the exam... how'd u go? (1 Viewer)

crazed_fairy

the exam wasn't as easy as i had expected...and i swear we neva did the Am/FM radio prac. disasters option was good though i thought...i wrote like nearly 5 pages for the 7mark question on earthquakes and bushfires...so yeh all up i rekon i'll get a band 6...well at least i hope...

mickey_87

my thoughts

I don't think the exam was too bad, was a bit harder than the past papers i had done, but all in all i reckon it was fair. What was with the missing olive oil one but??? hehehe

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
i hate it.. i usually do great at science and i love it but i hated this exam..

i missed the question about the oil too.. i had no idea
and i totally forget the stuff about the carbon dioxide in the air.. stupid friggen

we didnt do the last experiment in the syllabus for our option so i missed that aswell..

so i threw away about 7 marks..

punkd

i thought it was ok, if you knew your stuff it was fine. unfortunately, i didnt study a lot of the things in there. for that 7 mark question about the development of communication systems i wrote about using electromagnetic waves for communication and satellites, but now when i think about it their pretty much the same. what should i have wrote about?

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
Umm I think the missing oil one was to do a comparitive experiment of the solution, suspension and the colloid. Do you remember that one? I could be COMPLETELY wrong - correct me if I am guys! You shine a beam of light through all mixtures and when the light is scattered and giving a cloudy effect on the colloid one... the particles are therefore evenly dispersed throughout- so you have created a colloid with enough oil balance.

Happeninchick

Gilmore Girl
HSC
punkd said:
i thought it was ok, if you knew your stuff it was fine. unfortunately, i didnt study a lot of the things in there. for that 7 mark question about the development of communication systems i wrote about using electromagnetic waves for communication and satellites, but now when i think about it their pretty much the same. what should i have wrote about?
Was that the timeline question? and the impace on society?

Skeeta

HSC
ok i did those questions COMPLETELY different.

for the colloid one i said to actually complete the experiment - when it turns from a smooth consistency to one of oil on the top (from colloid to suspension) you have gone too far.. basically i said it was a guess and check thing... i felt so smart when i did the test now i feel like an idiot.

for the timeline one i did RADIO and INTERNET
radio impacted society because it was a new form of communication
two way radio led to the discovery of the telephone
used in wars etc

internet is an impact
ppl can work from home
form of communication
site of information
also problems with hacking and exercise levels dropping

the colloid prac HAPPENINGCHICK described sounded ok but it would be hard to shine light through a colloid of mayonnaise because it is so thick. i doubt the light would penetrate muchat all.. wen we did the experiment we did a colloid of chemicals - not food products.. dont know whats goin on really lol

Gundi

The Man
HSC
i totally forgot wat was the coloid question :S argh dont tell me i missed something.
for the impact on society one
i did internet
- great source of information
- communication device
- but loss of social skills
- hacking

mobile phones
- form of wireless communication
- can be cont3cted in most places
- but studies have shown possiblities of cancer growths etc

i thought the blood multiple choice was and it was extrememly wordy i hated that elctromagntetic energy chanceging to eleectrical energy. could of they worded it any harder. and the bloody medication one. wat the hell was 14. argh i lost so many silly marks. i usually do reall well in science but i stuffed up when it counted

Skeeta

HSC
dont worry same here... i wasnt worrying 2 much in this exam.. my raw trial mark was mid 90's (#1 yeah!)and the next one under me was in the 70's. i also did really well in the other assessments and half yearlies.. i thort that i was goin great so i didnt really have anything that i needed to knuckle down and study for...

i got in there and when WOOOOOT???

i think i did OK now that i think about it

BTW i assumed that if you got over 90 it was a band 6? apparently this is just heresay??
anyone know??

Gundi

The Man
HSC
sounds like you did pretty well over the year. good on you. im sure u didnt go too badly in the exam. im pretty peeved with how i went like argh i dont know. it was a really blower

Skeeta

HSC
yeah just remember that if the exam was hard they mark easier ... if that makes sense

the scaling and stuff is generally better in that case too..

my mum works at a selective school and she spoke to some of the kids after the exam and they said it was really hard - EVEN the smart kids thought it was hard so that was a big relief!!
she rang me like 2 minutes after lol

mandles

I was the same! most of the stuff i had studied wasn't in there, but i b/s'ed my way through it. Did anyone else do Disasters? i thought that was so hard! much harder than pervious tests i have looked at!
And of course i hadn't done the experiment, so had to make that one up.. uh oh!

Whitey87

HSC
we did disasters and we did this totally kick ass experiment with air pressure and we got to explode this glass flask cause of the build up in air pressure, glass went everywhere and it was heaps sharp, it rocked so much.

Skeeta

HSC
i just did one with the barometer

the baloon stretched over a tin with a straw and pin on the end

cuivienen

HSC
The crappy thing about that exam was the fact that they were nitpicking on the little insignificant points in the course...the multiple choice...like what the hell was that...much harder than previous years...but the good thing was the fact that we covered everything...luckily...

Last edited:

marcus03

i thought the exam was alot trickier than any of the previous tests in the last 3 years. Havn't seen the rest. Usually questions in this subject are alot broader and simpler but this time they were alot more complicated. Hopefully who ever scales subjects up or down can see it was harder and wont scale as harshly. Like most i don't remember doing the experiments except the disasters one, my whole class said the same.
Does anyone know if this site has that thing like for maths where it tells u how in previous years a mark of say 69 ended up being 79 or band 5?????

Last edited:

marley_princess

HSC
S. Science exam

O it was pretty good i thought........carbon dioxide thing was the limewater test.......and i have no idea what ur talkin bout with colloid thing with oil i just did guess cheak method and repeat for reliability :S......im hopeing for band 5 thats what i should be expecting apparently so meh.....but hey 5 pages for that 7 mark question no way waste of time marker would just got bored with to much info.....and for communiaction and impact of society i did television and internet prob. wrong but meh it's done now hehe and yeah agree multiple choice was totelly weird happy i left it till last.......and worst question of exam i reckon was the heart one was so not expecting it and know i so got it wrong hehe meh it was only 2 marks though so il live,
Anyways peace and love
Good luck with the rest of exams

punkd

lmao for the disasters option question was the experiment we did when i chucked a hissy fit at my teacher (she called my work 'dodgy') and i swore big time and called her a few not-so-nice things and walked out (well really kicked my way out) and she called after me that that experiment would come up in the hsc...fate sucks!
i just wrote about playing with a barometer cos we did that once

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)