The Elegant Universe (1 Viewer)

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
For all you sicience geeks out there. A damn great series.

SBS, tonight at 7:30pm.

Tonight's episode will be on string theory.

Could tiny strings vibrating in eleven dimensions be the ultimate explanation for everything? The Theory of Everything – nuts and bolts of physics – is one of the most ambitious and exciting theories every proposed, and one that eluded even Einstein.

The Theory of Everything, also known as string theory, proposes that the fundamental ingredients of nature are inconceivably tiny strings of energy, whose different modes of vibration underlie everything that happens in the universe.

The theory successfully unites the laws of the large – general relativity – and the laws of the small – quantum mechanics – breaking a conceptual logjam that has frustrated the world’s smartest scientists for nearly a century.

Beginning Monday, 29 November at 7.30 pm on SBS Television, bestselling author-physicist Brian Green presents The Elegant Universe, a lavishly computer-animated three-part documentary series.

If string theory proves correct, the universe we see obscures a reality that is far more rich and subtle than anyone ever imagined – a universe with numerous hidden dimensions, a universe in which the fabric of space can tear, a universe that may be but one of many parallel universes ceaselessly popping in and out of existence throughout eternity. (SBS)

Collin

HSC
N/A
Ah yes.. string theory. Personally, I think the theory is a bit too ambitious, but nonetheless interesting. Now if only someone would finalise a unified field theory.. atleast that seems perhaps achievable in my lifetime. BTW, thanks for the heads up, I'll try to catch it tonight.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
I've always believed that energy isn't limited to a particular time frame, and that if this sort of thing holds, then conservation of energy may mean that energy in one time period could be "destroyed", and originate in another time period, maintaining equilibrium. Would also explain the big bang and the big crunch theories - does our existance today in fact explain why we exist at all? Or cause and effect - can the effect in fact be its own cause?

Collin

HSC
N/A
Interesting show, I enjoyed it. Presentation was good aswell.

Phanatical said:
I've always believed that energy isn't limited to a particular time frame, and that if this sort of thing holds, then conservation of energy may mean that energy in one time period could be "destroyed", and originate in another time period, maintaining equilibrium. Would also explain the big bang and the big crunch theories - does our existance today in fact explain why we exist at all? Or cause and effect - can the effect in fact be its own cause?
Conservation of energy is a farce anyway, a prelude concept with a restricted domain introduced to high school students before they get introduced the details of nuclear reactions.

wanton-wonton

HSC
i think we missed episode 1, theres also a episode 3,

the one that we watched was episode 2.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah episode one was on Einstein, relativity and quantum mechanics etc.

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
You can watch it here if you missed it on tv - or want to watch it some other time. We were supposed to watch it for Physics but pretty much forgot, so someone in our class found it online to watch =)

Great show.

AK Gumbi

Not a M-O-Derator
HSC
Thanks MedNez for the link!...i knew it was on yesterday but i only remembered at 8:30.

Collin

HSC
N/A
tabularasa said:
I taped both its interesting though i think that string thoery is a bit like the aether theory.
How?

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
wow string theory... some of it was a bit over my head but I got the idea..cool

MedNez

:o>---<
HSC
N/A
tabularasa said:
I taped both its interesting though i think that string thoery is a bit like the aether theory.
Yeah, what JKDDragon said, how so?

tabularasa

HSC
BAsically i meant that like the aether theory it aimed to prove that light needed a medium to pass ythorugh.this is similar as it trys to unify the ideas of quantum physics to Gravity. IT seems that they are trying to make logic of an illogical place and the fact that stroing theory cannot be proven by any means possible as the guy said "The theory is safe but is it then philosophy" So thats my view on it. PLus the fact that there are 6 extra dimension and then another 6 dimensions for anti matter makes me skeptical.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
Yeah when he was explaining that stuff about the 6 extra dimensions i couldnt really comprehend it and my brain almost went into meltdown. I guess you have to subordinate all logic when it comes to these sorts of theories.
Does anyone have any sites that explain the physics and math behind these theories simplistically. I didnt do any science in the the HSC but am nonetheless interested in learning more but all ive found is really complicated scientific and mathematical jargon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)