriting as i go along. I'm trying to put it off a bit though since my EE2 teacher hasn't emailed back. But i know some of you guys use a good ol' red pen and go crazy, and then retype, which i think is a hassle and a waste of time during this trial study period.
yeah that's what I do.
um somebody actually went over my work using the word editing thingo and the only hard copy that I have is the one my teacher wrote all over at the beginning of term 1....

d_a_n_z

HSC
just to clarify, are you talking about editing in reflection statement?

PerfectByNature

I am Jack's wasted life
HSC
i like to print it of and scribble all over it, i find it easier to see mistakes when its on paper.
also, ive had my teacher have a look, and some friends, its very helpful having lots of friends who are good at english, spelling and all that!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)