the effing three network (1 Viewer)

HSC
I need to buy a new phone tomorrow cause my old one died, and cause im with 3 and they decide to be shitty and have ther own phones, i pretty much need to get a 3g one!

so.......

What phone do you have with 3, and is it good?

cheers :)

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Yeah 3 decided to be shitty - just like Telstra, Optus, Vodafone, etc.... Mobile phone companies run phone networks on specific frequencies different frequencies have pros and cons much like AM and FM radio.

This is the same for 2G and 3G networks. However because 2G networks have been around for a while most phone's manufactured today are 'quad-band GSM' e.g. they work on all 2G frequencies in use. As 3G networks are relatively new most phones only work on 1-2 frequencies.

So in short you need to pick a phone which will work on your chosen network, so what are the frequencies?
Telstra NextG UMTS850Mhz
Optus/Vodafone proposed extension UMTS900Mhz
Optus/Vodafone metro areas UMTS2100Mhz (masked to appear as two networks is actually just one)
Telstra 3G / 3 mobile UMTS2100Mhz

Then there are roaming agreements between providers, for all providers if your 3G coverage drops out the phone will roam onto 2G coverage, which will make calls but the internet is slow and expensive. Note: 3 mobile is scheduled to start roaming onto Telstra NextG from April, contact 3 for details.

So all up you need to look for a phone which supports UMTS2100Mhz, if the budget stretches to a dual-band I'd suggest an 850/2100Mhz combo as it will give you good options in Australia and when travelling overseas (europe/asia has good 2100 coverage and the USA is rolling out 850).

HSC
all i wanna know is what phones ppl have on 3 network, lol. i dont understand technical stuff!! :(

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
Look for a phone which is UMTS2100Mhz and you'll be fine.

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
all i wanna know is what phones ppl have on 3 network, lol. i dont understand technical stuff!! :(
It depends on what your budget is.
On the lower end the SE w595 is quite nice. Have a look at the website.

HSC
It depends on what your budget is.
On the lower end the SE w595 is quite nice. Have a look at the website.
Yes, w595 is hektics
Though only the black ones are nice and only available on voda.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
Or you could get my phone: Sony Ericsson W910i. It's on a very cheap plan and the battery life is better than Samsungs ;)

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
for some reason basically all 3's phones have gone up in price recently, i have the n95 8g which is awesome, it used to be free on the $49 cap but its now like 20 dollars or something. i also have a second phone which i take when i don't want to lose my proper one/if its too big or whatever, its some new-ish nokia one, i think its like $180 on prepaid or something and is fairly good too

dieburndie

Eat, Sleep, Repeat
HSC
for some reason basically all 3's phones have gone up in price recently, i have the n95 8g which is awesome, it used to be free on the $49 cap but its now like 20 dollars or something. i also have a second phone which i take when i don't want to lose my proper one/if its too big or whatever, its some new-ish nokia one, i think its like $180 on prepaid or something and is fairly good too
its probably the 3120
thats gone up too!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
yep the 3120, its awesome unless you need/want gps or a heaps high quality camera or whatever

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Remember a few technical aspects of the type of phone that you need (or write them down), and go to your local Cash Converters.

You can usually find a decent to top-end range phone that is in good condition and is working perfectly (Cash Converters test all their products before placement on the shelves). I got my last two phones from them and both have been great.

If you cannot find a 3 network locked phone, you can unlock it at it's provider or a third party source (usually $30 - $80), or unlock it yourself (take note of the needed tech specs so you know for certain that it will work on your providers network).

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
unlocked z750i from telstra.....*shrug* good enough phone

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)